Oops - Counterweight

/ Oops - Counterweight #11  
BigEddy, when I built my counterweight using a 55 gal (?) barrel cut down filled with concrete and lead I attached it to my 3 pt hitch. But I use chains attached to the lower arms and then to the top link pin so that the 3 pt hitch does NOT carry the weight but only the chains. I lift the barrel with the 3 pt hitch then lower it slowly until the chains take up all the weight. Did not want to exert too much pressure on the 3 pt. hitch.

/ Oops - Counterweight #12  
That's a good idea. I do that with my bushog with check chains but never thought about doing it when just having a counterweight on.

/ Oops - Counterweight #13  
Oh, come on, let us see it!! Nothing to be embarassed about, we've all had our share of screw ups. The only way to fail is to not even try.

I'd really like to see it because I'm just starting to design one for my JD 4310, which calls for 1300lbs (!) of counterweight. I guess my 500lb box blade won't cut it.

It sounds like your relief valve setting may be low. I would think the weight rating for your 3pt hitch would be a little bit conservative since it also has to take tractor stability into account. Good luck getting it out of your driveway.

/ Oops - Counterweight
Okay - Here it is. Sorry about hte delay. SNOW!

Attachments

• 246946-counterweight.jpg
    246946-counterweight.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 849
   / Oops - Counterweight #15  
If you still can't pick it up, maybe you could put wheels on it.

/ Oops - Counterweight #16  
Yep, I would say that is a little too much counterweight.

/ Oops - Counterweight #17  
Hmmm,
It would make a nice headstone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oops - Counterweight #18  
My wife says most of my projects start out at least twice as large as they need to be, so I resemble BigEddie's situation also, I guess. And I would also pour it right in the middle of my driveway, too.

Eddie, I hope you've at least moved it out of the driveway by now!

/ Oops - Counterweight #19  
You could rent a 3" core drill and pump it full of holes to bring down the weight and plus it would look cool. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Oops - Counterweight #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You could rent a 3" core drill and pump it full of holes to bring down the weight and plus it would look cool )</font>

Less drag from wind resistance too! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif