Pin Hole Too Big

/ Pin Hole Too Big #61  
Messick's has a new swing frame for the BT820 listed for $762 dollars. If it was my machine, that is what I would do. I should have looked that up in the first place. Could have had it installed and good as new by now.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #62  
Messick's has a new swing frame for the BT820 listed for $762 dollars. If it was my machine, that is what I would do. I should have looked that up in the first place. Could have had it installed and good as new by now.

No there's an idea that solves the problem once and for all, no cob job required. Inexpensive, no, fixed, yes.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #63  
If you buy equipment anywhere, especially an auction, you are lucky if that wore out pin boss and rigged up wiring is all you find.

Alot of rental companies run stuff till their unskilled mechanics can't patch it anymore, then auction it off.

I have almost give up on renting stuff because of how crappy it is when you pick it up.

Some companies are way better-they usually rent cranes and bucket trucks.

The majority of equipment (and work vehicles) I have seen are treated with very little care. Run it till it stops, then patch together as quick as possible to continue making money.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #64  

I can't even imagine spending $762 + shipping to do such a repair.
cut the old worn piece off, weld on a new one, Done!

but hey, It's your money.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #65  
I can't even imagine spending $762 + shipping to do such a repair.
cut the old worn piece off, weld on a new one, Done!
but hey, It's your money.
I would first pull the pins on both sides so I could compare them (and the holes)to see if its actually worn, or if its just an undersized pin...

Aaron Z

/ Pin Hole Too Big #66  
Yes that is the necessary start to anything. Folks have offered lots of ideas from "cob" to Cadillac. Need to hear from OP and pix of the pins and holes.

/ Pin Hole Too Big
Washer Ground Off.jpgNew vs Removed Pin.jpg
Attached are pictures of the washer freshly ground off along with a side-by-side of a new pin versus the one removed. Best guess is that the assembly has not seen a bit of grease since it was manufactured. Strangely, the other side is greased and is good as new.

I am one dang bolt away from removing the swingframe from the boom. Heat and cussing failed to convince it to yield so the just delivered slide hammer is about to be put to the test. This was after constructing a Rube Goldberg frame to prevent the boom/dipperstick/bucket assembly from falling over and creating a cart that would hold the mainframe and stabilizers so that they could be wheeled out of the way when disconnected. It is an interesting education. Turns out that I have a welder/machinist a couple of hills from here and once that final bolt is coerced out I will be delivering the swingframe and DOM tubing to him. Hopefully, the end is near.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #68  
The pictures tell the story. Glad you're making headway.

/ Pin Hole Too Big #69  
Was the washer ONLY welded to the pin? If so, I still maintain it is purley cosmetic.

If the washer were welded to the swing frame, or both, then I could see it as a temp solution to lessen slop.

But from the looks of it and where it wore, there looks to be little wear around the center of the pin where the cylinder hooks. And this is the only place that should need it. The pin is bolted in place and shouldnt rotate in the swing frame. So there shouldnt be much wear there? Other than the pounding it takes. Certainly an odd occurance

/ Pin Hole Too Big
The washer was welded only to the pin. Had I been smart enough to put a mirror to the bottom of the pin, I would have noticed that the bottom bracket was hanging by a thread to the pin and a tap with a chisel would have negated the need to grind. There was minimal wear on the pin where it mates with the cylinder hook, but while I have it all apart I intend to replace that bushing also. Does anyone know if that should simply knock out or do I need a hydraulic press to remove and replace?