Plow now or wait?

/ Plow now or wait? #11  
So now I am really confused!

I am a Florida boy and using a plow for the first time. Last snow, what happened was bad. Got a few inches of nice fluffy snow. Next day was bitterly cold and we had the grandkids. And The Wife barked at me about leaving her.

When I went out the next day, were icy patches underneath. The worst was on our steepest curve that turns toward the house, where trucks have trouble in much less.

So I got out there manually spreading deicer. And started to slide. Ran-leaped to narrow grassy shoulder beside driveway above ravine. made it! But I couldn’t stop running—gravity had me!

I fell and rolled and knocked snot out of myself. Limped for two weeks.
Get a pair of these:
I've been using them for the last couple winters and they're considerable help
I have a pretty gimpy leg, so I need to be really careful when it's slick. With me, the trax aren't a cure-all, but they do lower the risk of falling

/ Plow now or wait? #12  
Do u have to go anywhere tomorrow?

/ Plow now or wait? #13  
Like the others say, if all you have is a plow than I'd plow. Hopefully you get some more snow to catch that ice. Always better to have the ice on top of snow than under it.

This is one of the reasons I like having a blower because I can just let the now lay there if we're in for ice. But with only a plow you have to keep it moved or you can end up in a situation where you can't get through it.

/ Plow now or wait? #14  
We are getting heavy snow now in SW VA. Snow is really piling up.

Then we are supposed to get "heavy freezing rain" at 4 p.m., then back to snow.

What do you all think of this strategy: let it pile up and wait till 5 p.m. to plow?

Hard to see it keep piling up, but if I go out and plow before the ice, I fear it will be harder to get rid of ice than if I can push most of it as snow.
By 'heavy snow' how much are you talking about?
Do you have a plow, blower, bucket, or some combination of those?

It's kind of a judgement call. Around here, if it's snowing heavy, I try and let no more than a foot accumulate before plowing. I don't have a blower. If it's windy, though, there's almost no point in plowing because the wind drifts the driveway shut again and it just makes it worse if the snow drifts from the piled up side.

If you have a blower, then you don't have the problem of making piles of snow along the drive to get drifted over higher than what you started with.

Ice is a different critter. As others have said, and you appear concerned about, if you clear the snow down to the ground, then ice falls, you'll have a skating rink until you salt it, or the sun shines, or temps warm up, or more snow falls on top of it.

I'd probably leave a few inches of snow hoping the ice would fall on top of it, then when it stops, remove it all at once.

But if it snows, then rains and turns the snow into frozen mush, you're gonna have that to deal with.

Again, it's all a judgement call based on your gut, experiences and local weather forecast accuracy. Good luck. Let's hope the forecasters get it wrong and it stays snow or rain.

/ Plow now or wait?
No where to go tomorrow. BUT I have started plowing a bit for neighbors when I do get out.

Guys, am not concerned with this snow about melting underneath—will get going before that.

The issue is when to attack this snow when I know freezing rain on top is coming. Am thinking I should wait till that happens. Not sure if I will have enough power. But it's "only" four inches of snow with rain/ice on top.

/ Plow now or wait?
Also, unlike last time, the ground is cold. So of course is pavement. Icing will happen anyway I think but it's not like it's going to happen much before I get out today or tomorrow. Well, with this freezing rain, and then more snow forecast, I do think I should get out at least after that.

/ Plow now or wait? #17  
What are you using to plow snow?

/ Plow now or wait? #18  
Worse comes to worse and the plow can't handle it, switch to your bucket after it's all over and scoop, turn to side, dump. Backup. Repeat.

/ Plow now or wait? #19  
then take half of it, and take the other half tomorrow. you haven't indicated what your plowing with, but I have spun a yukon sideways on 4 inches, all depends on the snow, only you are going to be able to judge your capability

/ Plow now or wait? #20  
4”? I drive thru that with my awd cars and snow tires.