pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #101  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
I am not sure where you are from, but you are not required to buy a $75000 truck. For some people that is expensive other not so much. I agree that the base price for all vehicles is out of control, and a lot of people need a truck in some capacity but can't do 2 vehicle so they get a luxury pickup. My 3500 ram cost 45000new and was a base truck not many options. One of the problems in the US is the government mandated crap that runs the price up. Multiple airbags level 4 emissions, and a host of other safety crap that does nothing but inflate the price. Smaller bed sizes are a result of not needing a truck to carry things but still the towing from a truck and size limi
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
What you must understand is this is not an easy answer, but to some degree guys get into a dick swinging competition to see who has the best/most expensive truck.thats why luxury trucks exist

/ pickup truck size #102  
Got me. 99% of the trucks I see on the road are hauling nothing but their own bloated chassis and a whole lotta air. And fuel.
I’m not a fan of waste, so I bought a 20yr old V8 powered small/midsize truck, and it sits until I really need it. I barely need it enough to justify even that (and I live on wooded acreage). For most people, the truck is simply a tall car that gives them a good view and has the added bonus of making them feel rough and tough. I spent that money on an airplane, instead.
Username checks out!

/ pickup truck size #103  
I believe there are more than a couple of factors driving the large P/U trend.

1. Visibility - While not a "large" P/U my wife enjoys driving a Honda Ridgeline due to the greater view it affords of her surroundings.

2. Safety - Or the perception of. I have a daughter-in-law that thinks a jacked-up 3/4 ton is the only thing keeping her safe on the road. Especially after her last one ate a Lincoln.

3. Rugged - Appeals to those with testosterone poisoning. It may not be fast, but with my 35" tires and fancy stickers, it'll walk all over the top of your car (maybe).

4. Room - I'm 220 and 5' 11", which is fairly average among those of impending geezerdom. Most of today's cars are either uncomfortable to drive long distances or are difficult to get up and out of (I gave up on the Corvette I'd promised myself due to the entrance and egress issues.)

Yeah, the cost is insane. The new P/U I was considering as a tow vehicle for our 5th wheel came in at around $75K. My son mentioned that buying new something that expensive that wasn't going to see 10K miles a year seemed extreme and I reconsidered. I found an '08 F-450 with 62K miles at a 1/3rd the cost. Sure it's overkill and the mileage sucks, but $50K buys a lot of diesel, and it doesn't have one of those ridiculous center consoles.

/ pickup truck size #104  
Don't have to imagine it .... have seen some new ones, and they're about as much of a land yacht as as some of the old Cadillacs. A coworker tends to flip/collect old cars, and if I recall correctly at one point he parked one of those old Cadillacs (think it was a '75 Fleetwood?) next to a collection of modern pickups

.... not much of a difference in overall foot print, but the trucks (crew cab with 6'4" bed) had much better handling/maneuvering in a tight parking lot than the Caddy.

Of course if a person goes pack far enough then the old pickup trucks wouldn't be considered "pickups" by that sheet of plywood fitting in the bed standard either ..... not sure there was a single 1930's model that'd meet that standard (I know the '35 and '37 Fords didn't - my father had one of each that he never got around to restoring)
I have wondered the same thing. I drive a base model 1997 Ford350 with roll up windows and wind wings. Every truck I have ever owned has power window issues so I’m good with going “old school”. I’m not concerned with gas mileage because when I need to haul something I want the power required to do the job.

All those fancy paint jobs and options are turning trucks into cars. No Thanks. The other day I saw an F150 selling for over $60,000 and thought there was some kind of mistake. It was so fancy no one would ever think of even taking it off the pavement. The funny thing is they are selling fast! It’s a crime against the “pickup we know” and grew up with. Thanks for your post as I thought I was the only one.
Used to have similar view on power windows till kids came into the picture used to enjoy driving when it's -5 and your toddler manages to get the rear window down with there feet lol. Can't beat the ability to lock out the kids windows.

/ pickup truck size #105  
I don't know what everyone else is thinking... I can buy a lot of toys for the price of a big new truck. A number of years back I bought a 68 F100 for $8k. I put at least that much into making it look and run great (mostly body and paint) so for under $20k total it's a truck that everyone admires, I can work on it myself, and I haul with it too. 360 cid 3-speed.

My dad bought a new Colorado several years back and had to special order a no-frills basic model with manual transmission. Nice truck for the price, which I believe is far less than loaded.

/ pickup truck size #106  
Have an 05 Chevy W/T 2 wd, sits low so I don't need an oxygen mask, just what I need a single cab, easy to heat and cool, 8 foot bed, 294 V eight with plenty of go , NO electric windows, locks or other niceties. They only thing I added was cruise. Just had to add the t/s stick to add it. Years ago (in the 70's)when I worked at a farm equipment dealer one of the mechanics drove a Ford with a short bed, unusual for that time, we often called it his :short buck truck" as he was a deer hunter. The manufacturers make those fancy trucks because the are a high profit item. People want all the gizmos in there trucks abd are willing to pay the price. Art the current price this will probably be my last truck.

/ pickup truck size #107  

Big Bubba, I agree. I think that it is the love affair with the truck. Remember when the suburban was a work truck? Now it is the soccer mom vehicle. The SUV has become a 4 wheel drive station wagon! Because no one wants to drive a station wagon.

/ pickup truck size #108  
I miss the jelly bean F150 style (1997 - 2003). Nice size and fairly stout underneath. QC wasn't the best, but not the worst either. I had a 97 and 01 (reg cab short bed, XL V6 trucks) and they were fun trucks to drive, had GREAT visibility and were respectable on fuel mileage. I wish I kept my 01 now.

/ pickup truck size #109  
Big Bubba, I agree. I think that it is the love affair with the truck. Remember when the suburban was a work truck? Now it is the soccer mom vehicle. The SUV has become a 4 wheel drive station wagon! Because no one wants to drive a station wagon.
..or they don't want it to be called a station wagon. Some of the modern SUV's/crossover vehicles look an awful lot like a station wagon that's had a lift kit installed and the body paneling updated to modern styles....... 🤷‍♂️

/ pickup truck size #110  
I have a 2012 twin cab, triton 2.5 diesel pick up auto 4x4, Great unit for towing up to 3000kg Fuel consumption is not good and no where near what the specs say even from brand new, lucky to get 100km to 8lit empty, but it will sit on 100 to 110 kph max free way speed limit loaded all day, with diesel fuel at $1.32 Au, per liter at roughly $3.84 US per gallon, there is no way these big V8 trucks make sense to use as run arounds it would be just as cheap to run a single drive prime mover with sleeper cab lots of bling with a tray fitted to go shopping with and a much bigger pose taking up 2 parking spaces.