Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #11  
Having never had the side by side pedal arrangement, I cannot comment. I do not have an instinct for a left foot brake, but I could adjust, I'm sure. My newer BX did not have the single rocker HST pedal anymore either, but I find the separation on the B is farther apart and I've not completely adjusted to it yet.

The L, M, H range is pretty nice. I don't think it is a deal breaker, but it is wonderful to have the choices and I find the more I have it, the more I select the appropriate speed. My BX only had the two range, and I rarely used the high.

I also believe the one piece hood found on other OEMs makes for easier access to the engine. Kubota has stayed with the side curtain style of days gone by and I have wondered what their thinking is and why.

For me, the Kubota Bxx20 was a great match and I simply prefer the local Kubota dealer. That played a big part. I also found the Kubota B2320 was $1800 less than the JD2320. I'd have been hard pressed to find that extra JD value. I don't ever buy an MMM so the drive over feature wasn't important to me. I could have saved another $1200 in buying an LS, but didn't have that warm secure feeling from the dealership.

I've also never liked the way the hydraulic hoses flop around underneath on the JD and most other manufacturers. I prefer Kubota's routing of hard lines. Each to his own.

Frankly, I'd probably be happy with any similar sized CUT. Each would have its own pluses and minuses. Frankly, I'd have been happy with a JD, MF and even the LS.

I'm very happy for BXowner. Enjoy your new Deere.

When I was a young man, some motorcycles had the shift on the right and brake on the left and some just the opposite. I remember the first time I rode my brand new Bultaco from the dealer, I blew through two stop lights when instead of braking, I only downshifted. On another occasion a fried of mine wanted to try mine out as it was a lot faster than his Honda. He wound up running into me when, you guessed it, he hit the shifter instead of the brake. I lost a lot of skin that day and still have the scars.

Learning to operate one tractor with either one or the other is not usually an issue, but I operate several different tractors with HST and geared units. ALL have the brake on the right with one lone exception. I can only speak for myself, but I will never feel comfortable going from one design to the other as we have too many drop offs and ponds.

I have told the story before, but my father in law put his 425 into ten feet of water not long after he bought it when he hit forward instead of reverse and he was far from inexperienced. He got use to it, but my mother in law never liked it and used an old 185 or 265 with hand controls to the day she died.

Like I said, it takes all kinds and it is hard to know what is going to work best.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320
bp -

Good point about the routing of the hoses - much better on the Kubota. Though, Deere has added a loop to help with the flop, a bit.

I did discover one other thing about the Kubota I really liked - the retractable seatbelt. I'm going to have to look into how much one costs at the dealership - I'm not too keen on the 2-piece design of the Deere, as there's adjustment throughout the year (no, not a big deal after Thanksgiving dinner, but heavy coats vs. sweatshirt makes a difference in "fiddling").

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #13  
What is the actual price difference between the two units (comparably equipped)? I'm in the early stages of looking. I need a bigger heavy duty unit to mow a large area. I'm a Deere guy but I'm not affraid to buy orange if it works out that way. The Kubota dealer is about 30 miles closer than the JD dealer. One thing I look at is reasale value. I've seen people go nuts at auctions on the ones with green paint. Just another thing to consider.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #14  
What is the actual price difference between the two units (comparably equipped)? I'm in the early stages of looking. I need a bigger heavy duty unit to mow a large area. I'm a Deere guy but I'm not afraid to buy orange if it works out that way. The Kubota dealer is about 30 miles closer than the JD dealer. One thing I look at is resale value. I've seen people go nuts at auctions on the ones with green paint. Just another thing to consider.

You might want to look at the B2630 as it will be a better comparison in my opinion as to features especially position control 3-point.

I wouldn't worry too much about the added distance to the Deere dealer as you will probably never even need to go there if you do your own maintenance.

Good luck.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #15  
Your findings do not surprise me. The 2320 is a really nice tractor. I have had about all of them in the jd line and none have I enjoyed using as much as the 2320 I spend the most time on now.

John

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #16  
Well, I mentioned in another thread that I'd outline the reasons why I traded my B2920 Kubota in for a Deere 2320. And at the risk of criticism, I'm writing this up to save someone in my position the expense of making the same mistake... I believe the more you learn from other's experiences, the better able you are to make an informed decision for yourself.

In hindsight, my problem came from thinking that I could read specs on brochures to reach my decision instead of actual seat time. While I did drive both tractors briefly at the dealers, there was a week between test drives. I think anyone looking into these ought to spend time on whatever machines they're comparing back-to-back. Better yet, get the dealer to drop one off on your property. I'm not suggesting that reading this will cause you to reach the same conclusion - again, just for information.

On paper, the B2920 is the better buy: 3-speed hydro tranny, better hp-to-dollar ratio, stronger loader, higher hydraulic pump output, etc. It also came with the larger tires and the attachments were less expensive, but no less robust (in my opinion).

But, in reality - again to my opinion - it wasn't until I owned it for a year that certain cost-cutting features made me dissatisfied. I've written over and over about the pedal configuration - I couldn't get the dealer to fix the sticky pedal issue, so when fully depressed, either forward or reverse, it would stick. This resulted in two memorable experiences where I had a "panic" stop - stabbing at the brake. It was only momentary, mind you, but disconcerting nonetheless. Also, I brushhog by backing up as close to an embankment as I can - the tractor foot pedals caused me to be quite nervous that I'd roll backward, even though I was on solid ground. With the brake pedal on the opposite side, I feel that I can have confidence that I can position myself into place without risk of rollover.

Other cost-cutting features: I just don't like engaging the clutch to operate the PTO. The Deere's electronic PTO is far superior.

It sounds silly, but the 4WD lamp on the dash of the Deere is really nice when operating in the dark.

Another small detail, but nice in practice: you have to hold the Kubota key in place to glow the plugs, while the Deere has a detent in the key position that allows you to twist and release - wait for the dash light to extinguish - and turn over the tractor. I will say, it was nice to have the key on the Kubota positioned on the side of the dash, instead of in front of your knee - although I can't say as I've knocked into the Deere key yet.

On the Kubota, the foldable ROPS design allows for a lot of annoying and loud vibration (at idle) where the "split" meets. Kubota does offer two screws that you can tighten to prevent this, but I had forward-facing work lamps positioned in the same location. The forward-leaning top half of the ROPS on the Deere prevents this simply by having gravity working to keep the ROPS quiet.

It wasn't until I owned the B2920 for a while that I discovered that position control is vastly superior to 1/4 inching. Simple as that.

For the mid-mount mower, on the Kubota, you have to remove two pins and two little ramps and position them before you can drive over the deck. From the angle of the ramps, it would cause the mower deck to slide across the concrete floor of my garage unless I gave it some "oomph." The multiple brackets reminded me more of mid-80s design than what I would have expected in a new design for 2010. I found it very difficult to connect the linkage. The Deere design is far better, both in drive-over design as well as the support linkage, not to mention the ability to move it around with the 3-point.

The steering on the Kubota is very light and easy to operate, but no matter whether I had the tractor in 2WD or 4WD, the turf tires tore up the lawn any time I changed direction more than about 35-40 degrees - forget a full turn. It simply comes down to the geometry of the axle. The Deere geometry prevents the tires from tearing up the grass.

To access the motor on the Kubota, you have to lift the hood, then loosen 2 plastic screws, then remove 3 separate panels. I like the simplicity of lifting the Deere hood as one unit.

Finally, the loader: removal of the loader on the Deere is as simple as can be. Lift two levers (even sitting in the seat), put a little pressure on the joystick and back away. On the Kubota, however, you have to adjust the joystick, get off the tractor - and on each side of the loader, pull pins, drop levers, reconnect pins and get back on. Adjust the joystick again. Reach over on both sides and pull out two more removable pins and drop them into a bracket. Adjust the joystick once more and then back away. Also, it's not as easy for me to estimate whether the bucket is level based upon a parallel bracket - the Deere's level indicator rod works simply and accurately.

It is worth noting that the seat assembly is pretty nice on the Kubota - with springs, as opposed to rubber bumpers. Closer to a suspension seat, which is very comfortable. But, it's black and gets pretty hot in the sun.

Well, there it is. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment with the 2320. Hopefully, I'll soon forget that it just cost me a little more than the next person.

Ergonomics mean alot to me after years of driving an International 300 UT scraping out cow barns twice a day. The 300's foot clutch went straight down. Straight down while sitting down doesn't match up very well, my back still isn't right. Thank God we got out of the dairy business in 1998 and I've been enjoying life ever since. When I tried both the JD and Kub the JD hydro pedals made it a dream to drive over the Kub foot treadle design. With the Kub I felt like I was on the old 300 again altho it was the right leg instead of the left. It just didn't fit me.
One other thing that did influence my decision was an experience I had with my Kubota ZD-28 grasscutter. The right side hydro blew out at about 800 hrs. Kubota knew about this as it happpend to many at about that amount of hrs. It was a flaw in the pump design that there wasn't enough hydro oil to safely run the deck and drive wheels. They developed a reservior to add more oil to the system. It took one whole month to get the parts to fix it, way too long a wait. The dealer was great in giving me a loaner to use to keep cutting. I wish I could say the same about the Kubota company. I didn't get any help from them even tho they knew it was problem happening over and over again. I didn't hold a grudge but I never forgot it when it was time to purchase a tractor. As far as JD parts go you can wait a few days for regular freight or pay to get it the next day. I don't know how they would handle an issue with the tractor if it came up and I hope I never do. The Kub dealer is the best around and I do like the ZD, it has performed well except for that one instance. I'll look at them again when it comes time to get another grasscutter but I'll also look at others too. I was all orange thru and thru, couldn't say enough good about them but that changed when they didn't own up to there design failure. Sometimes you get one shot at making a good impression, they did and blew it.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #17  
I did discover one other thing about the Kubota I really liked - the retractable seatbelt. I'm going to have to look into how much one costs at the dealership - I'm not too keen on the 2-piece design of the Deere, as there's adjustment throughout the year (no, not a big deal after Thanksgiving dinner, but heavy coats vs. sweatshirt makes a difference in "fiddling").

My JD 110 TLB has a retractable seatbelt, most likely due to the fact that you flip the seat over for the hoe. Not sure if other larger JD tractors have a retractable seatbelt, but the JD dealer can get one.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #18  
I just bought the B2920 and found it to be a "big" mistake. I own a older b7610 rated at 24hp. The b2920 is rated at 29hp. We use them to clean out poultry barns using a front blade. The 24hp b7610 easily out works the 29hp b2920. I brought it back to the dealer who checked the pressures and found them to be in spec. He talked to the regional rep. who told him there had been changes made to the design of the hydrostatic tranny which would result in what I was experiencing. So in summary, the 29hp tractor puts considerably less power to the wheels than the older 24hp.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #19  
I just bought the B2920 and found it to be a "big" mistake. I own a older b7610 rated at 24hp. The b2920 is rated at 29hp. We use them to clean out poultry barns using a front blade. The 24hp b7610 easily out works the 29hp b2920. I brought it back to the dealer who checked the pressures and found them to be in spec. He talked to the regional rep. who told him there had been changes made to the design of the hydrostatic tranny which would result in what I was experiencing. So in summary, the 29hp tractor puts considerably less power to the wheels than the older 24hp.

I doubt power to wheels is your problem -- the B2920 is traction limited for all tasks I have tried. It will run out of traction *long* before it runs out of power. If your wheels are not breaking loose, something else is wrong.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #20  
We run both our tractors in high range. Our barns are 400 feet long so if we want to get the job done its high range. We put the tractors side by side in high range. The b2920 has a blade that is 4 inches narrorwer than the blade on the B7610.
My son was on one and I was on the other. Full throttle on both. Put the blades down into 4 inches of littler. The b7610 easily walked away from the b2920. The smaller tractor engine was working hard but it kept going. The b2920 required a lot more foot pressure on the peddle and eventually quit moving. The engine revs barely dropped but the wheels stopped turning. Sure I could shift into a lower range and keep going but the smaller tractor kept going in high range. The ratios on both tractors are the same. At the same rpm in high range both tractors travel at the same speed. The tractor was checked for pressures and was fine. The Kubota rep explained it was the design of the tranny that allowed more fluid to bypass. In the end I can clean out my barns much faster and with much less foot pressure on the peddle with the less powerful tractor.
Another test we did was to lock the peddle at half speed in high range and drive the blade into more than we can push. The B7610 stalled quite quickly. Like a standard transmission would. The b2920 drove up to the pile and the wheels stopped moving. The revs dropped a little but no where near stalling. The fluid was just by-passing. If the tractor was used for mowing lawn or other tasks where you don't require high range pushing power it would be okay but for my situation the smaller tractor way outperforms the more powerful one and is much more enjoyable because it requires very light foot pressure to do it.
Quite disappointing as I expected that a 20% increase in hp would translate in getting the job done quicker and easier not slower and with more effort on my part. (right leg gets tired from pushing hard for hours on end)