Oil filter wrench

/ Oil filter wrench #41  
Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

This is after the initial filter change.

I’ve always hand turned the filter until it’s snug, then mark the edge, and turn another 50% (1/2 turn).

When it’s time to replace the filter, it’s really easy to get off. I don’t need much of a turn with a strap wrench and the rest can be unscrewed with a hand.

I’ve never lost any oil. The filters are always snug and don’t move by hand - but once the strap wrench loosens it a tad it screws off easily.

Have I just been lucky or is my process ok?

MoKelly
Same here. Even though I do mark the filter, I just go by eye.

Never had any leaks or filter coming loose and I take them off by hand just as easy.

I don't think I even have a filter wrench around.

/ Oil filter wrench #42  
I agree that there is not one tool that will work in all cases. I have strap wrenches, chain wrenches, multiple sizes of end cap wrenches, fancy ratchet powered clamp on end wrenches. I have still had to resort to the screw driver driven through the filter approach at times. The one on my Triumph motorcycle is the worst. It is a half sized filter in a recessed hole to where only the end is exposed. What a pain. K&N started making a filter for that bike that has a large hex nut pattern stamped into the end of the filter so you can use a 15/16" box end wrench to remove.

Someone made the comment that people put them on too tight. So true. But it also seems they tighten themselves. I have had filters that I have put on myself just hand tight that require major torque to loosen. One trick I have learned is that sometimes they seem to be less tight if you let the engine cool completely,
i had to do just the opposite. my rtv had 400 hours on it when bought it and had never been serviced. i got all but 1 filter off, don't remember which one wouldn't come off..

i decided to run it up to temp and try again. it worked but the kubota filters in general have been the hardest for me to remove, tractor and rtv.

/ Oil filter wrench #43  
I tighten engine oil filter by hand as tight as I can. Had a filter come loose once following their directions. For the hydraulic filter, you have to use a wrench to snug it up.

Use the 2 finger wrench on every filter. Never had a problem.

/ Oil filter wrench #44  
I don’t know if this works on every filter, but on my car and pickup, as tight as I can get it with one hand, and usually can loosen it with two hands. Never a leak, so far, but only been doing this for 25 years or so.
On my MF 1754, I do give the hydraulic/HST filter a little more than that with a wrench, but less than 1/4 turn.

/ Oil filter wrench #45  
Filter story.
Certain models of Jeeps of a vintage has serious filter problems.
An engine option had the filter located just too close to suspension components.
The result was a dent in pressure relief valve area and when a cold day pressure would build to the point that the filter simply blew off the engine.
My BIL had that version and it took a bunch of sleuthing B4 they discovered the cause.
(It was a V8 installation)

/ Oil filter wrench #46  
I’ve always hand turned the filter until it’s snug, then mark the edge, and turn another 50% (1/2 turn).
I don't know how far I go once it is snug. I tighten then filter as tight as I can get it with one hand, still need a wrench to get them off. I've never had a problem with oil leaks.

/ Oil filter wrench #47  
Can any one tell me a trick to get the oil filter off my 1726E? It's tucked down among other stuff so it's very hard to get a wrench on (See attached photo) (and it seems to be on very tight). I've tried several wrenches but none are able to get a good enough grip on it and allow me to exert the force needed.
Yup, I recognize that problem. One of those three fingered types, shown in a picture below, will amaze you and solve your problem.

/ Oil filter wrench #48  
For the biggest hydraulic filter on my LS XR4155 I wound up buying this wrench at Fleet Farm and very thankful I bought it because it was pretty difficult to get loose, had to use a extendable ratchet to get it loose, I’m very confident that a screwdriver wouldn’t have worked. The wrench was about $14. Supposedly has lifetime warranty.
1626449988679.jpeg

1626449834505.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Oil filter wrench #49  
Hey big barn looks like you have a good selection of filter wrenches but I think you forgot one the (screwdriver) 😁

/ Oil filter wrench #50  
What is really so sad is at one time WIX filters had a hex plate on bottom you could put a wrench on.... It went away with to concept of saving money, but it gave birth of to the "filter wrench market".....

BUT K&N seems to have the concept, and IF you can find K&N filter the fits your needs....

Attachments

• K&N-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter__55405.1588355554.jpg
    K&N-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter__55405.1588355554.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 57