Pickup truck bed liner

/ Pickup truck bed liner #1  

mikester

Elite Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
I'm looking for recommendations for a paint on bed liner. I'm thinking along the lines of 2 coat epoxy that isn't too slippery and sticks well to a metal bed. Something that will take abuse with logs, rocks etc.

/ Pickup truck bed liner #2  
I used a kit made by rust oleum to do the bed on a Daihatsu mini truck, it worked out ok.
The trick is in the prep work, first I pressure washed the bed, second I wiped it all down 3x with xylene using a new rag every time.
Then I applied to the bed with a roller and used a brush for the corners.
I let it dry for a few days and it looked great, but not professional.
As far as rocks and logs dropping on it, I dont know, maybe a plastic truck bed liner would be better for you.

/ Pickup truck bed liner #3  
Pickup beds really weren't meant to have rocks and logs dropped into them. I would be more concerned with the metal than what's covering it.

/ Pickup truck bed liner #4  
I used a kit made by rust oleum to do the bed on a Daihatsu mini truck, it worked out ok.
The trick is in the prep work, first I pressure washed the bed, second I wiped it all down 3x with xylene using a new rag every time.
Then I applied to the bed with a roller and used a brush for the corners.
I let it dry for a few days and it looked great, but not professional.
As far as rocks and logs dropping on it, I dont know, maybe a plastic truck bed liner would be better for you.

I used the same product on the bed of our Kawasaki Mule. It has held up really good over the years to shovels and pitchforks

/ Pickup truck bed liner #5  
I have a Line X spray on bed liner. Installed at the factory. Also have Line X complete body undercoating - also done at the factory. Line X has DIY kits also.

/ Pickup truck bed liner #6  
I have both Line-X (trailer floor) and a drop in bed liner (pick up). I like both, but they are quite different. I agree with @Jstpssng. If you are dumping rocks, that is going to be tough on the sheet metal of the bed no matter what.

That said, I would go for a bed liner. It will take more abuse than a roll on (spray on) liner, even a thick one like Line-X. Things will slide in and out much easier on a bedliner. With Line-X or Rhino liner, things stay put, which is good and bad. Great to keep animals from slipping in a trailer, but tough on your back if it is a pickup bed.

My only $0.02 on liners is to be sure to park with the tailgate end sloping down hill so you don't accumul ate water under the liner.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Pickup truck bed liner #7  
I don't carry loose material- sand, gravel, dirt - in the bed of my pickup. So .. no sore back. But I will sure state that the Line X bed liner is NO SLIP. HE** - I don't even enjoy kneeling on it. It's got sharp knobbies that dig into my knees - something fierce.

/ Pickup truck bed liner #8  
I've done a couple myself. I've used Rustoleum and Herculiner. The Herculiner seems to me much better but both are functional. I now have a factory installed Ford spray on. Puts the others to shame.

Whatever you get, also get a rubber bed mat. Your knees will thank you. Also, if you do dent the bed check carefully for cracks and repair the coating. Otherwise moisture will be trapped under the liner and rust out the bed. I learned that the hard way.

/ Pickup truck bed liner #9  
The texture or coarseness of Line-X can be varied by the installer. Local shop had samples to choose from. Maybe the home kits can too?

/ Pickup truck bed liner #10  
I prefer a rubber mat that's specific to the truck. There not slippery and provide some impact protection and distribution of a point load. More than a paint or spray on "liner". For years we always just dropped in a 4x8 sheet of CDX plywood, your wheel wells are still vulnerable but the only protection for them is the drop in skating rink (bed liner).
I moved 1 rubber mat about every 4 years to the next truck for over 20 years, and these were all full time work trucks.