pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #401  
It still amazing that the $20k hybrid was getting 44 mpg in that video.

/ pickup truck size #402  
The amazing thing is once priced, they all cost about the same. I haven't checked on the newest models, but last I shopped pick-ups, they also all got about the same mpg regardless of size.
Isn't the maverick considerably less expensive?

/ pickup truck size #403  
Isn't the maverick considerably less expensive?

It depends on what you get. Base price is about 20k, but if you want an all gas engine with 4wd the price goes up accordingly.
Just like the base price of a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup is around 37k (or was last year when I was truck shopping), but some people "need" all sorts of fancy crap which adds to the price yet doesn't make the vehicle go one foot farther before wearing out.

/ pickup truck size #404  
The amazing thing is once priced, they all cost about the same. I haven't checked on the newest models, but last I shopped pick-ups, they also all got about the same mpg regardless of size.
Go to Ford and build one to see for yourself. I pretty heavily optioned a Maverick Lariat for under $34,000. My 2018 F-150 XLT sticker was just over $44k and not nearly as nicely optioned. I don't have memory seats, sunroof, automatic HVAC, Sync, adaptive cruise control, or navigation.

/ pickup truck size #405  
Regardless what a person's needs are, it is nice that there are options across the truck spectrum now.

/ pickup truck size #406  
Go to Ford and build one to see for yourself. I pretty heavily optioned a Maverick Lariat for under $34,000. My 2018 F-150 XLT sticker was just over $44k and not nearly as nicely optioned. I don't have memory seats, sunroof, automatic HVAC, Sync, adaptive cruise control, or navigation.

My build-to-order 2011 F150 stickered north of $51K in the day before I added more aftermarket stuff. I would have liked a Platinum trim, but not with the painted bumpers that dissolve in the salt belt, or the 20" wheels that just ride poorly on frost-heaved roads. As a result, I basically made a Platinum out of a Lariat. Ten years on and I intend to continue to drive it into the ground as I just replaced the timing chain, phasers, guides, cam solenoids, all four Oxy sensors, and since the rear differential was in process of shelling, I swapped in a new Eaton TrueTrack differential carrier this summer. Considering how much ice we have the TruTrack may turn into a mistake, but at least I'll never need to change the differential oil unless servicing the axle seals or bearings. Sadly, the outer tin on the cab corners is rusting as is the lower parts of the bed. When that gets bad, I intend to bolt a flatbed on.

And all of this because the new trucks don't really offer any new features or anything I find compelling to jump on a new truck.

However, if somebody can make a reliable towing-capable EV truck, that can function well enough in our winters, I'd take a look at purchasing one.

Last edited:
   / pickup truck size #407  
I'm currently driving a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie I picked it up this spring when I traded in my 2015 with 98,000 miles as it was going out of the extended warranty. One reason for me to get another RAM was the availability of the extended warranty that works at any RAM dealer, I opted for the 8 year 125,000 mile one this time. Unfortunately the 8 years is a bit of fancy footwork in the naming as it's 8 years from when the vehicle was first sold but I am covered till Feb of 2027.
I never used to worry about this as I did all of my own work on my vehicles but it is getting more difficult to do as I get up in years,
heck a 4 corner brake job used to be an easy afternoon, now it takes me the afternoon to one axle. Not being physically able to do the work is quite aggravating to me. I'd much rather do it myself then take it to some parts changer, heck I still get upset with the service manager when I tell them whats wrong and what it needs and he starts his spiel that they will have to put it on the computer and see whats wrong before anything else.
The last three little things my RAM's have been in for I told them the issues and what it was and they wouldn't even order the parts till it was in the shop and then having to wait for the parts.

/ pickup truck size #408  
I'm currently driving a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie I picked it up this spring when I traded in my 2015 with 98,000 miles as it was going out of the extended warranty. One reason for me to get another RAM was the availability of the extended warranty that works at any RAM dealer, I opted for the 8 year 125,000 mile one this time. Unfortunately the 8 years is a bit of fancy footwork in the naming as it's 8 years from when the vehicle was first sold but I am covered till Feb of 2027.
I never used to worry about this as I did all of my own work on my vehicles but it is getting more difficult to do as I get up in years,
heck a 4 corner brake job used to be an easy afternoon, now it takes me the afternoon to one axle. Not being physically able to do the work is quite aggravating to me. I'd much rather do it myself then take it to some parts changer, heck I still get upset with the service manager when I tell them whats wrong and what it needs and he starts his spiel that they will have to put it on the computer and see whats wrong before anything else.
The last three little things my RAM's have been in for I told them the issues and what it was and they wouldn't even order the parts till it was in the shop and then having to wait for the parts.

Yeah but in all fairness to the service managers, for every owner like you that knows what he's talking about I guarantee there's 99 customers that don't know diddly.

/ pickup truck size #409  
My build-to-order 2011 F150 stickered north of $51K in the day......... since the rear differential was in process of shelling, I swapped in a new Eaton TrueTrack differential carrier this summer.
Just curious/nosey ME... how many miles did you have on the OE diff ?

Did you do a lot of heavy towing/hauling ?

Rgds, D.

/ pickup truck size #410  
Miss my ‘81 F150 single cab 2 wheel drive, 300 ci 6, Longbed; vinyl bench seat, crank windows, blk. vinyl floor, that I bought used in ‘85 for $2500 bucks & had for almost 18 years. That was one tough,no frills work truck !!! Ended up selling it for $1000 bucks.