Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #31  
Nice to see dreams happen:thumbsup:
Thanks for posting them.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #32  
One of my many trips down I81 to I40, I'll go up to Norris Lake. Been wanting to see it.

You've done good to get where you're at. I started framing end of Jan, got paper on roof end of Apr, shingles by end of may. Wood was fine.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #33  
Hey old guy I’m from Muskegon also, born and raised there!!!

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build
Wow. Almost a year since my last post. A lot has happened, although not nearly enough. I planned 2 big work trips for 2018, and my wife turned both of them into family gatherings. Wonderful to get family together, and they love the place, but difficult to get much done when being host rather than builder. Since April of 2018 we have: added 64 tons of stone to the road, put a concrete floor in the 32'x30' garage area, wrapped and installed windows in the south shed, installed remaining dormer windows, built and installed garage doors, constructed interior stairs to 2nd floor, and filled the building with most of our 'stuff'.

SWMBO quantified what must be done before I can retire. She needs an inside bathroom that lets her 1) flick a switch and have lights come on, 2) use a toilet and flush it when done, and 3) wash her hands before turning lights off and leaving.
Women.

So... Hired the septic installer and last week sent him the finally-approved Tennessee septic permit. Hired a solar consultant 2 weeks ago to help insure I order the correct stuff. Dialed up the planning for bringing spring water to the house from down the hill. Planning to be there in mid-March to get started on the spring and prep for solar install.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #35  
This is turning into the longest house build ever. Are you all weather tight now?

Yes, Eddie - weather tight. Thanks. Last week finished the last 18" of osb on wall under the open shed roof - above the full sheets, and with fussy cuts around each rafter to seal that last area. Remainder has been sealed for a long time.

Funny - last summer my wife turned off the build money for a couple of months then, when checking progress so she could comfortably turn my Thanksgiving work trip into a family outing, asked why so little was done.

Full steam ahead now (well, from 500 miles away) so I can pull the 90-day-notice trigger for retirement. Expecting septic to be installed in next few weeks, and to get water from the spring up to the house in March. Hiring plumber to rough in the waste piping in April or May, and we will start solar install in May to power the whole shebang.

SWMBO quantified what must be done before I can retire. She needs an inside bathroom that lets her open a door, walk into the bathroom and 1) flick a switch and have lights come on, 2) use a toilet and flush it when done, and 3) wash her hands before turning lights off and leaving.

Women.

So... Hired the septic installer and last week sent him the finally-approved Tennessee septic permit. Hired a solar consultant 2 weeks ago to help insure I order the correct stuff. Dialed up the planning for bringing spring water to the house from down the hill. Planning to be there in mid-March to get started on the spring and prep for solar install.

Just returned from 2 weeks in Tennessee. The septic system was installed and approved, with the waste pipe extending into our crawl space - nothing yet connected to drains. We dug about 700 feet of 2-foot deep trench, half of it down a steep hill through the forest. We harnessed the spring. Set up a 300 gallon tank with a well pump inside. Cleaned out the spring, dammed it a little with supply and overflow pipes, and plumbed it to the tank. Ran about 600 feet of wire and 250psi 1" pipe up to the house and to the pressure tank. Wired it (220) to the generator, crossed our fingers, and WATER ! Installed and wired the inverter/charger and batteries and connected them to generator. Constructed the ground mounts for the solar, then installed and partially wired the charge controllers. Ran out of time (always need 1 more day).

After I returned home last Sunday my son and my neighbor installed and wired up 9 of the solar panels. They sent me a note Wednesday showing 2800 watts from the panels, enough to run the fridge and A/C plus enough extra to also charge the batteries. They were able to stop the 10 gallon per day gasoline runs, and enjoy some QUIET (no generator) evenings out by the fire..

Our AC current is just through a power strip wired directly to the inverter. Our water is just through a hose connected to the bladder tank. There are still no interior walls or doors. I have plenty still to do to give my wife that civilized restroom visit. Delighted with the huge strides in the last 3 weeks.

Planning a one week trip in early September. Hoping at that time to install the service panel and properly wire up the water pump and that bathroom light. Expecting also to build a few partitions and plumb bathroom supply and drains. Hoping to meet the restroom goals before Christmas.

Hoping to retire early next summer so I can focus on this build.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #38  
One step at a time Oldguy.:thumbsup:
Your last few were huge steps. I can appreciate the silence once getting power other than a generator.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #39  
Progress is good, having power is outstanding!!!!

Appreciate the updates.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #40  
Just returned from 2 weeks in Tennessee. The septic system was installed and approved, with the waste pipe extending into our crawl space - nothing yet connected to drains. We dug about 700 feet of 2-foot deep trench, half of it down a steep hill through the forest. We harnessed the spring. Set up a 300 gallon tank with a well pump inside. Cleaned out the spring, dammed it a little with supply and overflow pipes, and plumbed it to the tank. Ran about 600 feet of wire and 250psi 1" pipe up to the house and to the pressure tank. Wired it (220) to the generator, crossed our fingers, and WATER ! Installed and wired the inverter/charger and batteries and connected them to generator. Constructed the ground mounts for the solar, then installed and partially wired the charge controllers. Ran out of time (always need 1 more day).

After I returned home last Sunday my son and my neighbor installed and wired up 9 of the solar panels. They sent me a note Wednesday showing 2800 watts from the panels, enough to run the fridge and A/C plus enough extra to also charge the batteries. They were able to stop the 10 gallon per day gasoline runs, and enjoy some QUIET (no generator) evenings out by the fire..

Our AC current is just through a power strip wired directly to the inverter. Our water is just through a hose connected to the bladder tank. There are still no interior walls or doors. I have plenty still to do to give my wife that civilized restroom visit. Delighted with the huge strides in the last 3 weeks.

Planning a one week trip in early September. Hoping at that time to install the service panel and properly wire up the water pump and that bathroom light. Expecting also to build a few partitions and plumb bathroom supply and drains. Hoping to meet the restroom goals before Christmas.

Hoping to retire early next summer so I can focus on this build.

Took me 9 years (Summers only) to finish my Nova Scotia ocean front Summer home.
Then only used it for 4 more years before selling it last October.
Sad to see it go, but I am 78.
Shouda started earlier than 65!

Took a big selling price bath with the CAD-USD exchange.