Not Charging

/ Not Charging #61  
That larger output alternator (for A/C models) is a near-twin but its fatter. So you need a longer adjustment strap over to the block, and likely the next size belt. For me, I would get the non-A/C alternator and keep the project simple.

But your low charging issue may not be the alternator at all.

/ Not Charging
That larger output alternator (for A/C models) is a near-twin but its fatter. So you need a longer adjustment strap over to the block, and likely the next size belt. For me, I would get the non-A/C alternator and keep the project simple.

Glad you said that. That's all that's needed anyway. LED lights up front are a mod I want to make at some point. I do now into the night sometimes in summer. I put an LED rear work light on that's on when I think my low beams are on up front...I can't remember how I wired it now?

/ Not Charging

I see a 35 amp alternator for some of the 79 nissan vehicles. And then certain models I select there is a "non AC " 50 amp alternator and then an "AC" 60 amp model. Do know which of these share the same physical housing as our original. I want to order one and get the largest output in the same size housing.

/ Not Charging #64  
Do know which of these share the same physical housing as our original. I want to order one and get the largest output in the same size housing.
I don't know the answer. In 2004 when I needed an alternator I read here that early 70's Datsun alternator was more output in the same enclosure, I think 25 amp replacing Yanmar's 10 (?) amp original spec. I found online that the Datsun alternator I needed was used only through 1973, but the alternator that replaced it used the same regulator for a few more years.

And the advice here that only the non AC alternator was the same dimensions, with the AC version fatter, was confirmed in my research.

Wish I could tell you more but that's all I know. At any rate the alternator and potted regulator I installed in 2004 still work fine.

One more comment: when I bought the tractor late 2003 I noticed there was a new lower radiator hose that was already chafed by the fan belt. I put a radiator-hose clamp, smooth side up, on that lower hose where it was wearing, as a shield to protect the hose. No problems since. But a replacement fatter alternator mounted farther out might have this chafing problem and need a hose clamp shield too.

Last edited:
   / Not Charging
I don't know the answer. In 2004 when I needed an alternator I read here that early 70's Datsun alternator was more output in the same enclosure, I think 25 amp replacing Yanmar's 10 (?) amp original spec. I found online that the Datsun alternator I needed was used only through 1973, but the alternator that replaced it used the same regulator for a few more years.

And the advice here that only the non AC alternator was the same dimensions, with the AC version fatter, was confirmed in my research.

Wish I could tell you more but that's all I know. At any rate the alternator and potted regulator I installed in 2004 still work fine.

One more comment: when I bought the tractor late 2003 I noticed there was a new lower radiator hose that was already chafed by the fan belt. I put a radiator-hose clamp, smooth side up, on that lower hose where it was wearing, as a shield to protect the hose. No problems since. But a replacement fatter alternator mounted farther out might have this chafing problem and need a hose clamp shield too.
Ok I will check a 73 nissan and see what part numbers come up for that one. 35amp is more than enough for this tractor bit 8f I could get a 50 may as well right. That's will just be barely going to keep up.

/ Not Charging
I looked up a Nissan pickup from 73. It has a 1.6L further looking shows it's a 35amp alternator, main mount ear at 6 o'clock and rear plug is clocked at 9oclock looking from the rear. This one has a 2.7" diameter pulley.. The 79 has a 2.0L engine also a 35 amp and the rear plug is clocked at 12 o'clock, and mainount ear also at 6 o'clock. The pulley on this one is 3.1" in diameter. My tractor is at the 9 position so your correct about the 73 being the right one. The pulley I don't really care about either way, that's suck a small difference you can adjust that out and also if it was that big a deal I could just swap my original pulley onto it if I needed.

Thanks again California for your knowledge.

/ Not Charging #67  
With the Yanmar turning at lesser rpm's than the 1.6 L light pickup, I think you want the smallest pulley. Likely the pulley off your old alternator.

/ Not Charging
Ok we can bring this to a conclusion. New AC Delco reman arrived yesterday. Swapped it just now. Swapped pulleys from my original because it has a smaller diameter. The alternator was bad. From high idle all the way through working RPMs I now am showing 14.01 or so at the battery right after startup. Must have been like someone said a busted diode or something in the alternator. One oinnon the old one would show up to 20v or so but it must not have been turning it into voltage to send out of that alternator cause at the battery connection at the alt all I got was battery voltage and at the battery while running I never got more than battery voltage. I can bring this long drawn post to an end.

Anyone searching for parts see a few posts above where I listed the application. I got it shipped to my house for I think just over $40. I can't remember all the numbers right now. I think the alternator was $32 it so. There was a $6 core or something on it and an instant $7 rebate from AC Delco. And I paid10 to ship it and a set of spark plugs for my old truck to the house. I am pretty sure I have to cover return shipping for the core so it really doesn't make sense for the amount of this one to return it. But I will check for sure.

Thank you again to California for his excellent knowledge and documentation of the parts that swap.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_183739186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210501_183739186_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210501_190445321.jpg
    IMG_20210501_190445321.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
   / Not Charging #69  
most of the time the only thing wrong with the alternator is
the diodes/rectifiers and you can get them at an auto parts
store/shop easy to replace.

willy

/ Not Charging #70  
Thank rScotty! As I recall it was his advice that started me researching the Datsun (Nissan) application.

Last edited: