Noob question 4 wheel drive

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #72  
I use my split brakes all winter long for plowing snow.

Spring through fall I lock the pedals together.

Both have invaluable uses if you know how to operate your tractor.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #73  
Sure about that? every FWA tractor I've seen has an open front differential with a mechanical lockup.
I stuck it twice in one day a couple of months ago. Almost got it out the second time. I never saw either front wheel not spinning. That's all I'm going by. I know my 5310 wasn't like that, one wheel or the other would spin.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #74  
I use my split brakes all winter long for plowing snow.

Spring through fall I lock the pedals together.

Both have invaluable uses if you know how to operate your tractor.
After 30+ years I know just fine... I chain up my tires when plowing and blowing snow. No brake steer ever needed.

Attachments

• 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
   / Noob question 4 wheel drive #75  
I stuck it twice in one day a couple of months ago. Almost got it out the second time. I never saw either front wheel not spinning. That's all I'm going by. I know my 5310 wasn't like that, one wheel or the other would spin.
Could very well be. Not at all familiar with green tractors. Just orange ones and both mine have diff locks for the front differentials.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #76  
If mine has a front diff lock I'm not aware of it. Just the rear lock on the floor pedal.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #77  
father in laws M6800 had a seperate diff lock for the front and one for the rear but his M7040 has only the rear diff lock apparently it has a limited slip clutch in the front diff.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #78  
An open differential, front or rear, will have equal traction to both wheels UNTIL the microsecond that one side or the other loses traction. At that moment the wheel that lost grip will spin....prove me wrong.

Last edited:
   / Noob question 4 wheel drive #79  
Hi everyone! First time tractor owner here and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I have a 25hp Branson and live in Florida. I’m using the tractor for mostly bucket and grapple work. My land is pretty sandy but not enough softness that I get stuck in. i do feel the tractor bog down frequently. I run my RPMs 15-1800 when working the two implements. Is this the sweet spot to run RPMs and also should I be running it in 4x4 mode all the time or stick with 2 wheel until I get stuck? Thanks for any help! Mike

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #80  
Mike,

I think you will find that the key to successfully operating any vehicle in soft sand has more to do with tire pressure than anything else. Try experimenting with reduced tire pressure in your tractor to find the sweet spot. Keep using 4wd and low range gearing with rpm’s in the range that provides maximum torque. You can find the power curve graph in your owner’s manual. Have fun experimenting.