Noob question 4 wheel drive

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #81  
We used to do that on our trucks running in the sand dunes. Made all the difference when we dropped tire pressures.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #82  
Funny how we managed farming for years without a 4WD tractor and now it's needed/used all the time.

As for the 4WD braking issue which I know nothing about other than how my tractor works, I would think if a tractor is in 4WD and the brakes are depressed they would almost have to affect the front wheels along with the rears. I know nothing about how other tractors operate but when my 5090 is in 4WD both front wheels spin if I'm bogging.
Funny how we managed farming for years (centuries!)without tractors.

Take advantage of technological advances. GPS, turbos, even 4wd.
Most TBN users are probably like me with CUT/SCUT and not full time farmers. My needs are not to run long distances in a straight line with ground engaging implements over relatively flat surfaces that have been used for the same purposes for generations. Even something as simple as mowing heavy grass in a heavy spring dew benefits greatly from 4wd.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive
Thank you for all your help everyone

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #85  
Funny how we managed farming for years (centuries!)without tractors.

Take advantage of technological advances. GPS, turbos, even 4wd.
Most TBN users are probably like me with CUT/SCUT and not full time farmers. My needs are not to run long distances in a straight line with ground engaging implements over relatively flat surfaces that have been used for the same purposes for generations. Even something as simple as mowing heavy grass in a heavy spring dew benefits greatly from 4wd.
I just find 4WD cumbersom if it's not needed. It impedes the ability to make short radius turns and affects right and left braking while making turns. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't own a tractor without 4WD or economy PTO at this point in my life. I just don't use it unless I need it. And that is not very often unless we have had lots of rain or if I'm pulling the correct implement.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #86  
I just find 4WD cumbersom if it's not needed. It impedes the ability to make short radius turns and affects right and left braking while making turns. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't own a tractor without 4WD or economy PTO at this point in my life. I just don't use it unless I need it. And that is not very often unless we have had lots of rain or if I'm pulling the correct implement.
On many Kubota tractors, the opposite is true. Both of mine are equipped with “Bi-speed turn” feature.
When you make a tight turn in 4WD, it actually pulls you through the turn. It activates one tire to spin faster than the other, which tightens your tuning radius.
Its a Kubota exclusive often overlooked by the average buyer. Its amazing how well it works.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #87  
I used to use unlocked brakes all the time to turn my old Ford 1700 (no power steering) but hardly ever use them now with power steering. Unlocked brakes were useless on older Kubota HST CUTs since the brake pedals are right above the HST rocker - quite a contortion act to get one foot on an unlocked brake and the other on the HST pedal. Lately Kubota has eliminated the clutch pedal on the left and moved the brakes over to that side. So my B2610 starts like a car and drives like a car. I really don't spin it much with a brake on though, that tears up the ground too much.

BTW I never take my tractors out of 4WD except when I drive them on pavement. These tractors were designed and optimized to operate in 4wd. They can break down, but I've never heard of a four wheel drive linkage failing from overuse before something else totals it out. Nor have I ever encountered in my forty years of experience any off-road operation that is safer in two wheel drive. If anyone can think of such, please post it.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #88  
There is a thread about front differential locks here:

I haven't had the pleasure of driving anything with a locking front differential yet but it sounds like a nice option.

Just curious -- for machines that hinge in the middle of the frame for turning, such as dedicated loaders, what is the deal with 2WD, 4WD, and differential locking? Since the hinge can be halfway between axles, there wouldn't be any front/rear difference in wheel travel in a turn, and they tend to have four identical wheels and tires, so little harm in 4WD full time. I guess they could have a single differential lock control that activates both differentials?

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #89  
Hi everyone! First time tractor owner here and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I have a 25hp Branson and live in Florida. I’m using the tractor for mostly bucket and grapple work. My land is pretty sandy but not enough softness that I get stuck in. i do feel the tractor bog down frequently. I run my RPMs 15-1800 when working the two implements. Is this the sweet spot to run RPMs and also should I be running it in 4x4 mode all the time or stick with 2 wheel until I get stuck? Thanks for any help! Mike
Fully agree with Jeff. Run in 4wd ALL the time unless on paved surfaces for a period of time. In 2WD, you only have 2 wheel brakes. VERY dangerous if you do down any slope at all in 2WD.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #90  
For what it's worth, when I bought my 35hp Branson the dealer told me I should run in 2wd unless I actually needed 4wd because of stresses on the various parts. When I plow I use 4wd.
I also agree with grsthegreat about using 2wd until starting to get stuck and I apply the same principle to my truck as well: When you get stuck in 2wd you can shift into 4wd and probably get out, but when you're already in 4wd when you get stuck you're screwed.
Yours is an age old argument. Often if you wait to shift until you need 4WD, it's too late as. Learn the limitations of your vehicle and driving ability and don't exceed them.