Northern Tool Pto Gen

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
Any experience with the !3KW Pto Gen. I think I can get one for a good deal? Is the power clean and is it built well? Thanks

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen
I just got some more info on the unit. It is 4 years old never used. No carrier or shaft. I can get it for$550. Is this a good deal?

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #3  
liberty2701 said:
I just got some more info on the unit. It is 4 years old never used. No carrier or shaft. I can get it for$550. Is this a good deal?

Looks like a new 13 KW surge NT brand generator is about $2400 with a two year warranty. So the question is more like is it worth the risk to you? Seems kinda cheap on one hand but maybe a decent deal on a 4 year old piece of equipment with no warranty if you trust the seller.
Sorry, not to be any more help. The devil is in the details. It could be fine or never work during the first power outage. If you get it then remember to pull the meter or install a disconnect to protect the linemen who are trying to get your power back on. Generators can kill.
Thanks
RJJR

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #4  
   / Northern Tool Pto Gen #5  
Initally i thought, what could be wrong with it?

then i thought, well if someone hooked it up to a tractor with a multi-speed PTO and used a 800 rpm setting they could have over speed it and fryed something...

Id take the tractor over to it and hook it up and see if it runs right. then id drop that $500 cash in his had...:thumbsup:

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #6  
Soundguy, our resident Ford expert from Florida, has an NT generator. Seems he's happy with it.
a PM to Soundguy might glean more information...

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #7  
Id take the tractor over to it and hook it up and see if it runs right. then id drop that $500 cash in his had...:thumbsup:

I second this. Let it run for a while(30min) and see if things get too hot or gear oil starts running out. I bought a 25KW PTO generator from a friends dad who had never run it. Everything worked great until I saw the gear oil. I shut it down and investigated....false alarm as it had just been overfilled.

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #8  

I have it's little brother, the 7500. I have never used it, since I have never lost power. I originally bought it AFTER a serious ice storm where I was without power for 10 days.

Now, I just rotate the shaft by hand sometimes to keep the bearings from going bad. I built a special pallet for it to bolt onto, and that pallet goes on my carryall. I bought the shaft from Agri-supply if I recall correctly.

As to post #2...I wouldn't be afraid of that used one if it looked brand new. With no shaft and no mount, I assume no use either. I'd check around on Craig's list, etc for units I could actually see run, and assign a value to a shaft and a mount...they aren't free. Could be a different unit would be better for you. If you paid $400 more for one with shaft, mounting, and proof it works, you would be better off. But my carry all is not tied to the thing. I still get to use the carryall for other things. The unit sits on its pallet, and the pallet is on a cheap dolly in the dry of my garage, so my mounting could be considered free but for the work of building the pallet.

I always looked for feedback on the Harbor Freight one that came (at that time) with the shaft, the 3pt mount, all for around $1000. But it is probably junk in some ways. But I rarely even need a generator. Sometimes I buy junk if the use is once or rare. But it would be a bugger to get out in the ice and snow to hook up a genny only to have it fail.

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen #9  
i have their 13kw model.. my stepfather has the 24kw model.

both work fine.. have powered many things during florida hurricanes.

power is as steady as the governor of the machine powering it.

as far as clean.. it's pure sine wave.. just like the power company makes.. same concept of power generation.. it's a brushless design too...

soundguy

/ Northern Tool Pto Gen
What a is a good place for a pto shaft? I see price variations from $100 to $300. Any length reccommendations?