Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #21  
I do not believe I said 1975? I did say 550. So possibly 1978.
Manual is not where I thought it was.
As soon as I locate it, will post what the reference is in the operators manual.
Ok finally found the manual, I conflated a couple things and am in error.

under 1% sulfur reduce oil change interval

The part I got backwards
The use of fuel with sulfur content above 1.3% is not recommended

This 550 did have a CAV injection pump failure just before i bought it and was replaced.

My 1993 Rhino tractor has a decal that recommends a fuel system lube be added.

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_183034442.jpg
    PXL_20230130_183034442.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
   / Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #22  
Many people "have heard" of injection pump issues in old diesels using ULSD but I doubt they are true. I run it in my 1973 Ford backhoe and my father runs in his 1973 Ford dump truck with a 8V71 Detroit with zero issues.
It ate the injection pump in my 66 Case 680CK. The guy that rebuilt the pump showed me the wear and $1500 later I had a rebuilt injection pump with almost all new internals and a case of additive to add to the fuel to lubricate the internals of the injection pump.

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #23  
But are you certain your injection pump wasnt worn from being so old, or what prior owners ran thru it.

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #24  
Lots of people feel fuzzy by running 2 stroke oil in their ULSD but again theres no evidence it does anything.

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #25  
But are you certain your injection pump wasnt worn from being so old, or what prior owners ran thru it.
I rebuilt the engine and had the injection pump and injectors rebuilt when the old pump and injectors would only allow the engine to get above idle, due to low injector pump pressure. I pulled the fuel tank and cleaned that and the lines while the pump was being rebuilt. I burned nothing by on road diesel from clean cans after that. No water problem. In 3000 hours the pump wouldn't let the engine rev above half throttle. Brought the pump and injectors back to the guy that rebuilt it the first time. The place is Garden State Diesel. www.gardenstatediesel.com He hooked my pump up and showed me the low pressure output, then cracked each injector. The injectors were fine, great spray pattern and well within pressure tolerance. He rebuilt the pump and I bought a case of diesel additive to lubricate the pump. Worked fine until I sold it.

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #26  
Ok finally found the manual, I conflated a couple things and am in error.

under 1% sulfur reduce oil change interval

The part I got backwards
The use of fuel with sulfur content above 1.3% is not recommended

This 550 did have a CAV injection pump failure just before i bought it and was replaced.

My 1993 Rhino tractor has a decal that recommends a fuel system lube be added.
Good Stuff!
Looks like the operators manuals from late '70s/early '80s semi-tractors.
That's the way it was.
Thanks for posting!

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #27  
My 1986 Ford 3910 had a new CAV pump on it when I bought it. But it also had a brand-new engine rebuild. The tractor was used for highway mowing. I bought the Ford rotary mower at the same auction. I couldn't determine the total hours on it since it had a homemade dash, but a universal meter read 2500 and something. No feelings either way on the CAV pump but it's still a good running tractor and fires right up. My avatar is what it looked like when I bought it--Shop made grill and top both with damage. It looks like it came out of the showroom now. ;)

This is what it looked like in 2008. The flail mower was from a different auction.

2008_1031Implements0011.JPG

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #28  
My 1986 Ford 3910 had a new CAV pump on it when I bought it. But it also had a brand-new engine rebuild. The tractor was used for highway mowing. I bought the Ford rotary mower at the same auction. I couldn't determine the total hours on it since it had a homemade dash, but a universal meter read 2500 and something. No feelings either way on the CAV pump but it's still a good running tractor and fires right up. My avatar is what it looked like when I bought it--Shop made grill and top both with damage. It looks like it came out of the showroom now. ;)

This is what it looked like in 2008. The flail mower was from a different auction.

View attachment 783413
Yep Really Like the Ford built tractors as well. At least with the CAV they aren't overly expensive to replace.
No such thing as a bad Ford tractor imo, some may just need a bit of help :).
Ford tractors "newest" model was built what 30 years ago.?

Like a Timex
They take a licking and just keep on Ticking

/ Please educate me about ultra low sulfur diesel #29  
Modern diesel injection systems operate at extremely high pressures, and the lack of lubricity in ULSD fuel is why pumps grenade all the time. It's why all three major pickup truck makers in this country have gone through extensive recalls on the injection systems and they've spent fortunes to retrofit trucks with better pumps that can handle the ULSD fuel.

Conversely, older diesel systems would run on almost anything. They're lower pressure systems that are not finnicky at all.

Therefore, an old tractor would accept ULSD easily with no additive. But on a new tractor or truck I would make sure to use a quality additive. Hot Shots brand makes stuff that actually works.

Newer diesel engines are designed to run only on ULSD. The manufacturers would either design the engines to run acceptably on it or get whacked with recall costs to fix what they screwed up. I am much more familiar with off-road diesels than road diesels but have not heard anything about ULSD-related recalls on off-road diesel engines. What I have heard about on-road engines being recalled was all about emissions systems component malfunctions, mainly EGR coolers and DPF/SCR setups.

I'm concerned that the "powers that be" will run out of adjectives to describe how little sulfur our next generation of fuel has in it. Am I the only one with this concern? What happens when we go from 15 ppm to 5 ppm? Maybe SULSD where the first S stands for Super? (tongue firmly in cheek) ;)

Kevin

Customers would not need to change anything at this time if fuel went from <15 ppm to <5 ppm so I doubt any of the nomenclature would change. The refiners would just silently ship "ULSD" at <5 ppm instead of the previous <15 ppm. The nomenclature would only change if there was some new emissions regs where the engine would be harmed if fed fuel >5 ppm sulfur.

The reason I say this is because that is exactly what has happened in the past. The amount of sulfur in diesel fuel had changed a lot before ULSD was introduced, it went from unlimited to 3000 ppm (no specific term used for this) to 500 ppm (called "low-sulfur diesel," or "LSD") to 15 ppm ULSD for on-road. The only time that anything was specifically marked started in 2006 when there were MY2007 and up on-road engines that could not burn anything but ULSD lest they ruin their new emissions equipment, but you could still buy <500 ppm LSD until 2010. The nomenclature and pump marking thus had to be done to keep people with the MY2007+ vehicles from putting LSD in their tanks. Now, with everything being ULSD and that having been the case since 2010 for on and off-road diesel, some diesel pumps aren't even marked that they are selling ULSD any more.