Picking Sweet Corn

/ Picking Sweet Corn #21  
I give up. My garden never looks as good as those posted here; but now you're telling me you can even grow corn out of fenceposts!?!?!?! :D

My garden has been so good the last few years, I think the fenceposts could grow ears of corn,,
I have shown these pics before, but, what happened is the county had a tub grinder come in and grind up all of the waste from a really bad storm,,
then, the next year, they loaded it for anyone who wanted it,, for free.
I hauled over 100 loads, at 5,000 pounds per load, (that is a half million pounds!!)
The majority went into my garden,,

aWl3oZK.jpg

oJraeHP.jpg

X4naBVW.jpg

Other years, I have hauled dozens of loads of horse manure,,
all of that on a garden that is 40 feet X 100 feet.

I think there is plenty of organic matter in my soil,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

/ Picking Sweet Corn #22  
Took a trip to east central IL over the weekend. Got some sweetcorn from a roadside stand. Best corn i ever had..... or at least that i remember.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #23  
Gettin ready to have some now.

IMG_4199.JPG

/ Picking Sweet Corn #24  
mmmm....leaving tomorrow morning for points north. I'll be in Iowa City on Friday night, y'all better still have some sweet corn!...for my daughter, I swore off carbs :(

/ Picking Sweet Corn #25  
I am mostly off carbs, but, I grow the garden for the extended family,, and I gotta sample a couple ears,,
I had two ears tonight,, WOW!! it is tough stopping at two,,,

/ Picking Sweet Corn #26  
One stalk of corn had 7 ears,, yea, I know only one or 2 are worth eating,, but, the birds will pick them ALL before it is over with,,
The corn plants are 10 feet tall to the top of the tassels,, the highest ear on each stalk is right at 6 feet high.

One bell pepper plant has 12 mature full size peppers, and dozens of flowers. My grandson likes to eat them like apples, but, I may have more than he can eat.

This is our 3rd year growing jade green beans,, I guess we are officially converted from blue lake bush beans, the jades just out-produce the blue lakes by three to one.
I believe 4 people would have a hard time eating all the green beans produced by one bean seed,, that is a pretty good return. I have three 40 foot rows of blue lake beans that will go untouched, because we have the jades. there are probably a couple wheelbarrows of beans in those rows.

Our three apple trees have apples hanging like grapes,, there are several bushels on each tree,, The bears will have a field day when they decide it is "harvest time"
apples.jpg
beans.jpg
corn.jpg
pepper.jpg

/ Picking Sweet Corn #27  
I had some nice cabbage that I had planned on picking in a few days, and a few broccoli sprouts which were going to be tonight's supper. I usually let my turkeys out of their pen for a few hours at night... an hour later I was going down the field with a bucket of compost for their pen and they were right into the cabbage. It's a good thing my nearest neighbors are 1/2 mile away... they might hear me but they couldn't understand what I said. The turkeys got my broccoli, my cabbage, and rolled in my corn, flattening it.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #28  
One stalk of corn had 7 ears,, yea, I know only one or 2 are worth eating,, but, the birds will pick them ALL before it is over with,,
The corn plants are 10 feet tall to the top of the tassels,, the highest ear on each stalk is right at 6 feet high.

One bell pepper plant has 12 mature full size peppers, and dozens of flowers. My grandson likes to eat them like apples, but, I may have more than he can eat.

This is our 3rd year growing jade green beans,, I guess we are officially converted from blue lake bush beans, the jades just out-produce the blue lakes by three to one.
I believe 4 people would have a hard time eating all the green beans produced by one bean seed,, that is a pretty good return. I have three 40 foot rows of blue lake beans that will go untouched, because we have the jades. there are probably a couple wheelbarrows of beans in those rows.

Our three apple trees have apples hanging like grapes,, there are several bushels on each tree,, The bears will have a field day when they decide it is "harvest time"

We have been growing Jade for a couple of years now. Love to pick them young and stir fry in olive oil, salt and pepper.
Let them dry up and save the seed. Jade is not a hybrid.
We also grow Blue lake and Greasy beans.
For old fashion cook them all day flavor the Greasy string type is the best.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #29  
After harvesting this bucket full and working to process it all I've had just about enough of sweet corn for a while. ..though it will be nice to have it to add to stews come winter.
0724211111.jpg