Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator?

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #1  

deltatango

Tractor
NH TC21
Greetings all,
We are planning the location of our standby generator and am interested in input from the community on where to locate it.
My tank is on the opposite side of the house (~70ft through conditioned crawlspace) from my electrical service entrance.
Do I put the generator next to the propane for a less expensive propane install, but a 6AWG power run to my panel? Or close to the panel, but longer propane?
I am comfortable doing electrical work, but not the propane work. So, the propane will will have to be contracted out.
Thanks for your input!

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #2  
All the ones I can recall seeing are very close to the electrical panel. But those have all been NG and it's usually entering near there too I'd bet. It seems like main panel, transfer switch, backup generator - kind of makes sense for those to all be right there together if for nothing else maintenance down the road.

I'd be thinking about what rooms are on other side of wall from generator? I'd want it along garage or kitchen, or as far away from bedrooms if there wasn't some other good reason to have it elsewhere. I only say that because our AC compressor is literally 3' from my headboard in our master bedroom and I hate hearing that thing cycle (but would hate a 90ー bedroom even more I guess.....). But I'm sure that's cycling much more frequently than a generator would anyway.

Are there any code requirements that make the choice for you? Like X' from doors? Would think there are some considerations there - at least in as much as where it can't go & pass inspection.....

From pure aesthetics, as close to AC compressor or heat pump or fireplace dog box might make sense too - keep all the eyesores together so at least 3 clean sides of the house? If there has to be something else looking "out of place" along one of the exterior walls anyway, maybe cluster that all together if it works there?

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #3  
Greetings all,
We are planning the location of our standby generator and am interested in input from the community on where to locate it.
My tank is on the opposite side of the house (~70ft through conditioned crawlspace) from my electrical service entrance.
Do I put the generator next to the propane for a less expensive propane install, but a 6AWG power run to my panel? Or close to the panel, but longer propane?
I am comfortable doing electrical work, but not the propane work. So, the propane will will have to be contracted out.
Thanks for your input!

I dont think it matters as long as the generator is away from falling snow and ice that may come off the roof. I have my natural gas 16kw Generac at the corner of my house about 18 inches from the house wall. The electrical is run under ground to the opposite side of the house and goes into an auto switch.
Propane you may want to get some estimates because that can be the most expensive part...mine was 500 dollars just to run it 24 feet-above ground by a licensed plumber.

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #4  
Are there any code requirements that make the choice for you? Like X' from doors? Would think there are some considerations there - at least in as much as where it can't go & pass inspection.....

Codes? : Yes. No. Maybe. Codes are usually a local requirement as adopted by the jurisdiction you live under. Typically a municipality adopts a recognized "Standard" by a recognized organization. For example, your building code my require all electrical work conform to the National Electric Code (NEC) 2017. Or maybe it only needs to be NEC 2014 and they haven't adopted 2017 yet.

There is a nationally recognized "standard" from National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) for stationary combustion engines (NFPA 37) that says engines have to be at least 5 ft from openings in walls (doors, windows, etc...) and from combustible walls. A clearance of less than 5 ft to wall is allowed where all portions of structures have a 1 hr fire resistance rating, but 5 ft is still required from openings.

Regardless of where the generator is, you want the transfer switch near the main panel because you have to run utility or panel power to the transfer switch and back from the switch to the panel or branch circuits.

Some things to think about regarding plumbing electrons or gas:
The electrons can only leak from the plumbing if the generator is running. The Gas is always in the pipe.
If the electrons leak, the circuit breaker at the generator should quickly stop the leak.
If Gas leaks from pipe, you, or your survivors, find out about it when you flip the light switch.
I have a bias.
:2cents:

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #5  
Codes? : Yes. No. Maybe. Codes are usually a local requirement as adopted by the jurisdiction you live under. Typically a municipality adopts a recognized "Standard" by a recognized organization. For example, your building code my require all electrical work conform to the National Electric Code (NEC) 2017. Or maybe it only needs to be NEC 2014 and they haven't adopted 2017 yet.

There is a nationally recognized "standard" from National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) for stationary combustion engines (NFPA 37) that says engines have to be at least 5 ft from openings in walls (doors, windows, etc...) and from combustible walls. A clearance of less than 5 ft to wall is allowed where all portions of structures have a 1 hr fire resistance rating, but 5 ft is still required from openings.

Regardless of where the generator is, you want the transfer switch near the main panel because you have to run utility or panel power to the transfer switch and back from the switch to the panel or branch circuits.

Some things to think about regarding plumbing electrons or gas:
The electrons can only leak from the plumbing if the generator is running. The Gas is always in the pipe.
If the electrons leak, the circuit breaker at the generator should quickly stop the leak.
If Gas leaks from pipe, you, or your survivors, find out about it when you flip the light switch.
I have a bias.
:2cents:

I would not run another gas line under my house due to this. I would run electrical. Get the right size wire and the loss will be minimal.

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #6  
I'd go with closer to the electrical panel because of line-loss (70 feet is a lot). Propane piping is relatively cheap...a qualified plumber or "gas rat" can tee off your existing feed with black-pipe and then out to the generator with copper and brass. Of course much depends on where you least want the noise. Next to your bedroom would be a no.

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #7  
Our garage is 200ft or so from house, propane and electric is there. Do you have a detached garage like that?
Then my neighbor just recently had a (Generac I think) generator installed. It's very close to his electric panel box and they buried a line and installed a 500 gallon tank behind a shed about 100ft away. He now has two propane tanks, the other one is on other side of house for gas fireplace logs and a gas stove.

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #8  
It's easy to upsize wire to offset voltage drop, so distance should not be an issue for electrical, within reason. My generator is about 30' from our house in a separate shed.

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #9  
Voltage drop is something to consider. Protecting that length of wire is another. Would want fuses or breaker at generator. Can up size wire. Not sure how far you can push propane, and if need upsize. My tank is around 70 feet from boiler. They ran black iron through house.

I worked as contractor installing gas and electric. Most people should not install electric. Especially if you are more concerned about gas.

/ Plumbing Electrons vs Propane...where to put the generator? #10  
Greetings all,
Thanks for your input!
its always best to keep gen close to gas source. The further you place it, the larger the pipe will need to be for gas. It will aldo need go be black pipe if under house. Always cheaper to run electrical.