Packaging gone wrong.

/ Packaging gone wrong. #21  
I am always much happier with excessive packaging over lack there of... I can not tell you how times we have received damaged item do to the lack of packing (either due to experience or lack of concern). We collect old oil / kerosene lamps & I can not tell you how many times we have received damaged / broken 100+ yrs items due to negligent packaging; even from experienced seller & shops. It has gotten so that we now require either a picture of the packaged items or for then to take the item to a professional Pack & Ship place... (Hard to replace 100yr + old items).

On a different note love cardboard, use it under vehicles, paint shields, gun & archery targets, templating... it's free & when I'm done usually still recyclable
Agree with that. My Grille Guard was a factory John Deere Part with JD stickers on the box.
There was no packing of any kind in the box.
If it had been a tight fit maybe that would make sense, but it was loose fitting the top bar was a bit marred up as well from rattling around. I always keep spare carboard as well for laying on concrete or outside. Also handy for mixing bondo or glue and making sheetmetal test patterns as well.

/ Packaging gone wrong. #22  
We had three deliveries this week with packaging issues. Thankfully, nothing was missing or broke, though how some of items did not get lost is a miracle. Two deliveries were from Amazon. One package was a paper bag/envelope instead of the usual tear resistant bag/envelope. The paper had ripped on one edge and some of the items were small enough to have escape the package. The other package had a few small items but the box was a good 6x6x6 which was overkill. In both cases, the tear resistant bag/envelope would have been a better choice. But, maybe Amazon was out of the tear resistant bag/envelopes. Stuff happens.

The delivery that had package overkill was from a company that mails out small, deck of cards sized products. They can have larger orders but a years worth of the product would be TWO deck of cards. The box was a good 6x6x6. I would not want the product shipped in an envelope but a smaller box would have protected the items.

Having said that, the box would be hard to loose which might be a bigger issue for the company than the cost of the packaging. Earlier in the year, I ordered a knife from Amazon which did not arrive as it should. This is one of the few shipping issues from Amazon we have had and it was not Amazon's fault. The package was with the USPS and they did not deliver for THREE weeks or so. My guess is that the envelope/bag got misplaced somewhere at the post office, or more likely, in the delivery person's car. It could happen easily enough. We called Amazon, got a new knife shipped and when the first knife eventually showed up, Amazon just said keep it. It was not worth mailing back and them having to restock.

Later,
Dan