pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #42  
I feel like I have the perfect truck. 2002 F150 6 cylinder auto, 8 ft. bed, manual windows, manual locks, no carpet. Bought it at 3 years old in 2005 with 15k miles on it and matching topper for $9,200 cash. It got 22-23 mpg highway and I've put 130,000 miles on it.

/ pickup truck size #43  
My '96 Dodge 1 ton 4X4 is the truck I will own for the rest of my life. It's diesel is before all the electronic controlled diesels, and before all the emission controls ... I won't say it is the best truck ever made, but it rates right up there. It is a just a tough old, reliable truck that will last at least 300,000 more miles. (I only have 230,000 miles on it) In 2018 I bought a new Toyota Tacoma because I wanted a small truck. It took a while for it to dawn on me it wasn't so small after all, it was a gas hog, it was just too fancy to use as a real truck. I quickly came to view it as a Yuppie truck. It lasted 6 months before I sent it down the road for someone else to own.

/ pickup truck size #44  
I've had a smaller truck ( Toyota Tundra ), a standard size ( Ford F-150 ) and now a larger one ( Ram 2500 Power Wagon ). I liked them all and each had/has their place & function.

The Power Wagon ( Taco Wagon )'s place is purely FUN. Very little work - a whole lot of play/fun. At 79 I'm reliving my youth.

/ pickup truck size #45  
I've had a smaller truck ( Toyota Tundra ), a standard size ( Ford F-150 ) and now a larger one ( Ram 2500 Power Wagon ). I liked them all and each had/has their place & function.

The Power Wagon ( Taco Wagon )'s place is purely FUN. Very little work - a whole lot of play/fun. At 79 I'm reliving my youth.

Good for you, oosik! Just bought the wife a brand new Toyota 4runner for the same reason. We ain’t gettin’ any younger, so we are starting the splurge on things a bit.

For me, its a 2016 F150 XLT Supercrew with the 302a XTR package and the 5.0 V8, but only a 5.5 bed. Why the Supercrew? For the dog crate! (See the window sticker below - didn't pay anywhere near that much for it. Leased it for 2 years and then bought out the lease for $31k CDN, or about $23,000 US. And I could sell it for more than that today.) I do use it a lot as a truck. But I love the ride! And being able to call and answer the phone with just my voice and using the truck speakers is an amazing feature and much safer!

Attachments

• 2016 F150 Window Sticker.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
   / pickup truck size #46  
I was at NAPA yesterday driving the the old war wagon a 92' GMC 3500 4x4 dually with flatbed and parked next to a new Colorado, it was every bit as big as the old truck if not more, it was definitely higher off the ground. My Tundra sits higher is longer and takes up more room in the garage than the old truck, it also rides and gets better mileage even when towing but I am in the old truck more because the Tundra is to nice to use for work or beater tasks. I suppose it is possible to order one but you seldom see "WORK" trucks being offered by the manufacturers like years ago when they actually advertised work trucks (plain, rubber mats, manual widows, etc.), now it seems all the ads are about the "bells and whistles".

/ pickup truck size #47  
I suppose it is possible to order one but you seldom see "WORK" trucks being offered by the manufacturers like years ago when they actually advertised work trucks (plain, rubber mats, manual widows, etc.), now it seems all the ads are about the "bells and whistles".

The dealers don't make near as much on a "WORK" truck as they do on a maxed out Platinum or King Ranch F150.
I'm going to drive my '06 F150 XLT 4.6l 2wd standard cab, 8 foot box until it falls apart or I die, whichever comes first.

/ pickup truck size #48  
I'm completely happy with my 1993 Chevy Silverado C2500 ext cab 2 door, 6.5 ft box (would prefer 8 ft box), 350 cid V8, has 156,000 kms / 97,000 miles ... bought it 5 yrs ago. I drive it daily, but not insured in winter months.

1623388360856.png

Not a Squarebody, but I'm told that these (OBS old body style) are becoming popular again, more $$$

I chose to (finally) be able to buy NEW, my 2018 Kubota BX23S package. Love having a tractor, so having an almost 30 yr old truck is fine with me.

/ pickup truck size #50  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
Our most liked pickups have been the 1984ish Dodge Rampage and the 1996 Toyota Tacoma. The present 2005 Tacoma that we got back around 2008 has had only about 6-7k miles on it because we DON'T LIKE TO DRIVE IT. We liked the Rampage and earlier Tacoma. Toyota just kept making the T100 and renamed it "Tacoma"

Give me a pickup with radio, AC, heat, power steering and brakes and roll u/down windows and be able to wash the roof without climbing onto something. That was the Rampage and earlier Tacoma.