pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #191  
Agree. My ‘90 F-350 7.3L has 190hp and a ZF-5 and rode like crap. 0-60 in a week. 9000 GVWR
I much prefer the newer trucks, especially as the aches and pains of working most of my life outside in farming and construction.

/ pickup truck size #192  
To my knowledge, Ford makes a grand total of one (1) car these days. The Mustang. I heard they're stopping production of the Fusion. I think Chrysler makes the same number -- 1. Don't know about generic motors.

Everything else is either an SUV, a CUV or a pickup.

Until this year (or last) Ram offered a shick stiff in its pickups. They just dropped it because, well, it didn't sell enough to justify the assembly line time.

On the Diesels, they had to seriously de-rate the engines because the Stick just won't hold up to that kind of power. Oh, I'm sure there are some manual trans that will but who wants to pay 5 grand for a stick and then have to fight it like a wild hog every time you drive it?

Besides, an automatic does almost everything better than a stick. The only thing I can think of that a stick might do better is 'walk' on its own in a field. I used to put my old Ford in Granny Low and just let it idle through the bumps, ruts, mud and muck. It walk out of a almost anything. Somtimes it would stall out but not often. 300, 6 cylinder.

An automatic transmission is superior in almost every way to a standard transmission. A bone stock Mustang GT, I'm talking BONE stock, no tires, no gears,, no nothing, will run in the 11's right off the showroom floor. Guys, that's a $35k car, not a 6-figure exotic. That's moving right along. Especially when you consider that a Hemi 'Cuda couldn't do that in stock form.

As to basic trucks? There's plenty of them. All three majors make them. And they're cheaper than dirt, too. Or would be if things weren't all stupid because of -- Whatever.

I LOVE the new trucks. I spent too much time riding in kidney-rattling old, nasty, leaf spring pickups that if you ran over a quarter on the road, you felt it.

If they had a manual to survive the full power diesel they might have sold some. Who would buy a derated motor just to get a manual transmission?

/ pickup truck size #193  
Years ago on other forums, I always used to suggest the Spicer 7-speed “easy shift” transmission. It’s a perfect diesel pickup transmission. I used to have one in my IH4800. It’s much easier to shift than the ZF and the NV. It looks similar in size. Has a granny 1st and a 7th OD. It was capable of standing up to a DT-466 in high torque applications and was rated in high GCWR applications
Would have been great in a Ram behind a Cummins

/ pickup truck size #194  
Years ago on other forums, I always used to suggest the Spicer 7-speed “easy shift” transmission. It’s a perfect diesel pickup transmission. I used to have one in my IH4800. It’s much easier to shift than the ZF and the NV. It looks similar in size. Has a granny 1st and a 7th OD. It was capable of standing up to a DT-466 in high torque applications and was rated in high GCWR applications
Would have been great in a Ram behind a Cummins
Is it a 4WD transmission?

/ pickup truck size #195  
Is it a 4WD transmission?
Dont know. My 4800 was 4WD, but had a divorced transfer case. I don’t know if there is an option for mated transfer case.
would be great for diesel car & equipment haulers.

Since then, like you I have become sold on today’s automatics. With computer control “torque management” and greatly improved solenoids, these new Aisin, Allison and Torqshift transmissions are excellent. There’s really little need for a manual much anymore

/ pickup truck size #196  
Dont know. My 4800 was 4WD, but had a divorced transfer case. I don’t know if there is an option for mated transfer case.
would be great for diesel car & equipment haulers.

Since then, like you I have become sold on today’s automatics. With computer control “torque management” and greatly improved solenoids, these new Aisin, Allison and Torqshift transmissions are excellent. There’s really little need for a manual much anymore
My torque management went out the window with my tune. You don't miss it until it's not there.

/ pickup truck size #197  
I commented earlier about how I love my 2018 Duramax LTZ for all of the functions, along with features, that it provides.

Mostly what I am reading here sounds like folks who are living in the past. Of course my Dad's old '79 Chevy single cab, 8' bed truck with rubber floors and vinyl seats that I grew up driving was 10x easier to work on, and was impressive to have an aftermarket cassette player and speakers. But would I want it over my modern LTZ? NO WAY!! My truck will outperform his old 79 in every way possible other than an 8' sheet of plywood in the bed, but that's why I have a trailer, which wasn't anyway near as popular back then either but is 10x more useful than a truck bed now.

It's no different than my car. I have an '83 Pontiac Firebird. I've done some work to it and in its prime was one of the nicest cars in the area, but it's prime is well in the past now. I have a choice between fixing it up again with all kinds of performance mods, fresh paint, etc, or buying a new Camaro. If my old Firebird was any kind of collectible classic car it might be worth it but it's not. So I have my mind set on a new Camaro SS that is 10x better in every way, including all of the comforts of my " lux truck", while still being a very fun and cool modern muscle car.

I love the classics but I'm 100% OK with moving on to bigger and badder things whether with the trucks or cars.

/ pickup truck size #199  
Too true, but not all of us fat, lazy Americans want luxury pickups, but we are all paying the price because of those that do.
I suspect that many people have a luxury pickup because they also have a camper and want to be able to take the whole family on trips in comfort. A new pickup is a whole lot cheaper than a new Suburban (or likely similar for Expedition) of the same trim class and towing capacity and in many cases is the only way to get that much towing capacity.

The size is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe the number of F450 pickups I see on the road. There can’t be that many people that actually need a pickup that big.
I’m also blown away by the so-called “small” trucks out there. Toyota Tacoma and Ford ranger are as big as full size trucks from the 80s and earlier.
There is a place for an actual small truck, say 80s Toyota size that can actually haul something.
Again, the problem is those small trucks work against your corporate average fuel economy whereas the larger trucks are exempt, that's one reason why manufacturers like them so much, they don't have to sell as many "high mpg" cars at a loss to subsidize their other vehicles (in the CAFE department).

Maybe I am to old but what happened to the traditional pick up? ( standard cab,8ft bed,v8- manual tranny,no carpet or a/c?) Can't get one no more. Fine if they want to sell the loaded ones but the basic one should still be available for those who want one. Or what about one that wants a sport truck. Those would like a v8, stick shift,short bed,standard cab with a low geared rear end. Again Not available.
The problem is that adding a AC delete for example requires a completely different plenum for the HVAC and thus another option on the assembly line which costs money in training, inventory, etc.
Having models out there that don't have AC also lowers their resale value and lowering the resale value makes new trucks look less attractive, so they want the resale value to stay high.

The problem with the stick shift is that you have to build the entire drivetrain to be capable of taking the full engine torque at low gear whereas with an automatic you can torque limit the engine in low gear and get away with it.

I believe many of the manufacturers still have rubber floors available it's just usually something that is special order/fleet only because most people don't order it unless they're ordering for a fleet.

As for a standard cab, short box pick up, you can get that in a F-150 but it looks like it is not available for the larger trucks at least not from Ford, that is likely because of the uncommoness of such a truck and needing a completely different frame versus the other ones where you can (for example) use the same frame for a extended cab short box and a regular cab long box.
It all comes down to balancing between the most efficient way to use their assembly lines and satisfying the largest number of people.

Aaron Z

/ pickup truck size #200  
Ha! I knew it had to be either a 4Runner or a Pilot. Tough choice, but the wife went with the 4Runner because she like the angles look a lot better than the newer Hondas, which they made into jellybeans!
4 runners still have body on frame, pilots are unibody and a lot less ground clearance, ride a little better imo, Personally Im a fan of Toyotas owned one old pickup before tacoma, two tacos one had a factory frame replacement , one fJ and two 4runnrrs in my lifetime. Never any major problems with any. The 4.0 is a good motor in terms of reliability.