Pay for work not done?

/ Pay for work not done? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Dealer (Texas) did some work on my tractor. Billed me. I paid. Tractor then trucked to my home (WI). Discovered work was not done after tractor arrived.

I called my credit card company and stopped payment. Dealer (in TX) is unhappy.

I explained in the simplest terms I could, it would be like him coming to get his appendix removed. Hospital bills him for removing appendix. He discovers a month later his appendix was not removed. Would he pay the bill for his appendectomy that was not done?

So, should I pay this dealer (in Texas) for work he did not do?
Bob

/ Pay for work not done? #2  
Did you call the dealer first? If not, that may have contributed to the dealership unhappiness.

To me, stopping the payment via the CC company would be kind of a last resort.

Just my opinion.

Scott

/ Pay for work not done? #3  
It is the dealers responsibility to be sure that work billed was actually performed.
A call might have sufficed, but the blame is all on the dealer.

Was any of the work done ? or none ?
If none at all I would have done just as you did.

/ Pay for work not done?
slowrev said:
It is the dealers responsibility to be sure that work billed was actually performed.
A call might have sufficed, but the blame is all on the dealer.

Was any of the work done ? or none ?
If none at all I would have done just as you did.

he switched my vertical exhaust with another tractor horizontal exhaust (both used). He wanted the vertical and I wanted the horizontal. Charged me 75 for the labor. My credit card company does not give me the option of paying for part of the service. Simply all or none.
Bob

PS Once the issue is resolved, I will pay him 75 dollars for the work done.

/ Pay for work not done? #5  
Doc_Bob said:
he switched my vertical exhaust with another tractor horizontal exhaust (both used). He wanted the vertical and I wanted the horizontal. Charged me 75 for the labor. My credit card company does not give me the option of paying for part of the service. Simply all or none.
Bob

I guess I must be slow today. You say he switched the exhausts, and charged for the labor. What am I missing? Looks like he did the service, unless there is something else?

/ Pay for work not done? #6  
Now that you have his attention, ask him what he is willing to pay you for your time spent fixing the problem he caused.

Also there is the matter of trucking from TX to WI. If he wants to do the work, he should pay not only for trasnsport, but a reasonable rate for your loss of use of the tractor while it is gone.

Even if you choose to have the work done locally, he should still pay for your time to arrange the work and your loss of use.

He may just decide to eat the $75 and forget the whole thing. He should really tell his shop people to be more careful about actually doing work before billing for it. He could be looking at a fraud charge.

/ Pay for work not done? #7  
No tickie..no laundry!! He didnt do the work...he gets cut off on payment.

/ Pay for work not done? #8  
Bob, can you tell us what the dealer was supposed to do that did not get done? All you've mentioned in this post so far is that the exhaust system was swapped. Was the work done open to interpretation like an adjustment of some sort? Was it a fluid and filter change and you found an old filter? Or, was it something more definite like putting on industrial tires instead of ag tires?

I think you mentioned this in the NH forums, but I just can't remember what the issue was.

/ Pay for work not done? #9  
As I read this post I see " Dealer from Texas" Well Texas is pretty big,and just to let everybody know it was not us. We try to be active on this board and help where we can.If you have a problem with a dealer and you don't want to mention by name at least post the town.Since I know dealers all accross the USA selling Jinma,Farmpro,Nortac ect, I can help locate some dealers for service alot closer than Texas to Wis.If you need service on your tractor that you cannot do yourself,post it on here,there is alot of help for the asking

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
Bellville,Texas

/ Pay for work not done? #10  
Doc_Bob said:
Bob

I know you couldn't have picked up your TN and not known which exhaust pipe that was on the rig at the time, so what's the rest of the story here Bob?