Pocket Gopher Control

/ Pocket Gopher Control #51  
Hi, Maybe it was here but I read of a small (mole) rodent solution that I have used and works! Mix equal parts corn meal and Plain cement, dump down hole being careful not to leave any on the surface for your pets to get into, cover the hole(s) with loam and voila! Part of my lawn was like caddy shack, actually dangerous to try to mow with my walk behind. I gave it the treatment, smoothed out the holes and its been fine all summer. If the critter gets out and dies it will only have a hard lump in it, no poison for birds or pets.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #53  
Some animals are called different things around the country. I assume you are talking about what here in Michigan a Mole. Here's my technique for Moles, the little suckers that that burrow a tunnel just under the grass. They have primary tunnels that they like to keep open, if you stomp them down, they will quickly try to reopen them. So I find the primary tunnel and then sit back with a 12 gauge and wait. Before too long you'll see the grass start to move as they try to repair the collapsed tunnel. You need to be very quiet as you work your way to the movement. You'll see the grass moving up and down. Right when it moves up, blast it from about a foot away, then grab a shovel, and you'll find a dead mole, usually blown in half.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #55  
buy a .17 caliber rifle. Either ,17HMR or a .17 Winchester super mag. Hide 50 yards away and choot em up.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #56  
Have killed hundreds of moles with a scissor trap. The trick....dig down deep enough to find their tunnel......make a mound between the tunnel openings.....place the trap carefully over the mound.....throw some light dirt on top.....check the trap next day.....dead mole.....have beer!

/ Pocket Gopher Control #57  
Dachshunds - natural mole, vole, gopher hunters. I had one that taught my black lab and my brown nose pit bull to hunt them. Funniest trio you ever would see as they come sauntering up with dirt running up the bridge of their noses.
I would go check their “trails” and tell them how good of a job they did.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #58  
Dachshunds - natural mole, vole, gopher hunters. I had one that taught my black lab and my brown nose pit bull to hunt them. Funniest trio you ever would see as they come sauntering up with dirt running up the bridge of their noses.
I would go check their “trails” and tell them how good of a job they did.
Yep. We had the sweetest Dachshund girl. She'd dig at the mole mound and just lay there patient as could be. 20 - 30 minutes later, the thing would pop its head out, she'd snap its neck, whip the mole over her shoulder and finish her nap.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #59  
Just last Thursday I mowed our valley for thistles and junk. I couldn't believe how many pocket gopher mounds there were, nor how big. Usually when I see them in in a road ditch they might be 5-7 inches tall and 16-18 inches across. This time they were insane. I hit one that was 16 inches tall and 3 feet wide by 5 feet long. My entire BX sat on top of this one mound. And there were several dozen mounds. My front axle would hit one and flex up on one side enough that the downhill wheel lifted completely off the ground. My feet would follow the flex of the front wheels while my butt would stay in line with the back wheels. I can't imagine how many traps and baits I would need to set to clear out all the gopher condos on this one acre.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #60  
Use exhaust from a lawnmower engine with the choke 1/2 closed. I have not tried this, but it should work.