Overhead door

/ Overhead door #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
I have a overhead door on my barn. I have one roller that is squealing, I think it is dragging. Is it worth fixing, or should I just let it squeak?

/ Overhead door #2  
When Overhead Door replaced one of my door springs they told me to give the wheels a shot of 3 in 1 oil every now and then.

/ Overhead door #3  
oil in the center of the wheel where the bearing is not the outside of the roller,

but one can replace the rollers fairly low cost, but keeping the rollers working is important, if the roller wheel is wobbly or can tilt over 10 degrees side to side replace, it,

/ Overhead door #4  
I have 3 overhead doors and twice a year I spray them down with silicon spray, meaning the springs across the top and all moving parts. This procedure was highly recommended from the dealer who installed it and in fact said this is the number one thing that is done when they are called out on service calls. My work well and squeak free.

/ Overhead door #5  
I've replaced all the rollers on my doors with the ones with ball bearings. Now they come sealed with grease so they don't need any maintenance. I've never bothered but you can always lube between the wheels and the track. The bottom wheels are hard to change on some doors because the bracket that holds them also have the mounts for the cables going to the spring(s). I wouldn't change the bottom rollers if you have to deal with springs.

/ Overhead door #6  
Lubed hundreds of them on semi trailers and dock doors!
As stated, silicone spray. Make sure it is the dry stuff, it is less messy.
We used to use something called Todco Overhead Door Spray. (Todco makes commercial overhead doors) I had a cheapo Timex watch that kept stopping. I sprayed some in the watch and it gained an hour by the end of the day!!!!
There are a lot of tricks to working on roll up doors, big thing is to learn them without loosing any body parts! My best trick is to use Vice Grips clamped to the track to keep the door from moving when servicing the hinges or rollers.

/ Overhead door #7  
Keep the springs an bearings oiled.

Also keep in mind, it is never a good idea economically to just replace one spring. (Unless your moving the next day).

Springs are not that expensive. You can avoid the inconvenience of having the second one break, and having to pay a second service call, usually a short time later, if you just replace both of them and get it over with.

You can also usually upgrade your springs from the standard 10k cycles, to 20k or more, for only a nominal charge.

/ Overhead door #8  
Keep the springs an bearings oiled.

Also keep in mind, it is never a good idea economically to just replace one spring. (Unless your moving the next day).

Springs are not that expensive. You can avoid the inconvenience of having the second one break, and having to pay a second service call, usually a short time later, if you just replace both of them and get it over with.

You can also usually upgrade your springs from the standard 10k cycles, to 20k or more, for only a nominal charge.

I had one spring break first thing in the morning on December 6 of last year. The rollers were also getting worn and noisy. I've worked on those things myself in the past, but didn't want to do that, so I called a company I'd never even heard of (Reliable Garage Door Co.) and they said they could have a guy here before noon. Very nice, and very competent, young fellow arrived within the hour, so I splurged and spent some money with him.:laughing: I let him install their "lifetime warranty" springs instead of the "10 year warranty" ones, and I let him replace all the rollers with the nylon rollers. I noticed he just used a regular silicone spray lube, but I use the 3 in 1 Garage Door Lube.

/ Overhead door #9  
Having spent most of my life as a painter, I would love to see silicone lubricants banned from the face of the earth. They are an extreme contaminate that is nearly impossible to eliminate for painting. So, your fixing one problem, and creating another.

I have always liked the lasting protection provided by Howes Lubricator, but it is hard to find on the shelf for sale.

Lately, I have been experimenting with UltraLube. It is a soy based lubricant that is completely odorless, (I consider that a big bonus), and seems to be long lasting. I was buying it as Lowes, and HD has recently started carrying it. 4x More Lubrication - UltraLube lubricants

/ Overhead door #10  
Having spent most of my life as a painter, I would love to see silicone lubricants banned from the face of the earth. They are an extreme contaminate that is nearly impossible to eliminate for painting. So, your fixing one problem, and creating another.

I don't guess I'd heard that before or knew it was a problem for some, but in my case I don't plan to have to paint anything where a lubricant is used anyway.