Older better than newer?

/ Older better than newer? #1  

Tchamp

Silver Member
Tractor
Power trac PT-2422
I currently own a 2001 2422 that has been upgraded to the 25 hp enging making it a 2425. I have also put a new aux-steering pump in as well as new tires. I have been mulling over the idea of getting a newer unit but i am not sure if it is something that will be a benefit for doing. It does need a few small repairs like the quick disconnect plate has lost one of the threaded bolts that hold the small hydraulic cylinder on. But not much other than needing a choke cable. Does have some play in the pivot point and play in the knuckles on the front of the boom, but not excessive. I was hoping for your opinions to help me decide on if its worth going to a newer unit or sticking with the old.
Oh, It also has the pins on the hubs for the parking brake but does not work either i just use one of the outriggers on the backhoe attachment to keep me still on slopes ;)

/ Older better than newer? #2  
Hard to say, what is your age and how often do you use it? A new one will be more reliable. Do you use the backhoe a lot? A 400/1400 series is easier to get on and off, has a larger capacity hydraulic cooler for heavy use and you can use the front hoe for minor trench/digging work.

/ Older better than newer?
Hard to say, what is your age and how often do you use it? A new one will be more reliable. Do you use the backhoe a lot? A 400/1400 series is easier to get on and off, has a larger capacity hydraulic cooler for heavy use and you can use the front hoe for minor trench/digging work.

I leave the backhoe on the unit most of the time for the counterweight it makes the lifting better. Im not sure what you are referancing the 400/ 1400 is. I am guessing the 1400 seriestractors. I have a complete setup for the 24 series, grappler bucket. Smooth bucket, tiller, stump grinder, auger with several augers, power rake, ditch witch, directional line boring setup, forks, and trailer package to haul it all. So i am kinda stuck in the. 24 series

Last edited:
   / Older better than newer? #4  
I leave the backhoe on the unit most of the time for the counterweight it makes the lifting better. Im not sure what you are referancing the 400/ 1400 is. I am guessing the 1400 seriestractors. I have a complete setup for the 24 series, grappler bucket. Smooth bucket, tiller, stump grinder, auger with several augers, power rake, ditch witch, directional line boring setup, forks, and trailer package to haul it all. So i am kinda stuck in the. 24 series
The 2 prefix means backhoe, so a 2422 shares implements with the 422, and therefore the 425. As the lift increases, the thickness (and size?) of the QA plate changes. Check with Terry about what could use your implements, but I think that is how it goes.

If you like what you have, I am not sure that I understand why you would want to change. Yes, at some point something catastrophic may happen, at which point you need to replace a few things, but that's likely to be a lot less than a new tractor.

All the best,

Peter

/ Older better than newer? #5  
I currently own a 2001 2422 that has been upgraded to the 25 hp enging making it a 2425. I have also put a new aux-steering pump in as well as new tires. I have been mulling over the idea of getting a newer unit but i am not sure if it is something that will be a benefit for doing. It does need a few small repairs like the quick disconnect plate has lost one of the threaded bolts that hold the small hydraulic cylinder on. But not much other than needing a choke cable. Does have some play in the pivot point and play in the knuckles on the front of the boom, but not excessive. I was hoping for your opinions to help me decide on if its worth going to a newer unit or sticking with the old.
Oh, It also has the pins on the hubs for the parking brake but does not work either i just use one of the outriggers on the backhoe attachment to keep me still on slopes ;)
Are you having enough problems with it that $19,800 plus tax and shipping will resolve and make you happy?

(not real helpful, but that's the way I look at things).

/ Older better than newer? #6  
The way I look at it, it's not like a car that's going to rust out and the electronic brain will fry. It's plate steel, if it rusts a bit, just grind it off and repaint. If something breaks hard, clean it up and weld in some new steel. Re-engine if it dies. Replace hose if breaks. Replace hoses if show signs of wear. All that stuff you already know since you've had it so long.

Set aside $1000 per year in a repair fund. In 5 years you have $5K for any catastrophic failures that might come up. That's still 1/4 price of a new one.

However, if you're financial capable and just want a new machine, that's your decision. I splurge and buy myself new things once in a while if I feel like it, but not very often, because the old one still functions well enough to keep my happy.

Just some things to think about. ;)

/ Older better than newer? #7  
Also, Pt is a very fair priced shop. I've taken two machines to them and was very pleased with the rate and turnaround time. Worth considering the to overhaul.

They'll sell you that qa plate or any parts you need...

/ Older better than newer? #8  
X2 on how reasonable Power-Trac is. I recently built a skid steer adapter for my PT, and when pricing costs, the PT price for the 1445 QA plate wasn't much more than the steel cost at my local scrapyard.

All the best,

Peter

/ Older better than newer?
Also, Pt is a very fair priced shop. I've taken two machines to them and was very pleased with the rate and turnaround time. Worth considering the to overhaul.

They'll sell you that qa plate or any parts you need...

What did it cost to have yours gone through? Did they do a complete refurb?

/ Older better than newer? #10  
I own a 2001 PT2422 that has been converted to a 2425 and a newer 2015 PT2425.

Both machines were bought used. The 2001 was pretty beat when I got it. The 2015 is basically new.

A word of warning. Your backhoe will not fit the newer machines. The bottom side of the attachment plate is the same, but the top lip is a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of bar stock. Power Trac said there are 3 different configurations for the backhoe attachment.

The newer machine has the following improvements:
Battery housing above the hydraulic tank instead of under the rear pump/engine.
The muffler has been reconfigured to exhaust under the right side step. It is louder, but the exhaust is not wafting up to you when operating the backhoe.
The tram pedal is a valve instead of the cable operated version. I prefer the valve as it seems to be more trouble free.
There is additional bracing on the wheel fenders. When I got the older machine, most of the fenders were bent in to where they were rubbing the tires.
The older machine rides smoother, but I think this is mostly due to worn center sections bushings and bar vs turf tires.
The guys at Power Trac speak highly of the hydraulic pumps in the older machine. They are getting weak in my machine, but this is after a couple thousand hours of being used and abused hard. Time will tell if the pumps in the newer machine hold up as well.
Engine replacement in the newer machine is much easier because there are not pumps on both sides of the engine.

Hope this helps