One step closer to zero emission power equipment

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #121  
Many decades ago when I was snowmobiling in the Idaho high country,
I can remember swapping jets once we got up to the high altitude play grounds for the best performance out of the sleds.
They did loss some power but it wasn't 40%. Now we didn't go to 10,000 ft either more like 6-8000 ft.
It sure didn't take long to swap jets back in those days.
I suppose these newer Fuel Injected sleds don't need to do that and the turbo'd ones especially.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #122  
Loss of ICE power(even with a turbo) at altitude is one of the reasons an electric vehicle holds the pikes peak hill climb record.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #124  
I guess I am relying upon those physics class I took in college. It's all in my head...
Hey I am no engine expert, just like you I only have my observations/experience or rely on those that hopefully know more about it than I do. Just trying to understand. Thanks for the input the interaction is appreciated.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #126  
Reduce the fuel to match the air density and you get less power! No if and or buts. That’s Physics!

If you lean out an engine, the fuel air ratio goes up, If you richen an engine, the air fuel ratio goes down...all while the air remains a constant.

You can compensate for less air by changing the fuel. It's a ratio and one side of the equation is independent upon the other side. You can compensate for less 02 by leaning out the engine, but the ratio is still equal.

It's physics...

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #127  
I have my Echo 590 for heavier work and a 490 for brush and small trees. Also their biggest brush saw, for brushing property lines and thinning the young stands on my property. If I ever get back to cutting more than firewood I will probably pick up another 545 Husky, or maybe even a 550 XP.

Yet my next saw will be electric, to carry in the truck for occasionally moving a tree out of the road or for cutting a little brush back.
I can carry it in the cab and not worry about gas fumes. In the time it takes to get my gas saws warmed up, the electric saw will have it cut up and I can be on the road.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #128  
Imagine processing 6 cords of wood to heat your home with a battery operated saw.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #129  
Imagine processing 6 cords of wood to heat your home with a battery operated saw.

Not a problem because they already banned wood heat lol.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #130  
Given the performance of my Echo 58v, that would not be a problem. The chargers are fast and swapping batteries is faster than filling a gas tank. There are absolutely some tasks that are better with a bigger saw. Breaking down timber into logs? Just keep the chain lubed and sharp. Felling trees that are more than 20" across...maybe wait until they make one with a longer bar.