Northern Tool Pto Gen

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #11  
What a is a good place for a pto shaft? I see price variations from $100 to $300. Any length reccommendations?

Before buying a PTO drive shaft, I strongly suggest you measure the actual distance between your tractor's PTO and the implement's input stub shaft...at minimum distance (raise the implement...the shortest distance should be when the implement's input shaft and the tractor's output shaft are level with one another. That way, you'll know the minimum length you require...

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #12  
Before buying a PTO drive shaft, I strongly suggest you measure the actual distance between your tractor's PTO and the implement's input stub shaft...at minimum distance (raise the implement...the shortest distance should be when the implement's input shaft and the tractor's output shaft are level with one another. That way, you'll know the minimum length you require...

your assuming the owner doesnt hard mount the genny to some location and simply back the tractor up to it. At which point you can position the tractor at any point to make use of an existing PTO shaft you have from say a brush hog.

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #13  
your assuming the owner doesnt hard mount the genny to some location and simply back the tractor up to it. At which point you can position the tractor at any point to make use of an existing PTO shaft you have from say a brush hog.

That's not necessarily true. Think about it.
Implements are quite different when it comes to gearbox position.
Now, it the implement (genny, in this case), is not to be rigged to the 3PH, I can see the use of another implement's PTO drive shaft.
However, I doubt this would be the case with most generator owners.

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #14  
What a is a good place for a pto shaft? I see price variations from $100 to $300. Any length reccommendations?

i got mine from tsc.. think I paid 100$.. length as needed to hookup to tractor. I have my ptogen mounted on a pallate, which is then mounted to a 3pt carryall.. i sized my pto shaft so that I can hookup the implement to the 3pt and attach pto shaft. that way you don't have to worry about permanently mounting that pto gen if you don't want to ( but you can't run it without it being mounted to SOMething.. with it on the 3pt carryall.. I can laod on a trailer and go to the farm.. or tie strap my welder to it and do mobile welding on the gates on the farm.. etc. drive up to house to power well.. etc... nice having a mobile power source..

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #15  

Now, it the implement (genny, in this case), is not to be rigged to the 3PH, I can see the use of another implement's PTO drive shaft.
...:confused2:

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #16  

the owner might fid it hard to strip the pto shaft off his mower to use on that northstar ptogenset.. as it has a splined imput shaft same as the tractor stub.. IE.. 1 3/8" 6 spline.

most mower gearboxes are round input shafts. even some of the add on torque limiters are round, just because they are anticipating being added to a mower with a round input shaft. a few machine with torque limiters haowever, I have seen with splined input shafts. those pto shafts might be swapable..

best for the owner to see what he has before he thinks about swapping or buying..

soundguy

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #17  

...:confused2:

the owner might fid it hard to strip the pto shaft off his mower to use on that northstar ptogenset.. as it has a splined imput shaft same as the tractor stub.. IE.. 1 3/8" 6 spline.

most mower gearboxes are round input shafts. even some of the add on torque limiters are round, just because they are anticipating being added to a mower with a round input shaft. a few machine with torque limiters haowever, I have seen with splined input shafts. those pto shafts might be swapable..

best for the owner to see what he has before he thinks about swapping or buying..

soundguy
Yes, implement end fit is the point as stated. Broadcast seeders, manure spreaders, chippers, etc come with splined ends fairly uniformly. I use my broadcast spreader shaft on a 3pt carrier for that gen. Its light duty ... had to put needle cups into the u-joints. I also start the gen gently both to spare its 1 to 7 gearbox and avoid possibly twisting the light duty shaft.
larry

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #18  
i just ponied up the extra 100$ back at the time i got the genny and bought a hd pto shaft.. no swapping needed.. i just leave it on. that way in a hurricane or other situation.. i don't have to worry about walking out to the edge of the fence to strip off a pto shaft and carry the 50# thing back up tot he barn to attach tot he genset.. :)

if someone had one ont he shelf they commonly swapped between implements already.. then that's different.. might save a dead president...

soundguy

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #19  

Others here know more, but sometimes on a PTO generator, a lighter shaft can be used than for say brush cutter duty. Some sellers informally rate them by task.

I bought mine here, but the site is clunky

Tillage, Tillage Tools, Cultivation, Cultivation Tools | Agri Supply

Click on PTO accessories, and then look at the narrow your search box, and you can find "PTO assemblies". As to length, that depends on your actual setup. I knew my setup first, measured for the shaft, but I believe I bought too long (had too) and then cut it down to size.

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #20  

soundguy

Excellent point...I remember when shopping, I had to turn down many potential sellers because they did not make clear what the OTHER end was shaped like. I needed something like what you bought, but most were shaped for different duty, and some they didn't say and didn't have a good enough picture for me to tell.