Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,611  
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #4,612  
Finally starting to get some snow around here. I spent about an hour this morning making piles before heading to work. IMG_20181227_195929223.jpeg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,613  
Today’s blizzard & a hack for unclogging a snow blower.
The harbour in front of our homestead is ice free at the moment but I won’t be out canoeing today. An afternoon blizzard with 20cm (8 inches) of white gold falling before changing to rain is forecasted. The roads will not be safe so I will deploy my tractor on snow removal duty early tomorrow morning. I will do the first three hours before heading to my part time office job. I will hand over the tractor to Mike who will finish up the snow removal duties.

My hack for unclogging the snow blower chute.
The wet snow is hard to push and can clog the snow blower chute. My hack for unclogging the snow blower is use a short handle wood stove shovel (ash shovel) to remove the snow from the chute. It is important that the handle be short (12 inches or so). The longer handle ones don’t go into the blower chute as easy and don’t fit behind the seat of the tractor.

I also use this shovel at the end of the snow blowing day to clean the snow from the agar. If I don’t clean out the blower at the end of the day it will freeze then becomes a real pain.

I will be sure to have this little shovel tucked behind the seat of the tractor before the storm hits.

Today’s blizzard & a Hack for Unclogging a Snow Blower. – From Riches to Rags Homestead & Outdoor Adventures

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,614  
Is a "hack" like a "trick" or "method" ? A new word for me.. but use such a shovel to clean the ashes out of my indoor wood boiler.. almost daily.
Any pics of your snow blower in action that you can post here?

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,615  
I have used the plastic paddle end of a long wooden handled windsheild scraper/brush. I don't like metal for scratching the paint. The BEST concept I had was a childs plastic D handled shovel, Maybe 30" long. EXCEPT it was too fragile, being only a toy.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,616  
Is a "hack" like a "trick" or "method" ? A new word for me.. but use such a shovel to clean the ashes out of my indoor wood boiler.. almost daily.
Exactly. As in using a tool or system in a way not intended by its makers. Often used negatively referring to hackers abusing a computer. But it's going back towards its roots as an term for something cool & inventive as well.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,617  
Whoops... Loose drag link end Bolt....:laughing:

100_8674 (2).JPG100_8675 (2).JPG

Can't believe I found the nut and lock washer, (40 feet away) .

Added some red locktite I should check for loose fasteners at least every couple seasons.

Back together and finished plowing:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #4,618  

Yep, a hack is a trick or method. As requested, here is a youtube video of my blower and machine in action. If you dare to root around on my youtube channel, there are others videos of my machine at work.
Enjoy
Ray
Snow removal in the Mountains - YouTube

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,619  
I have used the plastic paddle end of a long wooden handled windsheild scraper/brush. I don't like metal for scratching the paint. The BEST concept I had was a childs plastic D handled shovel, Maybe 30" long. EXCEPT it was too fragile, being only a toy.

Good idea with the snow scraper. The metal does scratch but my blower is older anyways. Will paint it in spring.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #4,620  
Whoops... Loose drag link end Bolt....:laughing:

View attachment 586495View attachment 586496

Can't believe I found the nut and lock washer, (40 feet away) .

Added some red locktite I should check for loose fasteners at least every couple seasons.

Back together and finished plowing:thumbsup:

I lost some nuts myself. I ended up finding it by using a metal detector.