Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #81  
Nice:thumbsup: Following your progress intensely and liking it better all the time. I think I'll pull a Pete sometimes in not so distant future.:):thumbsup:

JC,

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #82  
I knew that clean metal and fresh paint would carry you off,,,,,,, its looking great, the new tires make quite the difference, i used a 1720 for a summer and it was a real handy size. keep the pics coming,looking fwd to the hood and decals .....

From CT

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #83  
Flip those front tires around for better stability

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #84  
Well, Peter, you know me. It is certainly not going to be a show tractor with the exhaust leaning forward, but it is coming along very nicely. Where is that ROPS?
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions
I got most of the dings out of the hood and getting ready to sand blast it and paint it. Other than that, I have not had time to do much work on it. However, this afternoon, after logging all day on mom's new property, I decided to hook up my Woods RM990 mower to the 1700 to see how it would handle it.

I was very impressed! The hitch lifted it right up with no sweat at all. Now the front wheels did come of the ground, so I need to look around for some more front weights. I had just 2 laying around. Adding another 4 will probably keep the front end down, at least on level land. Going up inclines, I'll probably have to go backwards, like I did today.

A few pics of the 1700 in action.

f1700rm990-1.jpg

f1700rm990-2.jpg

f1700rm990-3.jpg

f1700rm990-4.jpg

I was able to cut at about 6 mph, which I found quite impressive for a 24hp PTO tractor and a 90" wide mower!

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #86  
Glad its working well. It looks great! Good job.

Thanks!

Yes, it is coming together nicely. I did notice that it is very load when running at 540 rpm speed under load. I don't know if it is the cheap tsc exhaust I picked up, or just the nature of the beast? The crooked pipe is getting to me, so I might just order the whole OEM exhaust unit and point it forward. Not sure if it will be quieter or now, but hopefully some. With my JD 4700 open station, it was not nearly as loud when moving at 540 rpm engine speed. Of course starting to wear hearing protection would be the least expensive option. :D

Just for grins, here's the same mover behind the 5085M from last spring.

5085ingrass-1.jpg

5085ingrass-4.jpg

No issues with the front wheels popping off the ground, even with no weights. :D

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #88  
I got most of the dings out of the hood and getting ready to sand blast it and paint it. Other than that, I have not had time to do much work on it. However, this afternoon, after logging all day on mom's new property, I decided to hook up my Woods RM990 mower to the 1700 to see how it would handle it.

I was very impressed! The hitch lifted it right up with no sweat at all. Now the front wheels did come of the ground, so I need to look around for some more front weights. I had just 2 laying around. Adding another 4 will probably keep the front end down, at least on level land. Going up inclines, I'll probably have to go backwards, like I did today.

A few pics of the 1700 in action.
I was able to cut at about 6 mph, which I found quite impressive for a 24hp PTO tractor and a 90" wide mower!

Peter,
I have a RM990 just like that that I bought new back in the 1980's and have put literally thousands of hours on it mowing pastures and hay fields for the rest of the summer, after I make spring hay.
It's a great machine. Finally had to replace 1 spindle and the belt last year. Have worn out a number of blade sets. I work it hard sometimes... see attached.

My question is, why do you need to lift the unit off the ground in normal use, making your tractor come off the ground?
With the mower on the ground you should adjust slack in your top link so the wheels stay on the ground in depressions.
The only times I lift mine are when taking it on or off and when backing up the bottom edge of my pond dam.
Ron

Ron, I only lift it when transporting it from the barn down into the field. The road it in pretty bad shape in places and rutted out, so those caster wheels would tend to get caught in them, or worse, a spindle might get high centered.

I do have my top link adjusted to have plenty of slack in that floating top link to, as you say, ensure that all 4 wheels follow the contour of the ground. As you know, those lower links also have float in them, so it is very rare that the tractor will ever prevent the full movement needed by the mower deck.

I purchased my RM990 used about 10 years ago, and have put maybe 500 hours on it. I had a tension pulley seize up on me, but that is about it. The blade are so easy to take off for sharpening. I'm on my 3rd set since I purchased it I think.

Once in the field, I leave it down all the time, except lift it a little when backing up and mowing to the edge of the river. I got quite a drop, so I don't drive along the edge as it might give way, and the whole tractor would fall down about 10ft!

rivererosion.jpg

I need to figure out what to do about that erosion along the river's edge...

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #90  
Once in the field, I leave it down all the time, except lift it a little when backing up and mowing to the edge of the river. I got quite a drop, so I don't drive along the edge as it might give way, and the whole tractor would fall down about 10ft!

rivererosion.jpg

Yep, that would be known as John's bluff from back in the day! I personally don't think it is financially feasible to prevent the erosion because it is hard to fight mother nature (or any other mother as far as that is concerned). Perhaps somebody here has some ideas that could help. Look at it on the bright side, there are many other farmers on this forum that would LOVE to have a waterway like that on their property.
-Stu