Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #81  
I bought this Miller 120/240v machine in 2014. This is the smoothest welding machine I have ever used. I use argon shielding gas for the best quality welds. The flux core wire does not make as nice of a weld as you get using argon for shielding. Will weld 3/8" steel.

Bart

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set 907614​

Code: 907614
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set 907614
Cyberweld Price $1,935.00
Mfg Industrial Price: $2,451.00
(You Save $516.00)
100 percent argon? Are you welding aluminum? I’ve seen 100 percent co2 on steel or a mix of co2 argon on steel but never 100 percent argon. The reason you don’t want to use hardwire mig on something much more then 5/16’s is it not penetrate down into the root of the joint. Something like spray will which uses hardwire, dual shield flux, or even flux core all of which will have a procedure for heavier materials.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #82  
I didn’t read the whole thread, but I did see many posts suggesting 200+ amp machines. I’d say get the Lincoln 140.
Like you, I have a big stick machine. I added the 110v Lincoln 140 and it handles 90% of my welding. Being 110v make it easy to use in various places. If I’m doing something that requires 200 amps I stick weld it.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #83  
Seems to me that if your going to play in the big boys league, your going to have to pay your dues or farm out the big stuff.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #84  
I agree with Ewcmr2, you already have a good stick welder for heavy stuff. A 140 amp 115v machine will cover most everything else, a small mig will be low cost, portable and will plug in most anywhere . If price is not a concern I recommend the miller 211.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #85  
I didn't read all 9 pages.
I vote for the ESAB multi function rig that includes MIG, TIG, stick.
Sell your stick welder to take care of that.
Take it or leave it.
Those are my two cents...

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #86  
So I might get something thrown at me for suggesting this, but have you checked out Yeswelder? It is a brand that was created to give new welders a simple and inexpensive start to welding. But at the same time giving them something that would work well. I got their multiprocess welder that runs on 240/120. At 205 amps, it has a 60% duty cycle. It can be a little tricky to figure out some of the settings, but there are youtube videos out there explaining details better than the manuals. It has been great for me. The price for what is you get is way lower than anything else I've seen. The one I got will take up to 10lb spools. yeswelder.com

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #87  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
I have had a Hobart Handler 190 mig machine for a few years now and really like it. I would also suggest you take a look at the Primeweld Mig 180. Join the Primeweld Equipment Users group on Facebook and see what others have to say about it. Primeweld can't be beat for the features, customer service, warranty, and performance for the money. I have the Primeweld Cut 60 plasma cutter on a CNC machine and it performs flawlessly.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #88  
So lots of good responses on here. And I would say they are valid. Here is my two cents: First, what are you using it for? You said "hobby". 1/2 inch stuff is a little above the hobby level equipment. And most of the machines you are mentioning are just that. Now Miller makes a 120V reel fed machine that is small and portable. Great machine. And it has a 100% duty cycle, meaning you can really do some serious welding with it. But, you are also going to spend about $1500 bucks. That is the other question; how much do you want to spend? You can also consider looking at used stuff. I bought both my welders used. Got great deals on both, and both were in like new condition. One is a Lincoln MIG, 110V and does a real good job on small stuff. Paid $75 which included helmet, gloves, and some tools. It was used one time by the original owner. The other is a big box stick welder using 220V. Got that one for $25 which included a box and a half of rods. That one easily handles 1/2 inch. Anyway, if you are set on buying new then I agree with a lot of the other comments here; stick with the known brands. If you feel you have to weld the thicker steel then you have to go with the bigger welder. Remember, you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to tools.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #89  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
I too was in this exact same situation a few years ago. My wife had bought me for xmas a Hobart 190. I believe it was only a 110 v weleder. I ended up exchanging it for the more versitile 210 unit. Being the homeowner and diy'r I just thought it would be a better unit for me. i had to use a generator anyway, we were totally off grid. My godson is a highly skilled professional welder/fabricater. He convinced me to go with the 210.. For the money I don't think you can go wrong with the Hobart. I purchased a thumb for a mini excavator, practiced and practiced and took the plunge to weld on the thumb. Is it perfect, of course not, does it function, sure does. I have picked up rocks that tip the machine, no problem with the weld, I love it! CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN is the key in my opinion, good luch

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #90  
I bought this Miller machine in 2014. This is the smoothest welding machine I have ever used. I use argon shielding gas for the best quality welds. The flux core wire does not make as nice of weld as you get using argon for shielding.

Bart

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set 907614​

Code: 907614
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set 907614
Cyberweld Price $1,935.00
Mfg Industrial Price: $2,451.00
(You Save $516.00)

416 Reviews