Pay for work not done?

/ Pay for work not done?
Update on the work not done saga.

With the help of Onsight, hauled the TN70A to a local dealer (AG dealer) who entered the symptoms of the problem into his NH assist computer. Question: "Needs clutch to shift power shuttle". Out popped the answer, "Is the safety switch disconnected on the seat?"

Answer: Yes it is. Solution, simply reconnect-disabled safety switch and PS will work. The service manager walked out to the tractor looked under the seat and saw that the safety switch was disconnected!!!!!!!!!!

Now, can you believe the dealer in Texas never knew that solution and replaced lots of stuff ($$$$$$$$$$$) all when simply reconnecting a single switch under the seat would solve the problem???
Bob

/ Pay for work not done? #62  
Bob it's hard to believe that something as simple as a seat switch could cause all your PS problems. It's going to be interesting to hear the 1st dealers reasoning for not at least contacting NH and getting some input from them.

Nice to know that HSTs don't work the same way when the seat switch has been defeated, at least not on ours........

Glad your problems are now behind you, or should I say under you. :D

/ Pay for work not done? #63  
Given the NH database "knew" the quick and dirt cheap solution, it's going to be awful hard to pay the TX dealer for the parts he installed you didn't need. I'd say the GM there will have to chalk this one up and move on, after talking to his service guys. Almost a sad story, given how much blowback you got, that the TX guys didn't try the simplest things first. Your analysis that they don't/didn't know PS sounds right on. Send the guy a copy of this whole thread - he can then see you aren't out to get him, but being fair to him. And I wouldn't send a check with your note. He made a mistake.
Jim

/ Pay for work not done? #64  
Boy, you got yourself a real mess now. When did the switch become disconnected??? Before the first dealer took possession and made repairs? While it was being loaded on the transporter to be taken to WI? During the transporting of the tractor between TX and WI?? While you were unloading it from the transporter in WI??? I guess the big question is, did the dealer, who did the final repair/troubleshooting, determine from all the codes, that the only issue, from before you had it delivered to the TX dealer, was the switch??? I kept reading Codes mentioned, as in plural, more than one. I find it hard to believe that a safety switch gives off more than one code.

/ Pay for work not done?
neverenough said:
Boy, you got yourself a real mess now. When did the switch become disconnected??? I find it hard to believe that a safety switch gives off more than one code.

The switch has been disconnected for years. It was disconnected when worked on by the folks in TX. The disconnected switch does not throw a code.
Bob

/ Pay for work not done?
Update:

I called the New Holland Dealer in Wisconsin who are working on my TN70A (they do a lot of AG tractor work); the switch on the operators seat was disconnected. All they did was reconnect the switch and the power shuttle now works!

The entire event makes me wonder. All they had to do in Texas was reconnect a switch. The folks in Texas never bothered to do this, as they probably had no idea that anything was wrong as they had no idea how a PS is supposed to operate.

The folks in Texas did one other thing. They used duct tape to adjust the clutch. Yes, duct tape. To adjust the clutch on a TN 70A with a power shuttle requires a potentiometer. The folks in Texas just added duct tape until the error codes ended. Imagine how long that repair would have lasted?

I learned to always make sure the dealer actually works on the tractor you have before taking them the tractor to be worked on. Just because it says NH on the sign does not make them qualified to work on all NH products. Seems obvious to me know, but was not so obvious to me a few months ago.

Bob

/ Pay for work not done? #67  
Bob,
How ARE you going to handle that Texas dealer now you have this information? I have to agree with Jimmy above that it's awful hard to pay for parts you didn't need...especially after being mis-diagnosed in the first place.

/ Pay for work not done?
3RRL said:
3RRL said:
How ARE you going to handle that Texas dealer now you have this information? I have to agree with Jimmy above that it's awful hard to pay for parts you didn't need...especially after being mis-diagnosed in the first place.

Good question. My wife says "let sleeping dogs lie". My neighbor says the same thing. I am thinking that unless the folks from Texas call wanting an update, I should just wait until they call and then tell them about what happened.

You are so right. All those parts and all it needed was a little switch reconnected.
Bob