Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #11  
Have to echo Eddie, nice to see everything. I might have run the wall sheathing horizontally, staggered, but y'all get bonus points for extending sheets down past the wall to nail into the floor framing. That has a lot of benefits but not everybody does it that way.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #12  
Question- on that insulated crawl space I have been under the assumption that the poly should be attached with caulk/liquid nails to the concrete foundation and the the insulating board over the poly?

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #13  
Question- on that insulated crawl space I have been under the assumption that the poly should be attached with caulk/liquid nails to the concrete foundation and the the insulating board over the poly?

Around here they put the foam sheets on the walls first, then optionally backfill inside the walls as needed, then the last step -- towards the end of construction when all the plumbing/HVAC/electrical subs are finished working in the crawl -- is to put down reinforced poly sheeting and use spray foam to seal up the edges where it meets the foam wall sheets. At the same time they spray all the seams in the foam wall sheets to seal those up too, and also spray the outer faces of the floor sill framing (where open between floor joists) to insulate that too. Ends up sealing the crawl very nice and tight.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #14  
Have to echo Eddie, nice to see everything. I might have run the wall sheathing horizontally, staggered, but y'all get bonus points for extending sheets down past the wall to nail into the floor framing. That has a lot of benefits but not everybody does it that way.
I think it's more important to get the second row of OSB tying the first floor studs tofogether with the second floor studs. Thats going to add a lot of strength to the structure. Hopefully they continue installing the OSB just like they did for the first row.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build
The only 2nd floor walls are on the gable ends, and the osb will span the floor framing and tie the 1st and 2nd floor studs together. Thanks for taking the time to check and to offer the tips.

This week they got the beam built and installed for the west crows beak. It is 3 2x12s with a 3"x1/4" strap around the outer end. It is set into 2 trusses and fastened to a third. At outer truss it has a 2x post going down to the door header - 3 2x10s - for additional support. It will get a pulley - mostly for looks but also to lift things onto the 2nd floor.

Beam set in trusses - note the strap set into end of beam.
Beam set in trusses.jpg

Notch in outer truss for beam.
Beam Truss mod.jpg

Beam from ground with pulley.
Beam with strap.jpg

Beam from ground - needs crows beak framing and sheathing.
Beam from ground.jpg

A crows beak example
Crows beak.jpg

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #16  
Nice..darn nice :thumbsup:

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #17  
I'd be concerned about cutting trusses to install the dormers.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #18  
I think it's more important to get the second row of OSB tying the first floor studs tofogether with the second floor studs. Thats going to add a lot of strength to the structure. Hopefully they continue installing the OSB just like they did for the first row.

No reason you can't do both (I would). I like to see the sheathing cross over as many different sections as possible. None of this is required by code, mind you, but I think it makes a lot of sense to tie things together.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #19  
It is outstanding what you have already accomplished and in a very reasonable time. Thanks for keeping us informed along the way and please keep the updates coming.

In my younger days I have done a lot of construction projects including a smaller more simple house so I can really appreciate the amount of effort required, but I have never tried something that ambitious.

Good help is always hard to come by but it seems you have found some great ones.

So, any projections as to a move-in date?

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #20  
Nice project and build for sure but;my daughter and SIL built a similar style building,living quarters over a garage.Not too bad when you are in your 30's but as they are finding out;climbing stairs multiple times a day is not fun as you age.
They ended up building a stand alone garage and are finishing the lower section of the original building as living quarters.