Picking Sweet Corn

/ Picking Sweet Corn #11  
That's what the deer use to say when we had a garden. "Corn is belly high by the 4th of July - yum, yum, yum". The 'coons had a saying also but I don't remember how it went.

Now I get mine at the roadside food stands.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #12  
My Granddad used to say that in Oklahoma, if your corn isn't ready by the 4th of July, chances is the hot winds will take it.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #13  
First corn hit the local markets last week. Something must be wrong - 5 for a dollar. Must be dry and tough. Usually the first corn is 2 for a dollar.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #14  
My neighbor has had awful "bushy" looking corn for several years,,
this is a picture of his "secluded" field,,,

GydzG5J.jpg

He does seem to have a lot of friends visit around November,,, o_O

/ Picking Sweet Corn #15  
These pics were taken in my garden several years ago,,
you could go out to the garden today and take the EXACT same pics,

aLce9KO.jpg

kXUJjex.jpg

I am amazed how exactly the same the garden has been for almost a decade,,
My guess is that the enormous amounts of organic matter that I added a long time ago has stabilized the garden, and the crops do not vary hardly at all year-to-year,,

My soil used to be dark only about 6 to 8 inches down,,
now, you can dig 3 feet deep in most of the garden, and the soil is dark colored.

The earthworms have really worked overtime for the last decade,,, :unsure:

/ Picking Sweet Corn #16  
These pics were taken in my garden several years ago,,
you could go out to the garden today and take the EXACT same pics,

aLce9KO.jpg

kXUJjex.jpg

I am amazed how exactly the same the garden has been for almost a decade,,
My guess is that the enormous amounts of organic matter that I added a long time ago has stabilized the garden, and the crops do not vary hardly at all year-to-year,,

My soil used to be dark only about 6 to 8 inches down,,
now, you can dig 3 feet deep in most of the garden, and the soil is dark colored.

The earthworms have really worked overtime for the last decade,,, :unsure:
I give up. My garden never looks as good as those posted here; but now you're telling me you can even grow corn out of fenceposts!?!?!?! :D

/ Picking Sweet Corn #17  
And, corn out of treated fence posts at that.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #18  
CADplans - I think your neighbor may be purchasing his corn from the profits off his "secluded" field.

I suggest you stay away from those fields.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #19  
Old farmers use to say...corn knee high on the 4th July good year.
We used to say that in the spring as well as the corn was coming up in May/June.

Knee high by the 4th of July.

Truth is, however, if it's only knee high by the 4th of July, it's gonna be a very bad year. 😬

Suff is usually 6'+ by that time around here.

It's about 8' in most fields now, July 26, in northern Indiana.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #20  
I've tried growing sweet corn several times. Usually the day before I'm gonna pick it, the raccoons have a feast. So we just purchase it from a sweet corn stand a couple miles from us. This guy grows quite a bit of it, and we usually have to wait at the stand for him to return with fresh picked corn. People buy it as fast as he can pick it. Pretty good stuff! :p