Oliver 77 Industrial

/ Oliver 77 Industrial #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Bought an Oliver 77 Industrial tractor. Seems to be the rarest machine on earth, I can't find anyone else with one. The closest is Steve W. here with his 770 industrial.

Original motor was replaced with a super 88 gas motor quite some time ago. Auto-choke and auto-throttle, fires up right away with no smoke almost immediately.

Brought home Monday, was 75F and beautiful April day. Immediately followed by 3 days of rain with a high of 42. It's in the garage though, so at least it's a dry place to work.

Thus far I've hit every grease fitting I could find with grease(around 30), and replaced 2 that wouldn't take any. Oil and coolant look brand new from the previous owner, oil is still semi-transparent like when you pour new oil, the coolant is still green. The hydraulic fluid looks like coffee with cream, and lots of it.

Tomorrow it'll be 75F again, but spotty showers. I'll try to get a good walk around video of it, but for now, some pictures.

Had to load backwards, the backhoe frame bottomed out going on forward. In hindsight, this was a great idea since the machine has no brakes. Coming off forward without brakes was enough of a rush, I'd rather not do it backwards.

JZDTlRd.png

I thought the trailer was oversized, but it definitely was not.

CrBSGVx.png

LCf8GA4.png

Unloading was exciting without brakes, bounced right down the road.

iRNurfg.png

Managed to get most of it in the garage so I have power and dry space to work.

wyJyoTc.png

/ Oliver 77 Industrial
Video of my first attempt at running the backhoe, and first time running a backhoe in general:

/ Oliver 77 Industrial #3  
Nice find. I esp. like the size of the front wheels, and the grill guard.

That hyd. fluid has a ton of water in it..... It's one thing many people don't change. That, and antifreeze.... green is usually only good for about 2 years.

For a first timer, you looked pretty smooth with the hoe !

One symptom you can get with a lot of water in hydraulic fluid is erratic movements, esp. under heavy load (like a full FEL). Change the fluid b4 you start suspecting/changing valves.....

That's a solid looking machine.

Rgds, D.

/ Oliver 77 Industrial #4  
Nice tractor- when you are tired of it- drop it off!:D:laughing:

/ Oliver 77 Industrial
The movement is quite eratic, I'm going to pick up about 20gal of cheap fluid and run it, change it, repeat.

/ Oliver 77 Industrial
Think I figured out the issue with the bucket, the valve linkage is messed up so I'm only pushing it half way, so the other half is blocked. Would explain slow movement and engine laboring. Can't wait to try tomorrow!

/ Oliver 77 Industrial #7  
   / Oliver 77 Industrial
Second dig went better. Learning how to use it better. Got 10 stumps and a few shrubs up. It's hard work though.

/ Oliver 77 Industrial
Finally got around to making a walk-around video while I was draining the hydraulic fluid. That fluid was horrific, too.

/ Oliver 77 Industrial
Testing the hydraulics after dumping and filling with 10 gallons of fresh fluid.

Last edited: