pickup truck size

MinnesotaEric

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Dunno if everyone has seen this handy size comparison graphic that Ford put together. Shows it well.

Maverick-Size-Comparison.jpg

The amazing thing is once priced, they all cost about the same. I haven't checked on the newest models, but last I shopped pick-ups, they also all got about the same mpg regardless of size.

I did see the new all-electric pickup that is about Toyota PU truck sized and it base price is 69K and can tow 11K but can only do so for 150 miles. I'm interested when Ford builds the purpose-designed all electric F150, that will come a few years after their new Lightning model, which as i understand it, is the existing conventional F150 converted to all electric. If they can get the range up to 300 mile while towing and make it work for 300 mile in the freezing cold, then they will have my attention—especially so since I put in a 220v 50AMP welding plug next to my back door!

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
It still amazing that the $20k hybrid was getting 44 mpg in that video.

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
The amazing thing is once priced, they all cost about the same. I haven't checked on the newest models, but last I shopped pick-ups, they also all got about the same mpg regardless of size.
Isn't the maverick considerably less expensive?

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Isn't the maverick considerably less expensive?

It depends on what you get. Base price is about 20k, but if you want an all gas engine with 4wd the price goes up accordingly.
Just like the base price of a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup is around 37k (or was last year when I was truck shopping), but some people "need" all sorts of fancy crap which adds to the price yet doesn't make the vehicle go one foot farther before wearing out.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Go to Ford and build one to see for yourself. I pretty heavily optioned a Maverick Lariat for under $34,000. My 2018 F-150 XLT sticker was just over $44k and not nearly as nicely optioned. I don't have memory seats, sunroof, automatic HVAC, Sync, adaptive cruise control, or navigation.

ruffdog

Tractor
Regardless what a person's needs are, it is nice that there are options across the truck spectrum now.

MinnesotaEric

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Go to Ford and build one to see for yourself. I pretty heavily optioned a Maverick Lariat for under $34,000. My 2018 F-150 XLT sticker was just over $44k and not nearly as nicely optioned. I don't have memory seats, sunroof, automatic HVAC, Sync, adaptive cruise control, or navigation.

My build-to-order 2011 F150 stickered north of $51K in the day before I added more aftermarket stuff. I would have liked a Platinum trim, but not with the painted bumpers that dissolve in the salt belt, or the 20" wheels that just ride poorly on frost-heaved roads. As a result, I basically made a Platinum out of a Lariat. Ten years on and I intend to continue to drive it into the ground as I just replaced the timing chain, phasers, guides, cam solenoids, all four Oxy sensors, and since the rear differential was in process of shelling, I swapped in a new Eaton TrueTrack differential carrier this summer. Considering how much ice we have the TruTrack may turn into a mistake, but at least I'll never need to change the differential oil unless servicing the axle seals or bearings. Sadly, the outer tin on the cab corners is rusting as is the lower parts of the bed. When that gets bad, I intend to bolt a flatbed on.

And all of this because the new trucks don't really offer any new features or anything I find compelling to jump on a new truck.

However, if somebody can make a reliable towing-capable EV truck, that can function well enough in our winters, I'd take a look at purchasing one.

Last edited:

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
I'm currently driving a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie I picked it up this spring when I traded in my 2015 with 98,000 miles as it was going out of the extended warranty. One reason for me to get another RAM was the availability of the extended warranty that works at any RAM dealer, I opted for the 8 year 125,000 mile one this time. Unfortunately the 8 years is a bit of fancy footwork in the naming as it's 8 years from when the vehicle was first sold but I am covered till Feb of 2027.
I never used to worry about this as I did all of my own work on my vehicles but it is getting more difficult to do as I get up in years,
heck a 4 corner brake job used to be an easy afternoon, now it takes me the afternoon to one axle. Not being physically able to do the work is quite aggravating to me. I'd much rather do it myself then take it to some parts changer, heck I still get upset with the service manager when I tell them whats wrong and what it needs and he starts his spiel that they will have to put it on the computer and see whats wrong before anything else.
The last three little things my RAM's have been in for I told them the issues and what it was and they wouldn't even order the parts till it was in the shop and then having to wait for the parts.

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
I'm currently driving a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie I picked it up this spring when I traded in my 2015 with 98,000 miles as it was going out of the extended warranty. One reason for me to get another RAM was the availability of the extended warranty that works at any RAM dealer, I opted for the 8 year 125,000 mile one this time. Unfortunately the 8 years is a bit of fancy footwork in the naming as it's 8 years from when the vehicle was first sold but I am covered till Feb of 2027.
I never used to worry about this as I did all of my own work on my vehicles but it is getting more difficult to do as I get up in years,
heck a 4 corner brake job used to be an easy afternoon, now it takes me the afternoon to one axle. Not being physically able to do the work is quite aggravating to me. I'd much rather do it myself then take it to some parts changer, heck I still get upset with the service manager when I tell them whats wrong and what it needs and he starts his spiel that they will have to put it on the computer and see whats wrong before anything else.
The last three little things my RAM's have been in for I told them the issues and what it was and they wouldn't even order the parts till it was in the shop and then having to wait for the parts.

Yeah but in all fairness to the service managers, for every owner like you that knows what he's talking about I guarantee there's 99 customers that don't know diddly.

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
My build-to-order 2011 F150 stickered north of $51K in the day......... since the rear differential was in process of shelling, I swapped in a new Eaton TrueTrack differential carrier this summer.
Just curious/nosey ME... how many miles did you have on the OE diff ?

Did you do a lot of heavy towing/hauling ?

Rgds, D.

rosey

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Miss my ‘81 F150 single cab 2 wheel drive, 300 ci 6, Longbed; vinyl bench seat, crank windows, blk. vinyl floor, that I bought used in ‘85 for $2500 bucks & had for almost 18 years. That was one tough,no frills work truck !!! Ended up selling it for $1000 bucks.

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Miss my ‘81 F150 single cab 2 wheel drive, 300 ci 6, Longbed; vinyl bench seat, crank windows, blk. vinyl floor, that I bought used in ‘85 for $2500 bucks & had for almost 18 years. That was one tough,no frills work truck !!! Ended up selling it for $1000 bucks.
What a ripoff ! ;)

Even allowing for time-value-of-money, I don't think I could buy a hamburger/week today for your In/Out $ on that truck....

Drove a slightly earlier version of that truck on my friend's farm, 3inTree. Tough truck, that was beat on just about every day. That engine is still today, one of my favourite work-truck engines.

Rgds, D.

ruffdog

Tractor
We don't remember the gadgets, frills, and do-dads but we do remember and miss trucks that offered great dependability and easy-to-use simplicity.

Last edited:

Cat385B

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1723e
I went from a ‘84 reg cab long box to a ‘94 reg long to a ‘04 crew cab short. (6.5’) Ordered my next truck in May, expected delivery in 2023. The next one will be smaller, ext cab 6’ box. The amount of times I need the load capacity or the larger bed size is limited, it would be cheaper to run a smaller truck and use my trailer when needed.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
The truck I miss the most is the second truck I owned, a 1966 Chevrolet 3/4 ton with a 292 ci and 4 speed with granny gear and 4:10 rear. It wasn't fast but it was STOUT, I have regretted selling it everyday since.

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.

..Drove a slightly earlier version of that truck on my friend's farm, 3inTree. Tough truck, that was beat on just about every day. That engine is still today, one of my favourite work-truck engines.

Rgds, D.

I was going to post, GM made a similar engine in durability and fuel efficiency that few knew/know of, but John0829 already did. Many people aren't as familiar with GM's version because it was shadowed by the GM350 which had the most popularity by far.
The truck I miss the most is the second truck I owned, a 1966 Chevrolet 3/4 ton with a 292 ci and 4 speed with granny gear and 4:10 rear. It wasn't fast but it was STOUT, I have regretted selling it everyday since.

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
I was going to post, GM made a similar engine in durability and fuel efficiency that few knew/know of, but John0829 already did. Many people aren't as familiar with GM's version because it was shadowed by the GM350 which had the most popularity by far.
In 1979 my brother bought a new F150 base truck, i.e. 300 cu in in line 6 with manual transmission for use on the farm and pulling a cattle trailer. It was cheap but within a year it had lots of issues so my brother traded it for a slightly used 1980 Chevy 1500 with the inline 6 and an automatic transmission at that proved to be very durable. I think he only put about 88,000 on it in the approximately 10 years he had it but they were hard miles - a lot of pasture driving, short trips, pulling tractors and semi-trucks to start them (we had some of those hard starting 30 series JDs). If it did leave the farm for more than to run to town to get parts it was probably pulling a 35 ft trailer loaded with cattle.

The point is that even though they seemed like almost the same truck the way they were equipped, they were totally different in capabilities and durability.

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
We had a 87(?) f-150 with the fuel body injected 302 V8. It had 2 fuel tanks because, well, you need them since mileage was so bad. I swear you can see the fuel gauge going down. So little power, I thought we couldn't get up the hills we have here. Not at all comfortable to drive and sit on its bench seat that we wouldn't drive it to the nearest city 100 miles away. It was 2 wheel drive so we only used it in the summer but when they forecasted snow, it would start to spin when it heard that.

Glad to see it gone. You couldn't pull our 2019 ranger from our cold, stiff fingers with its 260+hp. Oh and it gets twice the fuel mileage... :unsure:

Last edited:

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
I had a '79 that I bought used for only a little more used in '82, pretty much the same truck as yours except mine had the 302/3 in the tree. Decent enough truck though it was geared a little higher than I'd like. Sold it for $1500 in '98, other than some rust in the bed still in good shape.

Not something I drove everyday, and it tended to be hard to start if it sat for more than a week or two.

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Trucks and cars, that's one thing I miss today.... inline 6's. If all you looked at was peak HP, they might not catch your eye..... if you wanted a long-running work engine (y) .

Chev Stove-bolt 6. My Dad had several, and I still have one.

Rgds, D.

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
In 1979 my brother bought a new F150 base truck, i.e. 300 cu in in line 6 with manual transmission for use on the farm and pulling a cattle trailer. It was cheap but within a year it had lots of issues so my brother traded it for a slightly used 1980 Chevy 1500 with the inline 6 and an automatic transmission at that proved to be very durable. I think he only put about 88,000 on it in the approximately 10 years he had it but they were hard miles - a lot of pasture driving, short trips, pulling tractors and semi-trucks to start them (we had some of those hard starting 30 series JDs). If it did leave the farm for more than to run to town to get parts it was probably pulling a 35 ft trailer loaded with cattle.

The point is that even though they seemed like almost the same truck the way they were equipped, they were totally different in capabilities and durability.
Well that is one of the few Ford 300's that had problems. Several Farmers around us including my uncle had them but in 3/4 tons pulling hay wagons and gooseneck stock trailers. I believe my Uncle's was a 79 or 80. It didn't pull heavy wagons or stock trailers quiet as fast or as well as the GM 350's did but it wasn't out ran that much. His upside was when empty he said he was getting 17-18mpg while the 350's only got 12-14. We eventually got a 83 Chevy 3/4, 350, manual and 3.73 gears, It was a stout pulling truck but Dad hated the 13mpg empty or trailering even though I told him that wasn't bad since we lived on a very hilly gravel road and it rarely was on the highway more than 10 miles and we were using it to pull and haul way more than we ever could with the 305/350V8 1/2 tons he was used to. Oh well, what does a teenager know. :)

Hoodoo

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610
I just bought down to a 2003 Chevy 2500HD model from a newer 1500. Wanted the extra power and towing. It only has 130k miles and the previous owner had babied it (mostly). I've added larger tires and getting a 2" front lift this week. Gets 14 mpg. Nothing like a truck.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
The culture shock between my previous and current trucks was substantial. I went from a '74 Dodge W-200 with a big block 440, 3 spd auto and 4.10 gears to a '12 Ford F-250 (bought new in '12) 6.2 gas, 3.73 gears. I still think the Ford rides like a Lincoln town car compared to my old Dodge. I miss the old Dodge sometimes, but not at the gas station.

My next truck will be a gas engine dually. Either an F-350 or an F-450 if Ford ever pulls their thumb out and offer it with the new 7.3L gas engine. So far the only way to get the 7.3 gas in the F-450 is if you buy the chassis cab, and I want a full truck bed. 4.30 gears in which ever one I get. May start seriously looking again once production is normal and vehicles are actually available to buy. No "Lariat" or "Platnum" for me thanks. Absolute waste of money. I don't need all the leather-electric toy-hoohaws on my truck.

When I bought my Ford in '12, it was the XLT package, which really had all the hoohaws I wanted. Same month I bought mine, a coworker bought a Lariat diesel. He paid DOUBLE for his truck than I did for mine. I just laughed at him. Mine was $34K, he paid over $70K. For a truck?! Just pure idiocy. Whatever makes him happy I guess. My payload sticker is higher, since my gas engine is lighter, I think I had right at 1K lbs more payload. I've since moved on and lost touch with him, but he had to have it towed off the side of the road at least twice for diesel emissions problems. Last time was with a loaded stock trailer on back.

I'll stay with the gas engines, thank you.

Cat385B

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1723e
Slim, check around for any flatbed dealers in your area. I live 50 miles from one, and I’m sure I could drive over there and buy a brand new box off a GM, Ford, or Ram; as long as I want white.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
I just bought down to a 2003 Chevy 2500HD model from a newer 1500. Wanted the extra power and towing. It only has 130k miles and the previous owner had babied it (mostly). I've added larger tires and getting a 2" front lift this week. Gets 14 mpg. Nothing like a truck.

That is what I did last year, got a 92' K3500, 7.4L, 3.73 gear to use as work vehicle around the place. It was a barn find that had been parked by a couple that had used it to haul their camper to and from Florida each year. Only had 150k on it when I got it but sitting was not kind to it, had several electrical issues to sort out but it's all good now. Getting 12 mpg, was pleasantly surprised since I was expecting 10 or less. I like the old simpler to work on vehicles.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
Slim, check around for any flatbed dealers in your area. I live 50 miles from one, and I’m sure I could drive over there and buy a brand new box off a GM, Ford, or Ram; as long as I want white.
Unless it's changed on the latest generation Super Duty, the chassis cab trucks had a different frame dimension than the regular truck bed trucks. So a standard (in this case dually) truck bed would not fit on a chassis cab frame. I haven't looked into it to see if this is still the case.

MinnesotaEric

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Just curious/nosey ME... how many miles did you have on the OE diff ?

Did you do a lot of heavy towing/hauling ?

Rgds, D.
About 110K when it first began happening. I do tow, but the diff more than likely failed from running around in snow and gravel roads.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Unless it's changed on the latest generation Super Duty, the chassis cab trucks had a different frame dimension than the regular truck bed trucks. So a standard (in this case dually) truck bed would not fit on a chassis cab frame. I haven't looked into it to see if this is still the case.

Yep, frame on the dually's is wider than the chassis cab, at least for GM's. Ran into that issue when I put a flatbed on the K3500.

TMGT

Elite Member
Tractor
B2620
Should be, all CC have the narrower 34" frame standard for upfitters. Standard pickups are usually about 37+ and sometimes have more "style" to them rather then being straight.

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
About 110K when it first began happening. I do tow, but the diff more than likely failed from running around in snow and gravel roads.
Thnx. I was curious.

R. diffs in Ford's smaller stuff seem rather delicate, but I expect better from an F150..... then again, I have a friend who could break an anvil, so wanted to know the usage pattern on yours.

Rgds, D.

MinnesotaEric

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Thnx. I was curious.

R. diffs in Ford's smaller stuff seem rather delicate, but I expect better from an F150..... then again, I have a friend who could break an anvil, so wanted to know the usage pattern on yours.

Rgds, D.

Understand that driveline noises and shutters are notoriously hard to diagnose without isolating driveline components. That said, what happened is the clutches in the limited slip took a dump. However, just as this truck was about to come out of warranty, the front lock outs got replaced under warranty. The driveline shutter felt like it was coming from the front end and so I brought it back to the dealer that replaced the lockouts. That dealer insisted I needed a transfer case—even though all functions of the transfer case worked. I asked them if they had dropped the front driveshaft to isolate the the front end, and they claimed that they had.

However, I've NEVER heard of an F150 shelling its transfer case even with the high power, high torque ecoboost engines and I confirmed that by calling up the biggest 4WD rebuilder in the state (BeeLine). But because the dealer claimed that they had dropped the front driveshaft, and without a hoist to lift up my truck and play with it myself, the rear end went undiagnosed until it got so noisy and chattery that it was obvious the differential carrier clutch packs had taken a siesta. At that point I ordered in a Eaton (Detroit) TruTrack, new carrier bearings, shims, and new ring gear bolts and swapped out the differential carrier. The Ford dealer has subsequently gone out of business.

Off topic: anybody want to start a pool on how long Youtube will ban streaming this video because I named it "Race Driver A YouTube Short" over the perception that it is somehow related to promoting r-a-c-i-s-m and not making a bearing race driver to install a bearing?

Last edited:

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
ME - You sir, are a BearingIst !!!!

Nicely done on the TruTrack. Too bad about the stealership. I appreciate getting the extra 411 you just typed.

Rgds, D.