Parbuckle those logs onto the truck

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #21  
MossRoad,
It's been a long time. I don't remember the kid and the narrator seems different. The loader works the way I remember, though. There were several pulpwood trucks and tractor drawn log arches in my area that used differentials as winches but, no log hauling trucks that I know of. Thanks for the details. It's good to know I'm not the only one fascinated with the contraption. You're right about the dangerous part, too.

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #22  
Yup, buyers look for that, to use for an excuse to low ball you on the price of that log!

SR

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #23  
One of the mules was named Kate! Believe it or not, my grandfather had a former sawmill mule named Kate when I was a kid.

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #24  
Here's the video I saw....

Looks like Bob likes to sell junk logs that have a nice big split about six feet up! Different felling techniques will prevent that an produce a more saleable log.

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #25  
Looks like Bob likes to sell junk logs that have a nice big split about six feet up! Different felling techniques will prevent that an produce a more saleable log.

Yep. But Bob doesn't seem too concerned with it and seems to really be enjoying himself out in the woods with his son and mules. He nor the kid nor the mules look stressed at all. ;)

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #26  
There's also this one, start at about 18:00 or so.

I can't play the sound at work to hear if they are in any way related to the other crew, they use a similar log loader on a newer truck.

Dirty Jobs S2E39 Mule Logger - video dailymotion

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #27  
GLyford,
I love watching that kind of machinery and that could be the one I saw. All I remember is the lift mechanism. Whether it was on Dirty Jobs has slipped my mind. Thanks for putting it up.

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #28  
Here's some pictures of the mechanism I found on the google.

585516d1546397923t-parbuckle-those-logs-onto-truck-86df7d4b-7d8f-4e20-a4bd-65b430b56aa4
About 1970 I saw a haying crew use that mechanism - on a stripped pickup chassis - to to power a rotating mast & boom hay bale tosser to load trucks.

When the brakeman stomped on a brake pedal the bale literally flew up to the stack on top of the the semi.

It looked dangerous as h*** especially for the guy up on the truck stacking, but also for the rest of the crew with the cable and tongs flying around to (hopefully) land near the next bale while the driver moved forward.

I don't think they do it that way any more. :)

Last edited:
   / Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #29  
[video]http://basicbill.com/post/53771196674/curvekick[/video]

Bale Thrower.

/ Parbuckle those logs onto the truck #30  
[video]http://basicbill.com/post/53771196674/curvekick[/video]

Bale Thrower.

Nice! I'll bet that might have prompted some hold my beer and watch this moments.... :laughing: