Outdoor Compressor Considerations

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I have a run of the mill Husky compressor from Lowes. I wanted to put it outside to free up space in the shop and cut down on noise. I have a complete dry area under a roof to do this. What other considerations should I be concerned about. I probably need a better air drying system and have ample access to the petcock on bottom. Anything else I am missing?
KIMG0287.JPG.
KIMG0286.JPG

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #2  
Personally I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze..
How much space are u REALLY gonna free up.??
I’ve got my 60 gal. in the corner and it isn’t that loud..

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #3  
Why would you need to have a better air dryer after moving your compressor?

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #4  
Freezing ... Water in lines, tank, regulator, etc. Cold start if oiled.

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #5  
Oh yes freezing lines. Didn't see where you reside. Seems air dryers aren't 100 percent removal..

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #6  
It doesn't look that tall, how about building a riser that would get it up near the ceiling. That would free up the space below it.
Years ago I helped a friend mount his compressor on the top shelf of his storage rack. Bolted it fast and ran the drain line down and into a catch can.

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #7  
I have same compressor in one of my shops. Been a decent small compressor, but outside, even under a cover, it’ll look bad in a few years.

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations
Ok, consensus is keep it inside, I can make that happen. I don't want to screw the thing up. just because I want another 3 sqft of floor space. Thanks TBN brainstrust!

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #9  
I think that having the compressor outside, or in a different room, is a great idea. If I ever get around to building my shop, that's what I'm going to do. Currently, it's in my garage, it doesn't take up any room because it's under my workbench. It's noisy, and for that reason alone, I would move it if I had a place to put it.

I drain my tanks a few times a year. It's amazing how much water gets in there. My compressor is a wheelbarrow style Emglo, so there are two tanks. It also has a wheel to move it around like a wheelbarrow, so it's easy enough to get outside to drain the tanks. It just takes a little time to get it done.

If I had it outside, my biggest fear would be dirt dobbers. They will find a way to plug up every hole that you have. I've had to through away an air line that they plugged up so badly that I just gave up trying to clean it out. I can't imagine what they would do to an outdoor air compressor, but I know they will do something!!!!!

/ Outdoor Compressor Considerations #10  
When you buy a compressor you should look carefully at the dB ratings. If it's quiet, you won't mind it being inside. After years of annoying compressors, I bought a 70 dB compressor from Northern Tool and wish I had gone that way years ago. You can stand next to it and have a normal conversation.