Part #3 - Oil pressure

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is that normal or just a lot of room between the bearings and the journals?
)</font>

Yes and yes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep.. it's well worn in its 59 years of service, and yep.. that's pretty much normal.

ideally, new, the pressure would have been 34-40 cold, depending on how accurately the bypass spring was set ( 34 was suposedly 'bypass point'.. but it's not uncommon to see 40 psi cold on an otherwise oem engine ). Anyway.. and then 25-34 for running. My 8n drops to 20 at hot idle. And is cold at 40. i consider that 'great'. My 2n is 18/10 or 8 and that is well worn but serviceable. In fact.. we N people pretty much consider 6psi hot idle to still be 'working' pressure. My Naa and 660 both start up around 50 cold.. and go to 40 hot 9 their oil bypass was set higher than the N's. ).

Oem N engine was a 4 cyl flat head. Crank had renewable bearing shells.. but cam ran bare in the block.. that's where alotta oil pressure goes...

Soundguy

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure #23  
<font color="blue">Oem N engine was a 4 cyl flat head. Crank had renewable bearing shells.. but cam ran bare in the block.. that's where alotta oil pressure goes... </font>

It is amazing how that old iron Just keeps going!

Gary

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure
drained oil, balack as the night, but no water /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

problem is.....can get the filter undone, it is just a normal undoing?, just wont budge
any ideas on size of spanner to use, 20mm 22mm 7/8 and next one down from 7/8 dont fit /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
thanks man

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure #25  
Mith,

It is not uncommon for the oil from a diesel engine to be full of soot, not a big deal. As for the filter, it should not be all that hard to come out unless it has not been removed for a while. I can not get to the B6000 right now, it is buried in the barn. But if I remember correctly it was around 7/8". And it is a standard thread. I just use a box wrench on it. If it won't budge, maybe try some gentle heat. I would start with a heat gun not a torch.

Hope this helps,

Gary

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">Oem N engine was a 4 cyl flat head. Crank had renewable bearing shells.. but cam ran bare in the block.. that's where alotta oil pressure goes... </font>

It is amazing how that old iron Just keeps going!

Gary )</font>

I is funny you said that. It reminded me of the 40's army jeep my grandfather worked on. when he got it the engine was locked up. He took the head off and put penetrating oil all over the top of the pistons and finally broke it free. Then he sanded (with sandpaper) the inside of the cylinder and the outside of each piston and that dang jeep is still running and doesn't burn all that much oil.
Made as a throw away vehicle and you can keep them running like that.

K.I.S.S. is a good moto

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure
OK im progressing, got the filter out. had to jack the whole thing off the ground 1 1/2 foot and get a scaffold pole to put on the wrench it was so tight /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
anyway, whats the plan on cleaning it. it isnt really that dirty atall which is a pity cos that would be an easy fix /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
pulled the switch, test it tomorrow.

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure #28  
<font color="blue"> whats the plan on cleaning it </font>

I use Break Parts Cleaner, but kerosine will work just fine. While you have it out, make sure the rubber seals (O rings if I remember correctly) are in good shape. If not, this could cause low oil pressure.

BTW, when you replace the filter, you should not use the same "scaffold pole" !!!

Gary

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure
ummm, which O rings
we may have found a problem. where are they on the filter? i can take a pic of it tomorrow if this helps
kerosine is hard to come by, brake cleaner will be the one, just dunk it right.

i was planning on doing the filter up as tight as a plain wrench would allow
maybe it was overtightened to make up for the lack of O rings to prevent it leaking?

thanks, dunno what id do without ya
hey id still be thinking the light was an ignition light /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
cheers

/ Part #3 - Oil pressure #30  
It is an O ring, just checked the parts manual. It either is on the filter or is still in the block.... or it is missing. This might be part of the problem. If I remember the O ring is to hold pressure around the filter and to stop the oil from bypassing. But it has been a while since I have really looked at it. If need be, I will go out tomorrow and pull mine out to look. I have to change the oil in it anyway, I just sold it!

I would still go ahead and check the switch.

Gary