Picking Sweet Corn

/ Picking Sweet Corn #31  
My garden has been so good the last few years, I think the fenceposts could grow ears of corn,,
I have shown these pics before, but, what happened is the county had a tub grinder come in and grind up all of the waste from a really bad storm,,
then, the next year, they loaded it for anyone who wanted it,, for free.
I hauled over 100 loads, at 5,000 pounds per load, (that is a half million pounds!!)
The majority went into my garden,,

aWl3oZK.jpg

oJraeHP.jpg

X4naBVW.jpg

Other years, I have hauled dozens of loads of horse manure,,
all of that on a garden that is 40 feet X 100 feet.

I think there is plenty of organic matter in my soil,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:
With those "dozens of loads of horse manure" you also brought in hundreds of pounds of weed seeds.
I love cow manure (can't find any), and I hate horse manure!

/ Picking Sweet Corn #32  
That's a nice looking bucketload. 👍
That it is - especially since the ears fully developed this year. We're about half-way through processing and have vacuum bagged ~ 5 gallons for freezing so far.

/ Picking Sweet Corn
With those "dozens of loads of horse manure" you also brought in hundreds of pounds of weed seeds.
Boy, ain't that the truth.
I got some free horse manure spread around the trees in my windbreak.
Since then, I have invested more labor and money in 2-4D than I would have, if I would have bought commercial fertilizer.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #34  
Was thinking the same thing. Got a load of it one year, and it was full of weed seeds. Took years to get them down to a reasonable level.
We used to say that in the spring as well as the corn was coming up in May/June.

Knee high by the 4th of July.

Truth is, however, if it's only knee high by the 4th of July, it's gonna be a very bad year. 😬
Must be a New England saying...about right for here. In fact, sometimes not even that high on the 4th, yet we still get corn. Of course, you're a lot further south of us. Typically our corn isn't ready until late August/early Sept.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #35  
What I always found amazing was to take a nice ear of sweet corn and cut all the kernels off onto a plate. You end up with a HUGE pile of corn on your plate from just one ear. You'd never take that much in a serving, yet you can eat two ears on the cob no problem. :)

/ Picking Sweet Corn #36  
The first garden I planted here was small; corn, tomatoes, carrots, and a few other things. On July 4th I went out and cut an opening in a patch of 20 foot tall grey birch which was growing in an old field. Then I put the BH on, dug the stumps, worked the soil with the bucket, mixed in some type of manure (I don't remember what, or where it came from) I had a good crop that year, all things considered. One question I had, and even asked the Extension Service; the corn on the west end did well, but I could see a marked difference in height over the length of the rows. It wasn't until later that I realized the east end was shaded by the trees. 😵

/ Picking Sweet Corn #37  
Have grown a half acre or more successfully for three years this is the worst year due to lack of rain seems like everyone to the north, south, and east gets rain but me. My evergreens are even turning brown.

Attachments

• KIMG0488.JPG
    KIMG0488.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • KIMG0487.JPG
    KIMG0487.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
   / Picking Sweet Corn #38  
Have grown a half acre or more successfully for three years this is the worst year due to lack of rain seems like everyone to the north, south, and east gets rain but me. My evergreens are even turning brown.
Corn does not look good.
The raccoons will be disappointed!

/ Picking Sweet Corn #39  
One question I had, and even asked the Extension Service; the corn on the west end did well, but I could see a marked difference in height over the length of the rows. It wasn't until later that I realized the east end was shaded by the trees. 😵
I've seen that quite a bit, some rows are much taller/healthier looking than others. Must be quite a variance in fertility, definitely not a shade issue in the fields I'm thinking of.

/ Picking Sweet Corn #40  
Corn does not look good.
The raccoons will be disappointed!
I have a secret weapon, not involving firearms or poison lol. Probably doesn't matter this year.