Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy????

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #1  

SJay

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225 Tractor, John Deere 4x2 Gator, Husqvarna Zero Turn, John Deere Buck 650 ATV
Hi Polaris Owners. Thought I would post this question to the forum.

Currently have a 17 year old 4x2 Gator and am looking for something to use for working on my property and also giving the grandchildren a ride occasionally.

After driving a few of them - I am down to a Polaris Crew 570-4, John Deere UTV 825 S4 or a Kubota RTV X1140. Cost is important and they are 11,500, about 16,500 and 17,500. I liked the ride of all 3, but the like the bed size on the Deere and Kubota. I like the price of the Polaris.

I do not run my machine hard and will not be going off roading with them other than the trails on my property (Slow). I only have 600 hours on my Gator and it is 17 years old.

Seem to see a lot of negative on the reliability of the Polaris. What has your experience been? Thanks

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #3  
You can’t go wrong with the Kubota. The hydrostatic transmission is SO much better for a work machine than a CVT belt. I have a RTV X1100 and it has been flawless in 2 1/2 years and 300 hours.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #4  
Should have said in my original post too, the three you list don't really compare at all. The Polaris you 570 listed is fairly low on power for it's size. If you load up the seats with folks it is a real dog.

The Ranger Crew 900 is more comparable to the Deere and Kubota you have listed.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #5  
Recently I was looking into buying a used UTV - before I came back to reality and decided on another CUT. Came to the conclusion that anything without a CVT (belt) is the way to go. The Hondas -if you can afford them - seem to be the most reliable but I'm sure the Kubota diesel owners would have something to say about that. I also found a bunch of negative reviews on the newer Polaris machines and quickly decided against one. Since pretty much all UTV's do the same thing it really boils down to the motor/trans and I'm sure Honda and Kubota have much more engineering experience in that department.
With all that said, and considering your light usage you can probably get just about any brand and not be disappointed. Get the least expensive one you can find - just don't let the grand kids drive it when they grow up!

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy????
Yes, I did drive the Mule, didn't care for it. I don't want doors. May take a look at the Yamaha, depends on the cargo box size. The reason the 570-4 is in there we tried it first and really liked it, but the box is somewhat small. Looked a the Deere and Kubota. Looking for opinions on all three - any input is appreciated.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #7  
Stay away from Polaris. We have a 900XP, fun to ride but it wears out quick.. Ours gets used, well used too.. just saying.. Going to a Honda next..

I would like to also mention how bad dust is in the side bys. We also have a 855D not near as comfortable but it's been a tank compared to the 900 but not near as fun or power..

Did I mention how bad dust is in a side by side..

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #8  
Should have said in my original post too, the three you list don't really compare at all. The Polaris you 570 listed is fairly low on power for it's size. If you load up the seats with folks it is a real dog.

The Ranger Crew 900 is more comparable to the Deere and Kubota you have listed.
The HP specs I found
Deere UTV 845- 50 HP.
Kubota RTV X 1140- 24.8 HP
Polaris crew 570- 44 HP.
Polaris Ranger crew 900- 68 HP.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy???? #9  
We will never own another Polaris product- terrible reliability and bad warranty. There is a reason there are a ton of one year old ones for sale used and hardly ever see a new Gator or Mule for sale.

We like the Kawasaki Mule Pro and have 2 of them- thought we would not like the doors but love them now, of course they are easy to take off as well. The Gator is basically the same Chery 3 cylinder gas engine in a less desirable vehicle.

Honda makes a great UTV but bed is small. Same with Yamaha.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. The Mule has a huge cargo bed and rides well, certainly fast enough for us. If you are doing heavy choring and towing and don't mind a really slow vehicle, the Kubota RTV is the ticket because of the tractor transmission. I have heard people having problems with them (leaking seals, wheel bearings eaten up) but many love them

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Reliability Question - What UTV to Buy????
Well, looked at a used Mule Pro 6 seater tonight. Only had 275 hours on it and is a 2015. Gave them some money to hold if for me. Thanks for all the help.