Oil filter wrench

/ Oil filter wrench #51  
I don't bother with any wrench on any oil filter that I need to remove to install a new one (exception is the cars, I use a strap wrench on them), I take a long screwdriver and a hammer and shove the screwdriver through the filter and lever it off with the impaled screwdriver.

You are tossing it anyway. jam it in and lever it off. easy-peasy.

Don't forget to check to see if the old filter gasket came off with the filter. Double gasketed filters always leak.
But if it doesn't come off after impaling then you are stranded.

/ Oil filter wrench #52  
My only oil filter wrench is a pair of channellocks. My right hand is the tightener. Haven't found a piece of equipment it hasn't worked on yet.
thats fine if you were the person to install it previously.. but you aint getting some filters off with a channelocks after the factory King Kong put em on dry and they get heat welded on there. LOL

/ Oil filter wrench #53  

Attachments

• E8CEC1DF-0CCE-4D2E-BB0E-845754F1D24E.jpeg
    E8CEC1DF-0CCE-4D2E-BB0E-845754F1D24E.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 60
   / Oil filter wrench #54  
I have quite a few oil filter wrenches but like using the ones shown in post 26. I did not have one for the filter on the Kawasaki Mule and tried channel locks. Started to crush the filter and backed off. Ordered the "socket" style for $10 from Amazon and had it in a couple of days. Had to beat it on a bit as I had damaged the filter with the channel locks but it worked.
So what if you were crushing an oil filter that you are going to throw away?

We commonly used to change oil filters with a Craftsman screwdriver. Pound it through the filter with the palm of your hand then lever the filter off. Use the center of the filter as a fulcrum.

/ Oil filter wrench #55  
What is really so sad is at one time WIX filters had a hex plate on bottom you could put a wrench on.... It went away with to concept of saving money, but it gave birth of to the "filter wrench market".....

BUT K&N seems to have the concept, and IF you can find K&N filter the fits your needs....
K&N got that from HiFlo Filtro who used to be K&N's OEM before they decided Chinese manufacturers would do it for less.

Then K&N had a major recall because the Chinese manufacturer's welds on the sheet metal "nut" were weak and tore the filter case if the nut was used to install the filter. Too often the filter waited to leak until after one was on the road.

/ Oil filter wrench #56  
So what if you were crushing an oil filter that you are going to throw away?

We commonly used to change oil filters with a Craftsman screwdriver. Pound it through the filter with the palm of your hand then lever the filter off. Use the center of the filter as a fulcrum.
I have done that. I have also had filters in such cramped places that the "universal Craftsman tool" would be a lot more difficult than using the proper wrench.

I remember one filter that gave me a bit of a pucker. This was when I was poor and used the Craftsman method to take it off. It was on really tight and would not come off. I had mangled up the filter very badly and it still held firm. Luckily if finally let lose. That was the last time I used that method.

I must be rich or stupid (or both?). I must have about $100 invested in various oil filter wrenches and some are over 50 years old.

/ Oil filter wrench #57  
I have done that. I have also had filters in such cramped places that the "universal Craftsman tool" would be a lot more difficult than using the proper wrench.

I remember one filter that gave me a bit of a pucker. This was when I was poor and used the Craftsman method to take it off. It was on really tight and would not come off. I had mangled up the filter very badly and it still held firm. Luckily if finally let lose. That was the last time I used that method.

I must be rich or stupid (or both?). I must have about $100 invested in various oil filter wrenches and some are over 50 years old.
I once peeled a filter off some gorilla had installed. Nothing would grip it. The screwdriver tore the can. Finally with pliers and visegrips disassembled the filter in place until only the baseplate was remaining. Visegrips managed to get a bite to bend the baseplate which freed it to unscrew.

/ Oil filter wrench #58  
I once peeled a filter off some gorilla had installed. Nothing would grip it. The screwdriver tore the can. Finally with pliers and visegrips disassembled the filter in place until only the baseplate was remaining. Visegrips managed to get a bite to bend the baseplate which freed it to unscrew.
I finally used an air chisel to unscrew the base plate, while doing the first oil change on a 1976 Nova. All other attempts failed.

/ Oil filter wrench #60  
I finally used an air chisel to unscrew the base plate, while doing the first oil change on a 1976 Nova. All other attempts failed.
Been there. Sucks when doing that when the filter base breaks and comes off leaving the thread boss itself still on block.