oxy-acetylene welding kit

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #1  

tderrick

Silver Member
Tractor
L3901 , Ford 8N and 640
Can anyone guide me to a good supplier for an oxy-acetylene welding kit?

Just light to medium duty around the farm to fix gates and such...

also tired of using those goofy little butane / propane bottle torches to heat up
stuck fasteners...

On stuff like... Old Tractors!! :p

tia

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #2  
Whatevers available at your local welding supply. Id look for made in the US products. Personally Victor and Harris are among the best. Parts are available for both ( Victor moreso).

One thing id recommend is that unless you plan on using alot of gas and have to lease the large bottles, spend the money and buy your own bottles. THe annual lease thing sucks.My lease this year was going to be $140 so i reluctantly had to turn them in. Im now shopping for my own. Here we can only own the small bottles but theres different rules in different areas.

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #3  
We use Purox torches in our shop, we have a W-200, and a W-201 (similar to the current W-300)

Both torches are around 30 years old, we had the W-200 rebuilt earlier this season, it came back like a brand new torch, the W-201 is being rebuilt right now. They are not the cheapest but the quality is excellent. I really like the feel of these torches.

If you have an Airgas or similar welding supply store go and see if they have a selection in stock, get a feel for what you like before you buy.

Whatever you get don't cheap out, a cheap torch that leaks or has other questionable behavior isn't worth any amount of savings.

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit
I see alot of Lincoln and Miller brands for sale around here, (Arc type)
Do they make good Oxy-Acetylene Kits?

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #5  
Victor has been the most I see prestolite second

I have a 2 stage prestolite and a convertible torch heat/ burning.

I'm having a issue with getting acetylene (my tanks are too old and the cost big $$ to get them tested or new ones) and am concerting a propane / oxygen setup a supposedly just change a tip but haven't bit the bullet yet and tried it yet

tom

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #6  
Could be wrong but I don't think Lincoln or Miller make torches. I purchased a Smith torch set on ebay that I really like. Victor also makes good torches.

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #7  
I'm having a issue with getting acetylene (my tanks are too old and the cost big $$ to get them tested or new ones) and am concerting a propane / oxygen setup a supposedly just change a tip but haven't bit the bullet yet and tried it yet

My Smith set is for propane. This web page covers propane torching quite well.

Welding: Adjusting a heating torch, oxy/propane

/ oxy-acetylene welding kit #8  
I see alot of Lincoln and Miller brands for sale around here, (Arc type)
Do they make good Oxy-Acetylene Kits?

Lincoln and miller are known for their welders. They do make plasma cutters but not Oxy Acet torches.