Old Welder

/ Old Welder #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
All the talk about new welders, well for me right now is wishful thinking. On the other hand my old welder seems to be doing fine, and does all I need.Small farm shop and neighbor work.:) It's a Sears Simpson, probably from the 40"s or 50's. I bought it in the early 80's. No dial, just plug in amp changes. I do have long cables, maybe 40' so I can reach way outside the shop. Just had to replace the cooling fan, only maintenance other than new stinger and ground clamps. Evidently these old AC units never wear out and just keep buzzing along, just like that bunny:laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 683
   / Old Welder #2  
Just like the bunny and copper top batteries. The copper windings in the old machines were everything but bullet proof. Not as fancy with all the rheostats and such, just taps coming off the transformer at different amps so not much to wear out. As long as they aren't overloaded and melt something down, they last forever.

/ Old Welder #3  
I have an equally vintage monster that came from a ship building yard , It was on an auction with the power cord cut off , i gave $25 for it worked like a beauty for the last 15 odd years, all here prefer it to the newer welders .

/ Old Welder #4  
My father had one of those, but it was the Montgomery Ward version. I ended up inheriting two of the 'new fangled' types with the rotary tap selectors. Would like to send one to my nieces' son but I think it would cost $500 in shipping..

/ Old Welder #5  
We've got one of those old buggers my dad and grandfather bought new back in the 50's...
I think that it is a Smith with plug ins for the different amperage...
Thing weighs a ton and is round like a trash can...
Must be over 70 years old and still works like a champ...
Just had to replace some of the leads awhile back...
I believe that they paid over $300 for it new in the early 50's...
That was a pile of cash back then...

/ Old Welder #6  
Cool stuff, I enjoy the pic's of the old welders. I used to have an old Forney that weighed in at 300#.