Planning a custom ballast box

/ Planning a custom ballast box #31  
Bit of conduit pipe.
Electric drill.
Wobbly steel rod that is loose in the conduit.. put the 3 together..
Concrete vibrator

/ Planning a custom ballast box
I was wondering the same thing and thought about a hammer drill as well, but to move 100's of pounds of concrete, it is probably a little much. Maybe rattling a piece of conduit, but not much more than that. I'll experiment for sure.

I'm building the box for what will be my concrete ballast box, and I'm interested in some opinions - everyone has one of those, right?

Anyway, this is where we are at right now. The box is, in round numbers, 17" deep, 21" tall, and 30" wide. It will weigh 900-1000# depending on which density one uses for the concrete. The floor of the box is 4x6" treated lumber, fastened to the frame with all-thread that extends up into the box to anchor the concrete. The back piece of plywood will remain with the box but the sides and the front (not shown) will be removed in the end (if the concrete will let them go :))

anyway, what I am wondering is if I should run a pair of diagonal steel braces from the receiver hitch up through the back of the box and connect through the top-link attachment point (with a hitch pin). I would have to cut some slots in the back of the box which would be a real PITA, but I could do it. I don't weld, so I would have to bolt it to the receiver hitch down below and I could add more bolts along the length to act as anchors to the concrete.

Is that worth it? I'm at odds about it.

20170226_153754.jpg

/ Planning a custom ballast box #35  
I'd think the concrete itself would be enough of a brace. Especially given the hooks going up the side. Toss some wire in there to reinforce the concrete a bit, it's denser than concrete anyway. Even just a loop of cable from the hitch to the top back would help a bit, no welding required on that. Who cares if you do an ugly job making a guy wire there too... it's about to get buried in concrete.

Personally I filled the bottom of mine with old brake disks & drums, then burried em in concrete. Denser than concrete & added reinforcement to some degree. Not that I needed strength as I was filling an old compressor tank, which is beefy enough.

Fallon, Thanks, I think you are right - or maybe I'm just being lazy, but I'm going go without a diagonal. I have some woven wire fencing I can add. I was going to add some lead, but I would much rather shoot it than use it in this and this will be plenty heavy in the end.

Thanks!

/ Planning a custom ballast box #37  
How are you planning to keep the concrete out of the receiver hitch?

I cut a 2x2" wooden block to fit in the back end. It is stopped from moving forward by a bolt that helps hold the hitch to the floor.

/ Planning a custom ballast box #39  
:thumbsup:

/ Planning a custom ballast box #40  
I cut a 2x2" wooden block to fit in the back end. It is stopped from moving forward by a bolt that helps hold the hitch to the floor.
I welded scrap to the back of the hole I cut for my QH top hook & stuck aluminum tape on the gaps. Worked fine for me, but it was at the top of my pour, so not much pressure.