Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #421  
Ground was damp this morning, but not measurable. Sure hope we get some rain soon
Don't count on it. It's August, the traditional start of the fire season. The big firestorms last year were on Labor Day.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #422  
Got 'raind out' yesterday but it really was only a light shower and I was packing up to quit the firewood cutting anyhow.

Cool today and looks like 5 days of temps in low 80s. Back to cutting firewood and planning on a good 4 hour session vice the usual 2 and quit for theday as the heat was building. Not to be again. I hour in and the main saw broke the bar adjusting screw. 60 mile round trip to a good dealer that will do "walk-ins'. Back to cutting again tomorrow to celebrate the nice weather.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #423  
Wow . . . did he get a ticket?
No. Just explained to him the regulations and he and the crew put it out. He is new to the community but kind of starting off a little "on the edge"... :)

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued
It's been cooler & overcast with no smoke today. Lower temps are muchly appreciated. 82F @ 1:30pm.

Thank you - repete. Very handy link. Was able to establish the exact coordinates of my house.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #427  
Predicting the end to a drought is like predicting a stock market crash. Everybody knows it will happen, but nobody knows when.

The Dust Bowl only lasted a few years, but it was enough to turn my grandparents into climate refugees in the '30s. The flood of refugees at our southern border are in a main part the result of the drought in Central America. A drought cycle wiped out the Anasazi in the SW, and the same thing could happen to Phoenix if the drought drags on. Few records survive, but there is archaeological evidence that the complete collapse of civilization in the 12th century bce was the result of a 200 year "aridification event." The Mongol invasions were triggered by the failure of rains and pasture in Mongolia.

As we say here in the West, "Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting." Drought can trigger the migration of whole populations, as farms and cities become uninhabitable. I don't see anybody leaping to develop new water projects, but the Oglala Aquifer is getting pumped out and an extended drought could wipe out a whole segment of American agriculture.

The border is being flooded by people from up to 150 countries. It’s the opportunities for money and some freedom. Just like the Italians that came in the early 1900’s, Larry.

The #1 country being fled is war torn Syria, not a Central American country.

Besides, if they were fleeing a drought, why would they come to the drought here in the US you’ve been complaining about for the last 3 months? Plus we have all kinds of other problems (public beheadings, systemic racism, riots in cities, police assassinations, etc)

Even if that WAS the reason, once the “climate refugees” are here, if the drought ends back home, would they go back to Central America?
Never in a million years, Lar. It’s the money. Always follow the money.
Money is happiness and freedom. Money is opportunities and safety. Money is comfort and food. Money is education and success.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, here in my little neck of the woods - another cool/smoke free morning.

The breeze is again coming out of the SW. So - grsthegreat should be doing fine up there in N ID also.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #429  
Y'all really ain't a'gonna like the CDC outlook for the next couple of weeks:

CDCAug21Tmp.JPG
CDCAug21Precip.JPG

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #430  
I just received a warning of excessive - record setting - heat for all of the PNW. Check your local forecast and be prepared. It is expected to begin this coming weekend and last thru the middle of the coming week.
We get that heat every year. I work outside too. Been all through Canada and Alaska. Of course, your winters would get me.