Plow now or wait?

/ Plow now or wait?
By 'heavy snow' how much are you talking about?
Do you have a plow, blower, bucket, or some combination of those?

It's kind of a judgement call. Around here, if it's snowing heavy, I try and let no more than a foot accumulate before plowing. I don't have a blower. If it's windy, though, there's almost no point in plowing because the wind drifts the driveway shut again and it just makes it worse if the snow drifts from the piled up side.

If you have a blower, then you don't have the problem of making piles of snow along the drive to get drifted over higher than what you started with.

Ice is a different critter. As others have said, and you appear concerned about, if you clear the snow down to the ground, then ice falls, you'll have a skating rink until you salt it, or the sun shines, or temps warm up, or more snow falls on top of it.

I'd probably leave a few inches of snow hoping the ice would fall on top of it, then when it stops, remove it all at once.

But if it snows, then rains and turns the snow into frozen mush, you're gonna have that to deal with.

Again, it's all a judgement call based on your gut, experiences and local weather forecast accuracy. Good luck. Let's hope the forecasters get it wrong and it stays snow or rain.

Thanks all and to MossRoad. I don't think the 4 p.m. freezing rain will turn our 4+ inches to mush because it is too cold. It probably will affect the top some and make a crust.

But I lack experience removing snow so I am kind of freaking out.

/ Plow now or wait?
I have a 5' front blade on my 25 hp B2601. My first use, after last snow I explained, was a real learning curve tho the rig worked pretty well.

Front Blade1, 1-2-22.jpg

/ Plow now or wait? #23  
do half now, half tomorrow, leave a section you won't be affected by, and see how you do with that tomorrow to see how capable you are.

/ Plow now or wait?
Also should have said my drive is asphalt and very steep. Hay Dude helped last time with advice to stay in 2WD on pavement and not plow while going uphill.

/ Plow now or wait?
Can't tell how many of you are addressing my main question: timing.

I know, per the hourly forecast, that freezing rain is coming on top of 4" snow for about an hour. Then back to snow. My theory is wait till after the rain and attack.

/ Plow now or wait? #27  
Also should have said my drive is asphalt and very steep. Hay Dude helped last time with advice to stay in 2WD on pavement and not plow while going uphill.
unless your drive is bare dry, I would be in 4x4. this is something you need to learn, you can try uphill and see how that goes as well, if it doesn't work, stop turn around and go back down.

/ Plow now or wait?
If I was able to get the drive down to bare asphalt before the rain, it seems I'd create a disaster. Vs using the snow to help get rid of the ice.

/ Plow now or wait?
No, Mike. It's start at 1 o'clock today and plan to go back out. Or try to get it all off at 5 p.m.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2001 Kenworth T800 Vacuum Truck, (A33078)
2001 Kenworth T800...
(4) 12x16.5 Tires/Unused/Selling by the set (A33978)
(4) 12x16.5...
4 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
4 Yard steel end...
Miller Millermatic 175 230V Wire Welder (A33349)
Miller Millermatic...
(Approx 416) 1in x 4in x 8ft Cedar Planks. (A33079)
(Approx 416) 1in x...
2020 Hyster H50FT Industrial Forklift, (A33078)
2020 Hyster H50FT...