Plugging in generator to your house dangerous?

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #31  
This is how I get generator power when the lights go out.

During winter my generator sits outside under my covered deck at the end of the house with battery tender, and ground rod hooked up.

The generator cord is also already hooked up to the generator and the house.

First: I go inside the house and throw the transfer switch at the panel.

Second: I go outside and start the generator and let it warm up a bit.

Third: I switch the generator "power switch" on.

When the Co-op Power Company restores the power, I just turn off the generator power switch, shut off the generator, and throw the transfer switch at the panel.

KC

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #32  
So I have another thread about generators/inverters and looking at getting my place set up in case of emergency.

So that got me thinking that the plug configuration is backwards? I have watched some YouTube’s on hooking everything up and most people plug into the generator then go plug into the house.

Well, seeing that the 14l-30 plug “tangs’ or plug metal is exposed and hot with power from the generator, that seems pretty dangerous and I think the whole configuration is backwards. I would want my generator to have a male plug and my house to be a female plug? Then I could safely connect everything. But I am sure it won’t change but I am surprised there are not more accidents with people fumbling with hot 14l-30 plugs and getting 30 amp pumped into them or their dog when they accidentally drop the plug trying to lock it into the house plug in a storm…

But at least anyone using a generator should know to plug into your house then go plug into the generator second…but maybe there is something I don’t know about a 14l-30 plug. Certainly possible.
My house panel serving the house and farm outbuildings is "plugged in" permanently via a #6-3 cable running from a normally OFF 240V (emergency) breaker in the panel box. The cable is appropriate length, going outside and fitted with a male plug compatible with the generator. The plug resides in a protected location and is terminated by a female plug to cover the male prongs. Emergency power activation is to throw and lock the main breaker OFF, then remove the cable termination outside and plug the male into the gen. Start the gen, then go back inside and flip the emergency breaker ON. All selected ON breakers in the panel are now powered.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #34  
My house panel serving the house and farm outbuildings is "plugged in" permanently via a #6-3 cable running from a normally OFF 240V (emergency) breaker in the panel box. The cable is appropriate length, going outside and fitted with a male plug compatible with the generator. The plug resides in a protected location and is terminated by a female plug to cover the male prongs. Emergency power activation is to throw and lock the main breaker OFF, then remove the cable termination outside and plug the male into the gen. Start the gen, then go back inside and flip the emergency breaker ON. All selected ON breakers in the panel are now powered.
How do you stop someone from flipping the emergency breaker ON, when the main in ON?

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #36  
How do you stop someone from flipping the emergency breaker ON, when the main in ON?
There are interlock devices you can put on your panel so that only one of the two breakers can be on at a time. It does mean that the emergency breaker must be next to the main breaker.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #37  
I tape it OFF. But if you look at my post you quoted youll see that the cable leads to a protectively located and terminated plug. Still, yes, a determined, unauthorized, and foolish person could get shocked after complex behavior involving trespass, breaking and entering, some trial and error, and adamant cluelessness.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #38  
DDBC9D34-9085-4BC2-8517-5FBF047F2BEC.jpeg0FAC105D-EF20-4885-8335-3AB1192E97CA.jpeg

Like this. Left side has the main breaker locked. Right side has generator side locked and main open.

Attachments

• 083A847C-6AAC-486F-8D3D-E02A06005438.jpeg
    083A847C-6AAC-486F-8D3D-E02A06005438.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
   / Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #39  
This is what you want on the house......they come in different amperages....this is a 30 amp.
shopping.png