Grapple Piranha Root Grapple

/ Piranha Root Grapple #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
Saw a root grapple 48" made by piranha last night on the web. Weighs about 400# with single 2 armed grapple. Priced at about $700 + 175 shipping. Has cutting type teeth that should help loosen up rocks and grasp the bigger ones with the arm. Spacing between the tines in bucket is 5" which would allow smaller rocks thru. Thought I could weld rerod between the teeth to tighten up the bucket without too much additional weight or expense. I was originally thinking about better but more costly rock bucket like Milonzi, but with Piranha, I could get adequate rock bucket and grapple for half the cost.
I know, you usually get what you pay for, so that's why I am asking whether anyone has experience with the Piranha equipment?? Hate to save $$ on poor tools!!

/ Piranha Root Grapple #2  
I have been looking at the Piranha web site. I am in the market for a skid steer mount pallet fork, hay spear and a tree boom. I share your interest in the quality of the equipment. The price seems decent compared to Kubota's.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #3  
Millonzi 48 inch grapple is not way more the Pirhana. My quote is Very similar to yours. Call Joe M. he'll set ya right

/ Piranha Root Grapple #4  
Am I correct in thinking this is the grapple with the straight bottom tines? I am not sure what that is optimized for but it seems it might not do as good a job picking things up from the vertical collection position (jaws open and pointed down to pick up something under the grapple) as the straight bottom tines would allow material to slip out. It might do better as a rock collector as you point out however.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #5  
I agree with mscheer772. Contact Joe M. and inquire about the LD48 Grapple. I think you'll be surprised at the TBN price he'll give you. Plus, you'll save 115 lbs. of lift capacity (400 lbs. for the pirana vs. 285 lbs. for the LD48).

Good luck,
BR

/ Piranha Root Grapple #6  
Can someone give Joe M's contact info or shoot me a PM?

Thanks,
Chuck

/ Piranha Root Grapple #7  
I have had a 6' Piranha root grapple for 3 years and it has worked great for me. I have used it to move logs, brush, rocks and whatever else without fail. At the time, they were good people to deal with, fast shipping and a quality unit. Hard to beat, I think.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #8  
LaVita said:
Can someone give Joe M's contact info or shoot me a PM?

Thanks,
Chuck

This link will take you to Joe's profile here at TBN. From there, you can PM him.

BamaRob

/ Piranha Root Grapple
My problem is that I need a rock bucket, especially for the larger rocks like 6-10" that my rake won't pull well, Also the 1-3 foot boulders my buddy pulls out with backhoe. Also want to be able to clear some brush and deadfalls. Even though the Piranha root grapple is not going to be as good as a rock bucket for rocks or as good as a dedicated grapple for brush, the combined capabilities at substantially less cost than separate attachments is attractive. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have Milonzi 48" grapple and separate stone bucket, but it would cost me about twice as much. Down the road when we do more timber work, maybe.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #10  
flint, My Piranha is used 99% as a forestry tool. I have loaded thousands of logs one at a time on the trailers and firewood processor. Absolutely simple to tilt it down to vertical position and pinch a log in the end of the tines to pick it up and place it anywhere you want with total control. The top and bottom tines bypass each other so nothing is slipping past unless it is very short. We have used it to hold up entire trees and cut them off the ground, just gotta cut on both ends to keep some balance. I have used it for rocks from small to very large, and even to load junk iron and cars. A very versatile attachment, don't really matter what brand you get. It just seems this style is more usefull every day than other designs. Good luck, Keith