Pallets in fields

/ Pallets in fields #141  
Perhaps the farmer uses the pallets to mark which fields get lime applied by the local supplier. He might not lime every field every year - the pallets would make an easy visual to locate which fields are on the lime schedule.

Let the record reflect that I have already mentioned the possibility of the pallets being used to mark the field for the purposes of applying soil enhancements. Said enhancements (specifically lime) could reasonably be expected to be applied during the winter months.

I have never seen a crop duster apply his wares to ground without a crop....that would be ground dusting...and that I have never heard of.

/ Pallets in fields #142  
Let the record reflect that I have already mentioned the possibility of the pallets being used to mark the field for the purposes of applying soil enhancements. Said enhancements (specifically lime) could reasonably be expected to be applied during the winter months.

I have never seen a crop duster apply his wares to ground without a crop....that would be ground dusting...and that I have never heard of.

Dean I am with you on this, I think that lime application is a good idea! What does this make for me 4 different allegiances.? One of these is bound to be right, and I am going to claim see I said in post #xx that is what I said! Heck we are never going to really know anyway!

James K0UA

/ Pallets in fields #143  
James you are right...I believe the Vegas odds that we learn the truth are pretty high right now!!

/ Pallets in fields #144  
As a followup, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility that the pallets were deposited by fully laden swallows.:)

Steve

African or European? I observed a swarm of Tasmanian "Welcome Swallows" just yesterday... but it's summer down here so the season is wrong for the pallet-stacking phenomena.

/ Pallets in fields #145  
African or European? I observed a swarm of Tasmanian "Welcome Swallows" just yesterday... but it's summer down here so the season is wrong for the pallet-stacking phenomena.

And where are my Coconuts? And we will need the Holy Hand grenade.

/ Pallets in fields #146  
Pallets are nothing but decoy,so that we don't see whats going on the other side of knoll/woods..and its working. ;)

/ Pallets in fields #147  
Perhaps the farmer uses the pallets to mark which fields get lime applied by the local supplier. He might not lime every field every year - the pallets would make an easy visual to locate which fields are on the lime schedule.

Dean I am with you on this, I think that lime application is a good idea! What does this make for me 4 different allegiances.? One of these is bound to be right, and I am going to claim see I said in post #xx that is what I said! Heck we are never going to really know anyway! James K0UA

We now have a "Markist" (not to be confused with Marxist) Theory.

Unlike the Dusterist Theory, Markism is consistent with standard agronomic practices.

However, there appears to be a flaw with the Markist Theory and other theories that state the pallets are used to demarcate fields/boundaries/fixtures on a temporary basis.

Let us think about the time and effort to transport pallets, erect them in an inverted V fashion, and then retrieve them some months later. This would require strenuous effort by one person -- it is likely that two people would be involved. Also, equipment must be used to transport the pallets to and fro.

Contrast this scenario with the use of a plastic step-in fence post (or similar device) and plastic flagging. The field/boundary/fixture is identified and the fence post can be set (or retrieved) in a matter of seconds by one person. A person could easily carry the devices or use an ATV for transport.

How do the Markists respond?

Steve

Last edited:
   / Pallets in fields #148  

And where are my Coconuts? And we will need the Holy Hand grenade.

With my apology for thread drift, but I would love to attend one of their reunion shows in London this summer. Alas, I will have to wait for the DVD.

Are you fans of Rowan Atkinson?

Steve

/ Pallets in fields #149  
Hang on a minute mate ! From this side of the world that is not an 'inverted' V. It's the right way up. Just got a lot of dirt on the top of it. :thumbsup:

/ Pallets in fields #150  
Hang on a minute mate ! From this side of the world that is not an 'inverted' V. It's the right way up. Just got a lot of dirt on the top of it. :thumbsup:

I apologize for being too Northern Hemisphere-centric.:eek:

Steve