nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient?

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #32  
So was I. But now the binder has a slot at the end of the handle - I use one of those mini shock cords. So much quicker if I have to adjust load. I also readjust the binders after driving 10 miles or so. Usually is a little looser and I tighten. I usually travel around 300 mi if I have to haul the tractor. After I make the initial chain check, I only need to check during refueling. Then, I never have to worry about the load. But, good point. I have wrapped many binders with a ball of chain. What do you think about the short chain idea? I have not tried it, but may try one chain and binder sometime. Seem like most commercial car haulers use that around here. I just never thought of it.
I'm too old school to change now. LOL I'm guessing my binders are going on to 45 years old now long before somebody thought of adding a slot.
I can see the usefulness of a short chain on the binder if you move the same stuff every day like say excavators but as an all in one cure all I'm not so sure.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #33  
My first thought is that those chains you show are not rated for the tractor weight. That aside, I pull my tractor onto the trailer, run a chain thru a large 'o' ring I mounted to the front pushback. When chain is secured to trailer, I back the tractor up until chain is tight then I use a chain thru a ring in the rear hitch with a binder and snug that. It's fast and seems to work well.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #35  
as stated earlier on the rear it is much better to chain across the trailer on the dangles the preferred way is four corner a ratchet & chain on each,,, chain each implement including FEL

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #36  
For what it's worth, recently saw article in our paper about an accident just a few miles away from us. Lady in a Suburban had exited the freeway off ramp and was waiting behind traffic at a stop sign. The off ramp at that point is about 30' below the freeway and fairly close so has a dirt slope down from the freeway and then a 15' vertical cement retaining wall to hold back the freeway fill. A guy hauling a pretty good sized excavator was on the freeway, wandered to the shoulder, over corrected and hit the guardrail. As a result, the excavator fell off the trailer, slid down the slope and tumbled on top of the suburban crushing the woman. Have no idea how well it was tied down but however it was didn't hold up to the need. Maybe it was and it just couldn't hang on to the excavator, maybe it wasn't. Nasty scene and I cringe every time I drive by it, in our Suburban, thinking of the poor woman, sitting there, with probably no idea of what was about to happen to her. What's done is done but certainly a vivid reminder of what potentially can go wrong when dealing with larger and heavier equipment. Be careful out there as what happens can impact not only you but others that have nothing to do with what caused the situation yet still suffer the consequences.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #37  
Sitislicker, - Welcome to TBN. Best wishes, Larry

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient?
My first thought is that those chains you show are not rated for the tractor weight. That aside, I pull my tractor onto the trailer, run a chain thru a large 'o' ring I mounted to the front pushback. When chain is secured to trailer, I back the tractor up until chain is tight then I use a chain thru a ring in the rear hitch with a binder and snug that. It's fast and seems to work well.
based on what observation do you say this?

chains are 5/16, with 5/16 hardware. WLL of each is 4700#. Divide by half due to "attached from vehicle to load". So 2350# per chain There are 4 chains, giving an agregate WLL of 9400#. Tie-down loops (used in the back) are 6300# each (in the front i use the 3/16" steel fully-welded stake pockets; they do not have a WLL listed)

Tractor and all implements weigh well under 6000lb. Requirement is for securement to cover half of that, or 3000#.

So I believe I am 3x the legal WLL on my securement(?) I suppose I could go with 2 chains rather than four as allowed by law, but that seems like a Bad Idea. Also note i will be strapping the FEL.

/ nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? #39  
based on what observation do you say this?

chains are 5/16, with 5/16 hardware. WLL of each is 4700#. Divide by half due to "attached from vehicle to load". So 2350# per chain There are 4 chains, giving an agregate WLL of 9400#. Tie-down loops (used in the back) are 6300# each (in the front i use the 3/16" steel fully-welded stake pockets; they do not have a WLL listed)

Tractor and all implements weigh well under 6000lb. Requirement is for securement to cover half of that, or 3000#.

So I believe I am 3x the legal WLL on my securement(?) I suppose I could go with 2 chains rather than four as allowed by law, but that seems like a Bad Idea. Also note i will be strapping the FEL.

I‘m pretty sure he was joking.

Back on track, I’ve found axle straps are worth having. I’ve used them to go around tires, axles, and frame parts. Keep a few with your load securement equipment. They are inexpensive and often offer more options.

They may or may not be very helpful, in this situation. I’m more talking, in general.

Here is one of many options, on the market:

Buy what suits you. There are different colors and strength ratings. The ones I linked have protective sleeves, which are worth having. You can use your chains, with these, as long as the rings are flat enough to fit in the slip hook.

The other thing I really like, in general, are the axle straps with a ratchet strap on them. You wouldn’t use your chains and binders (which it seems you bought nice stuff), but it’s handy for automobiles and tractors. These types of straps aren’t very good with construction equipment, though.