Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant!

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #31  
My pet peeve on Craigs list adds are those shade tree dealers purporting to be an owner seller and then find they are selling new stuff or are a second hand dealer working out of their house. When you get there it then all becomes obvious and they will not dicker on their posted price which is not commensurate with the product. Once had a guy selling HF new stuff at 20% under HF's phoney retail price they discount from. When I called him on it he turned his back and walked away.

Ron

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #32  
Any type of selling, Craigslist or other, is always a bit stressful. Sometimes the price is so "reasonable" that no further haggling is necessary. Several years ago (before the days of Craigslist) I sold a one year old snowmobile that was in perfect condition with just over 400 miles. I listed it in the local newspaper with an accurate description of the sled and a price that was about $400 under book value.

A potential buyer called within about 2 hours of the posting in the newspaper stating he was very interested but would not be able to come out until the next day. He asked if I would hold it for him as he was working late. I told him I would but that I was firm on the price and that if he decided to purchase the sled I would need cash. He thanked me for agreeing to hold the sled and that cash payment would be fine.

He arrived the next day with a pickup and trailer and generally seemed like a pleasant man. His wife was with him and both test drove the sled extensively around my property. At the end of the test drive he said he would take the sled but for about $500 less than my price. I reminded him of the day's previous conversation about the price and that the sled had only been listed for a day and I was unwilling to move on the price given the condition.

The man became belligerent and insulting because I wouldn't accept his offer. He said he had never dealt with some one unwilling to "haggle" over the price. I told him that perhaps I should have started at the book price and then "haggled" to get to my asking price but that it seemed foolish to do that and why not just get to the selling price quickly. He huddled with the wife and came back with some cash but still wasn't prepared to meet my price.

I finally had to tell him that the process was becoming too painful for both him and me and that he might want to look for another sled. He said that his wife loved the sled and wanted it. I again stated my price. He reached back into his pocket and found the remaining money. But, his hostility intensified. He started the sled and started to drive it up his tilt snowmobile trailer only to overshoot front of the trailer and drive the skis into the end gate of his pickup. He began to call me every name he could think of, none too complimentary, as he pulled the sled back and tied it down on the trailer. His wife was shaking her head the entire time.

So, I learned a valuable lesson that day. As ridiculous as it may seem, one must always build in some wiggle room when selling. I would prefer to get to a price quickly and either it is a price I am willing to pay or it is not. But I now realize that I am alone with this concept.

I remember in the old days of buying a car or truck when you would spend the entire day at the dealership (in his little cubicle) as the salesman went back and forth with the sales manager "haggling" over the price. It was a torturous ****. The entire goal of the sales people was to make it as uncomfortable as possible so that we agree to their price just to get out of the place. I actually like to the process today much better where the dealerships list their selling price up front. There can still be a little "haggling" if a trade-in is involved but nothing like the old days.

But, since I am the only one who doesn't enjoy "haggling" I will continue the practice of building in some fake money into my asking price so that the buyer feels he got me. If that's what it takes to sell the item then so be it. The buyer gets the joy of "beating up the seller" and the seller moves the item. It's a win-win scenario.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #33  
He arrived the next day with a pickup and trailer and generally seemed like a pleasant man. His wife was with him and both test drove the sled extensively around my property. At the end of the test drive he said he would take the sled but for about $500 less than my price. I reminded him of the day's previous conversation about the price and that the sled had only been listed for a day and I was unwilling to move on the price given the condition.

I remember in the old days of buying a car or truck when you would spend the entire day at the dealership (in his little cubicle) as the salesman went back and forth with the sales manager "haggling" over the price. It was a torturous ****. The entire goal of the sales people was to make it as uncomfortable as possible so that we agree to their price just to get out of the place. I actually like to the process today much better where the dealerships list their selling price up front. There can still be a little "haggling" if a trade-in is involved but nothing like the old days.

I had a younger guy drive 700+ miles from Ohio to buy my dump truck and he pulled the same stunt but didn't get mad. I was asking $6K and the truck was worth that if not more. The charging system quit working about the time I listed it. Six months earlier I put 300+$ of new batteries in it and wondered if the system had been dropping out hence the batteries failing. I had a bunch of tire kickers but in the almost month I had it listed, no one drove over to look at except him and his buddy. It was over 100 miles away and I didn't want to move it back to my house. So he haggles over the phone and I said I would take $5500 since I can't figure out why the charging system quit. I had the alternator tested and it was fine so I suspected a sensing wire was damaged.
I agree to hold the truck until the weekend until he can drive over and arrange someone to haul it if he buys it. They look over the truck for over and hour in the rain. He wants to deal and offers me less money. I said we had a deal on the phone and I explained the charging system was not working. More hemming and hawing and another 40 minutes as they look the truck over more. Finally he offered me 5400$ and I was so glad to see that albatross go down the road I agreed. I bought it a couple years earlier but the longer I owned it I kept getting this sinking feeling it was going to become a maintenance money pit. I also discovered it wasn't worth the headache to haul my own rock for projects around my property.

As far as dealerships and buying cars...next time throw your offer out there, give them a few minutes to play the game. If they take forever leaving you in the cubicle then tell them on the counter offer that if the salesman isn't back in 5 minutes you walk as your time is important. By all means WALK if they don't follow your rules....and they will. If they don't? You don't want to deal with that lot anyway. I learned this online from a car buying site and it works like magic. I even get up and walk around to make them nervous that I'm going to walk anyway.

Last edited:
   / Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #34  
Many times when the salesman goes to check to see if the boss will okay the deal-he is hanging out in the break room drinking a pop or getting a candy bar. The only part that got me is the guy pulling these stunts always cashed a great check at the end of the month.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #35  
Implement in the weeds so you can't see it.

Implement in photo covered with other junk.

Fir trees in one background, palm trees in another, tire tread different. (Photos taken from internet)

No photo at all.

Years worth of dirt and @$#^&%*& on it from barn storage.

Several very closeup photos, no over-all photo.

No size given, especially common on rear blades.

Ran when parked, 17 years ago.

Tires hold air.

Call for price.

Several visible bends, but described as "heavy duty."

"I think I have the missing part somewhere."
I agree, looks like you and I are pretty much reading the same ads.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #36  
I'll admit it...
I am a Craigslist junkie...
Never got burned...
Always had good experiences...
Bought quite a bit of good used equipment...
Drove over 150 miles one way to purchase a guitar...
Worth every mile...
I've been fortunate that the sellers I dealt with were ready to deal and was fair on the price...
Most times I've agreed on price before leaving to go see the product and had cash in hand...
Always took someone with me for security since the items were cash on hand...
I have not sold anything yet...
Don't know if I will try to or not...
Too many tire kickers...
I'm not a tire kicker...
When I am ready to buy game on...

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #37  
I'll admit it...
I am a Craigslist junkie...
Never got burned...
Always had good experiences...
Bought quite a bit of good used equipment...
Drove over 150 miles one way to purchase a guitar...
Worth every mile...
I've been fortunate that the sellers I dealt with were ready to deal and was fair on the price...
Most times I've agreed on price before leaving to go see the product and had cash in hand...
Always took someone with me for security since the items were cash on hand...
I have not sold anything yet...
Don't know if I will try to or not...
Too many tire kickers...
I'm not a tire kicker...
When I am ready to buy game on...

About describes me.
From buying my "Kabota LA352 Tractor and trailer" in my sig in 2009 to last weeks buy of some near new fuel transfer tanks for 25% of new SALE price I've found some gems. But it's like finding 4 leaf clovers, a LOT of looking, little picking. I've had much better success with auctions from local government with much less hassle.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #38  
I sell alot on CL .. I'm very detailed in my listing. What gets me is ... "where are you located" ... I've got the zip in ... the town listed.

That's my pet peeve too. Asking questions that are explicitly in the listing. They can't write nor READ. :D

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #39  
Wow, lots of good comments that I have also seen or been part of. You learn quick that every interaction on CL is different. Sometimes I haggle, sometimes if its a good deal and newly listed, I wont.

Sometimes I haggle over the phone, if it happens to be something that dont need a good once over in person. Something like a power tool, or I-beam. Especially if its farther away. Get the negotiating done on the phone, and if a deal is made, show up, pay, load, leave.

But one equipment, weather buying or selling, I wont negotiate on the phone.

When it comes to tractor implements. If you take the lightest duty Cat I stuff made, 99% of the time it will be listed as Heavy duty. I am sorry, but that 250# 6' rear blade from TSC is not heavy duty.

I also always list my town or county for location. Amazes me the people I get that call from 1-2hrs away and ask "Where is that? I have never heard of there before". Well.....you obviously have the internet if you saw my ad, so freakin google it.

Alot of people out there not too bright. Do your own research and never take the sellers words for any details or specs about what they are selling.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #40  
My point of my earlier post is that the buyer thinks they "won" the "haggle" when in fact the seller has an inflated price built in so it can be dropped to allow the buyer to think he won. Its kind of like when a car dealership advertizes $2,000 for any vehicle that can driven in, towed in, toward a brand new car. Does anyone think we are actually getting $2,000 for the piece of junk?

I just would rather the "haggle" concept be replaced with a honest-up front method of selling. I just don't like spending an extra hour haggling to get the price reduced when the seller had inflated the price all along knowing I was going to offer him less.