Chipper Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time?

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #31  
I had a Mighty Mac with an 18 HP engine. It would chip and mulch quite nicely. I think 3.5 inch was harder on me having to feed the machine than it was on the machine. Problem was I had too much brush to deal with. Decided it was simpler to dump it in piles on my 30 acre property and let nature chew it up. I liked the chips the Mighty Mac produced but there was not near enough for the use I have for the stuff. I now provide a tree company a spot to dump their wood chips and they keep me well supplied.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #32  
I have owned the six HP MTD chipper from the big box store for over ten years. There is no comparison between that and the Wallenstein BX42 that they brought to my house.
I have TRIED to bog it down and it just won't quit.
My tractor engine RPM is 1700 when PTO is 540
The best I can do is present a limb that will physically fit in the chute and it will eat it up.
The Secret? The gap on the knives. Adjust the stationary knife to match what the owners manual recommends.
The reason my MTD 6 HP was retired is
A: I got a Wallenstein BX42
B: the bed tongue in the chute of MTD was wearing away and causing it to take too large of a bite of the wood being chipped. Slowing the engine.
C: my wallenstein is powered by a 35HP diesel tractor!

It was a big purchase for me, but it saves time and money in the long run.

The lower edge of the input chute is about at my KNEE! Find a North American made machine that is even close and you will be in commercial territory.
Please consider the input angle and just how high you have to lift that brush before it is chipped. That sold me the Wallenstein brand.

Happy tractoring

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #33  
You're one of the very few I've heard complain about the BX42. With 24 PTO HP, you should have quite adequate power. I think you'll find your chipper blades need sharpening...

Well, here's another complaint. I have an earlier Wallenstein (BX40 with 3 blades) that I bought lightly used. The first time I put a 3" branch in it it sheared the shear bolt. I called tech support and was told to try a harder bolt. That helped some, but they still sheared easily. After going through a handful of bolts I decided to take it apart and see what was wrong.

A dial indicator placed on the flywheel showed that the thing was tilted on the shaft for a total reading range from 0 to .125". Given that the blades were all set at the same gap from the fixed blade, that meant that one blade was trying to slice off a lot thicker slice than the other two. I spoke with the tech again and he said that .125" was within spec. I frankly couldn't believe that, but he was insistent. The only solution I could come up with was reducing the blade protrusion so that the high one was within spec. This of course means that the other two are loafing and chipping is that much slower. And yes, I indexed to a fresh cutting edge on all of the blades while I had it apart.

It still shears a bolt once in a while, but it's a lot better than before. And a bit slower of course.

It seams that people on this forum have high praise for Wallenstein, but so far I'm not impressed. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #34  
Well, here's another complaint. I have an earlier Wallenstein (BX40 with 3 blades) that I bought lightly used. The first time I put a 3" branch in it it sheared the shear bolt. I called tech support and was told to try a harder bolt. That helped some, but they still sheared easily. After going through a handful of bolts I decided to take it apart and see what was wrong.

A dial indicator placed on the flywheel showed that the thing was tilted on the shaft for a total reading range from 0 to .125". Given that the blades were all set at the same gap from the fixed blade, that meant that one blade was trying to slice off a lot thicker slice than the other two. I spoke with the tech again and he said that .125" was within spec. I frankly couldn't believe that, but he was insistent. The only solution I could come up with was reducing the blade protrusion so that the high one was within spec. This of course means that the other two are loafing and chipping is that much slower. And yes, I indexed to a fresh cutting edge on all of the blades while I had it apart.

It still shears a bolt once in a while, but it's a lot better than before. And a bit slower of course.

It seams that people on this forum have high praise for Wallenstein, but so far I'm not impressed. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

That may be one of the reasons for the redesign. I've never sheered my bolt, even when i've managed to stall the tractor (rare, but with multiple very hard max size peices i can). I beleive the redesign also included a slightly heavier cutting wheel and a "twig breaker" to help prevent clogs. You might find you can sell what you have and get a used newer generation one for about the same money - the value doesn't seem to decline much.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #35  
I would worry that if I got a newer BX42, it would have a tilted flywheel too and I'd have the same problem. Of course it could be straight, but it sounds like a crap shoot.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #36  
I would worry that if I got a newer BX42, it would have a tilted flywheel too and I'd have the same problem. Of course it could be straight, but it sounds like a crap shoot.

You could find one and measure. How are determining tilt? I can look at mine and let you know if its tilted.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #37  
Didn't read all the responses and I see it looks like you're taking a pass on the used chipper, but I wanted to say that even the smallest tractor PTO type chipper is no comparison to the standalone models with 9, 11 or even 13hp engines. I don't know if you posted the make of the used unit, but if you had that info, I'm sure someone here could give you a review good or bad.

Anyway, my first chippper was a used DR PTO Chipper. My BIL borrowed it after trying to use a borrowed standalone model to chip up some branches. He gave up trying to use the standalone unit - he didn't say the make or hp. Well, after borrowing my DR unit, he just raved about how well it worked behind his BX25. So much so, he bought it off me and now I have a Wallenstein BX42. The bigger stuff actually chips better since it will self feed better. The small wispy stuff has to be pushed some to get it down the chute. If you're doing a lot of stuff under 1" or leaves, etc., then look for one with a shredder too. Shredders are better for the small stuff. Good luck deciding.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #38  
I measured the tilt with a 1" travel dial indicator that reads in thousandths of an inch. You have to take the measurements in the area just before the blade since that is what determines the thickness of the cut.

I appreciate your offer to check your BX42 for tilt, but it really doesn't guarantee that another BX42 will be the same. The tech clearly said that 1/8" difference was within spec. That tells me that they ship them like that and some unsuspecting buyer could end up with the same problem that I have.

You could find one and measure. How are determining tilt? I can look at mine and let you know if its tilted.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #39  
If you are looking for a good chipper well made and very robust look at the Salsco line of chippers. I did a lot of comparison analysis and have been very happy since late 2007 when I got mine.

/ Opinions on small PTO chippers? Good or waste of time? #40  
I measured the tilt with a 1" travel dial indicator that reads in thousandths of an inch. You have to take the measurements in the area just before the blade since that is what determines the thickness of the cut.

I appreciate your offer to check your BX42 for tilt, but it really doesn't guarantee that another BX42 will be the same. The tech clearly said that 1/8" difference was within spec. That tells me that they ship them like that and some unsuspecting buyer could end up with the same problem that I have.

Could you shim the blades with some foil tape to shrink that 1/8 inch wobble?